PDA

View Full Version : Playlists transfer or copying from a ReadyNas

kmlevine
2009-12-21, 15:23
Hi and Happy Holidays,

I am trying to use my playlists, locaated on a Readynas along with my wav files so I can burn playlists to CD. All I get when I copy, save or try to open the playlists are empty icons. Can anyone clue me in to how to proceed?
Thank Ken

aubuti
2009-12-21, 15:32
What software are you trying to use to burn the CD? You can't do it with Squeezebox Server.

kmlevine
2009-12-21, 17:09
I have a choice of Nero Burn ROM, EAC, Imageburn, JRiver Media Center, or MediaMMonkey. But I keep gettting on;y icons unless I individualy copy each file.
Your advice wuold be most appreciated.

Ken

aubuti
2009-12-21, 20:40
You probably know this, but your playlists are nothing more than simple text files with lists of the tracks, giving the full path and file specification. Unless you can get one of those programs to treat the playlist as a shortcut, so that it actually goes out and reads the file from the ReadyNAS and burns it to CD, then you have do something manually. That "something" could be copying the files individually to your pc, as you mention.

A slightly more efficient "something" would be to open a playlist in SBS or any other program that can read it, just to give you something to refer to. Then open the burning program and add the relevant tracks to the list of tracks to be burned. Most of these programs have a simple drag-and-drop interface for doing so.

All of this is rather tangential to Squeezeboxes. SBs and SB Server don't deal with burning CDs at all. You need to decide which of those programs you want to work with and then use that. Btw, EAC won't help you because that's a ripping program, not a burning program.

kmlevine
2009-12-21, 23:28
Thank you for your message. It sure seems like there has to be easy way to automate this.

By the way, if you are interested in listening to "Force of Nature" a CD that I produced last year with Hawaiian Slack Key Master Ledward Kaapana & 12 string player and song writer Mike Kaawa, I can send you a download link for either wave or MP3 files. Force of Nature was nominated for a Grammy for Best Hawaiian
CD of the year.

Ken

lrossouw
2009-12-22, 00:06
Thank you for your message. It sure seems like there has to be easy way to automate this.

By the way, if you are interested in listening to "Force of Nature" a CD that I produced last year with Hawaiian Slack Key Master Ledward Kaapana & 12 string player and song writer Mike Kaawa, I can send you a download link for either wave or MP3 files. Force of Nature was nominated for a Grammy for Best Hawaiian
CD of the year.

Ken

Assuming it's not copyright, why don't you post it in the Music section for all? If you want?
http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

kmlevine
2009-12-22, 01:17
I'll post a couple tracks tomorrow.
thanks.

Any one else with an insight...your advice will be apreciated.

garym
2009-12-22, 05:03
I'll post a couple tracks tomorrow.
thanks.

Any one else with an insight...your advice will be apreciated.

I'm having difficulty determining what your issue is. With most CD burning software (from windows media player, to itunes, to dbpoweramp CD burner, etc.), you simply open your directory of music files, create a playlist, or drag/drop files themselves into a "window" of the burning software and then click on "create audio CD". Are you asking about how to automate creating lots of CDs at once? Again, maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm just not clear on what you are having trouble with. And as noted, squeezebox, squeezeboxserver, etc. etc. have NOTHING to do with burning CDs or creating playlists for burning CDs.

kmlevine
2009-12-22, 10:44
Hi

To clarify my issue…I use a Readnas FX with Squeezecenter (firmware) and my music library on the NAS drives. I have my pc map those folders as Z: drive. I rip to Z: and at this time the playlists are save ion a playlist folder on the Nas. When I drag, copy, import or open the Slim playlist, it doesn’t brnig either the tracks or the path or whatever is supposed to occur and I have empty icons that don’t play or burn. Probably I’m doing something stupid or not set an environmental element, but ..that’s my sad tale. What do I have to do to make this burnable?

garym
2009-12-22, 10:47
i'm still confused. Which burning software are you using, and what do you see when you open it? If you can provide this info, someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.

