PDA

View Full Version : Announce:VortexBox 1.0

agillis
2009-12-21, 09:03
After several months of hard work we have released VortexBox 1.0. It has many of the features requested by the SqueezeBox community including

* FLAC to Apple Lossless (m4a) mirroring through the web GUI
* MusicBrainz and CDDB used for automatic ID3 tagging
* Tool tips for each section in the GUI
* Logitech SqueezeCenter 7.4.1 pre installed and configured
* Software upgrades through the web GUI

1.0 also has a lot of bug fixes including better handling of existing cover art.

For a complete change log see
http://vortexbox.org/changelog/

mbonsack
2009-12-21, 21:16
If you've upgraded to 7.4.2 on an earlier (pre 1.0) vortexbox installation, can you upgrade to Vortexbox 1.0 and leave the squeezebox server installation as is? I don't want to downgrade to 7.4.1...

agillis
2009-12-21, 21:19
If you've upgraded to 7.4.2 on an earlier (pre 1.0) vortexbox installation, can you upgrade to Vortexbox 1.0 and leave the squeezebox server installation as is? I don't want to downgrade to 7.4.1...

Yes, just do a yum update. It will not touch your SqueezeBox Server 7.4.2

bernt
2009-12-22, 00:19
Nice work. Thanks.

/Bernt

STEVESPUR
2009-12-25, 10:26
Only heard of Vortexbox a few weeks ago, and and now thinking of getting the new VB 1.0

Some (probably obvious) questions though -

I am planning to use this as a NAS - i.e. I do not have a 'spare' computer hanging around as has been mentioned in other forums re VBOX. So is this device a stand alone piece of hardware?

On the presumption that it is, (how) will I be able to transfer music currently on my PC to the V/Box?

Can I download new music direct from the internet to the V/Box?

Can it be bought in the UK?

Sorry if these questions are on the basic side!!!

Many thanks

socistep
2009-12-25, 14:45
Only heard of Vortexbox a few weeks ago, and and now thinking of getting the new VB 1.0

Some (probably obvious) questions though -

I am planning to use this as a NAS - i.e. I do not have a 'spare' computer hanging around as has been mentioned in other forums re VBOX. So is this device a stand alone piece of hardware?

On the presumption that it is, (how) will I be able to transfer music currently on my PC to the V/Box?

Can I download new music direct from the internet to the V/Box?

Can it be bought in the UK?

Sorry if these questions are on the basic side!!!

Many thanks

Hi

It is standalone, however you'll need to add it to your network/router to be able to stream music.

For transferring music, once it is on the network then you'll be able to see the Vortexbox on your network and transfer files either over the network or if you have an external HD via plugging that in and copying (believe you'll need to go some linux for that but could be wrong).

In terms of downloading music from the internet that will be easy, if you are on your laptop for example you will see the Vortexbox under a network share and can download the music direct into the 'vortexbox' folder.

It can be bought in the UK but there is a shipping fee, I use vortexbox and think its fantastic, the amount of time and energy saved through it is a lot! I however built my own low powered server and installed vortexbox as the operating system, the units came out after and look really good

Cheers
Ian

upstatemike
2009-12-29, 08:20
Some more general VortexBox questions:

1- I currently use an ASUS Eeebox to serve 16+ zones of music. Can a Vortexbox scale to that many players?

2- Could a Vortexbox serve Squeezeboxes and Sonos players at the same time? (Not interoperability - just asking about load and making sure there are no mutually exclusive configuration settings).

maggior
2009-12-29, 08:55
...and I thought I had a lot of squeezeboxes.

I'm curious as to what your application is for so many squeezeboxes.

upstatemike
2009-12-29, 09:08
...and I thought I had a lot of squeezeboxes.

I'm curious as to what your application is for so many squeezeboxes.

No special application... I have a lot of places where I want to listen to music. I don't like "traditional" multi-zone systems that require you to wire keypads in your walls and then only allow very limited control of your music (volume, source, and very little else).

I also never seem to throw anything away so as I moved from SliMP3s to SB3s I never got rid of the old players - just retasked them to display messages and stuff. I even have an old AudioTron around that I used before I discovered Slim Devices.

agillis
2009-12-29, 09:24
VortexBox will have no problems supporting 16 players. It can support your Sonos players as well.