Every burning software has a method for adding tracks to burn to its own list. Squeeze software has NOTHING to do with burning CDs.

aubuti
2009-12-22, 11:15
To clarify my issue…I use a Readnas FX with Squeezecenter (firmware) and my music library on the NAS drives. I have my pc map those folders as Z: drive. I rip to Z: and at this time the playlists are save ion a playlist folder on the Nas. When I drag, copy, import or open the Slim playlist, it doesn’t brnig either the tracks or the path or whatever is supposed to occur and I have empty icons that don’t play or burn. Probably I’m doing something stupid or not set an environmental element, but ..that’s my sad tale. What do I have to do to make this burnable?
I'll try to say this another way and maybe it will be clearer: your CD burning software does not read the playlists and then chase down the tracks on the ReadyNAS. Maybe some CD burning software exists that will do this, but I haven't come across any software like that yet.

You need to drag the _tracks_ themselves into the CD burning software. Don't drag the playlists. Drag the tracks.

kmlevine
2009-12-23, 00:34
i should clarify

I use a Readnas FX with Squeezecenter (firmware) and my music library on the NAS drives. I have my pc map those folders as Z: drive. I rip to Z: and at this time the playlists are save ion a playlist folder on the Nas. When I drag, copy, import or open the Slim playlist, with NERO express or BurningRom, AS soon as you drag a m3u, it starts to copy files and then stops, with a message that one file can’t opened or copied. The file transfer process stops and there is no option but to cancel. It looks like cue sheet pointer or something non media file has been inserted. a no-media file pointer line has been inserted..
Of course I can copy each file individually or drag them, and then correct the order..buttt I thought this was the modern age.

Musically this is my vote today. Allen Toussaint, song writer New Orleans piano player extraordinare was here a few weeks ago. He is really a living legend. He will probably receive two Grammys this year…Lifetime Achievement award and for his CD The Bright Missippippi, which is excellent.

aubuti
2009-12-23, 02:32
i should clarify

I use a Readnas FX with Squeezecenter (firmware) and my music library on the NAS drives. I have my pc map those folders as Z: drive. I rip to Z: and at this time the playlists are save ion a playlist folder on the Nas. When I drag, copy, import or open the Slim playlist, with NERO express or BurningRom, AS soon as you drag a m3u, it starts to copy files and then stops, with a message that one file can’t opened or copied. The file transfer process stops and there is no option but to cancel. It looks like cue sheet pointer or something non media file has been inserted. a no-media file pointer line has been inserted..
Of course I can copy each file individually or drag them, and then correct the order..buttt I thought this was the modern age.

Musically this is my vote today. Allen Toussaint, song writer New Orleans piano player extraordinare was here a few weeks ago. He is really a living legend. He will probably receive two Grammys this year…Lifetime Achievement award and for his CD The Bright Missippippi, which is excellent.
Exactly *which* files do Nero Express and BurningRom "start to copy and then stop". Music files or m3u files?

Also, what are the paths *in* the m3u files? If you're running SBS on the ReadyNAS itself, I don't expect that it is seeing your music library as being on the mapped drive Z: because it will use a local filespec (eg, /mnt/music/<artist>/<album>/<track>). But that local path makes no sense to your pc, which only sees the library via the mapped drive letter.

I don't know if Nero Express or BurningRom will chase down the tracks based on an m3u playlist. Have you ever done it successfully with a playlist and tracks on your pc (ie, not on the NAS)? If so, then to pull them off the ReadyNAS you need to give the burning software the right path to follow. You could try making a modified copy of a playlist that points them to the correct place. Copy a playlist, do a global search and replace of the paths to something your pc can understand, and try copying that. Worth a try, but no promises.

kmlevine
2009-12-23, 12:49
I think that probably is exactly the problem. I'll try to edit the offending line out of the playlist., Actually I think I made it work several years ago, early in Squeezebox days by changing the playlist to pls file or something like that. I give these options a try and let you know. Thanks for your help.

garym
2009-12-23, 13:00
And I very much agree on the Allen Toussaint recommendation. A giant! Saw him a year or so ago in NYC with Elvis Costello when they were touring behind their joint album.

aubuti
2009-12-23, 13:05
I think that probably is exactly the problem. I'll try to edit the offending line out of the playlist., Actually I think I made it work several years ago, early in Squeezebox days by changing the playlist to pls file or something like that. I give these options a try and let you know. Thanks for your help.
If it's what I think it is then each and every track will be an "offending line". Even so, you should be able to edit it quickly via global search and replace. I suggest you save the edited versions that point to mapped drive on your pc, not on the ReadyNAS.

And if it works in the end, please post back with what burning software you used. It would be useful to know which packages support this kind of convenience.