PDA

View Full Version : amplified speakers - Klipsch-XF-48-Icon-X?

markbelanger
2009-12-17, 12:08
I'm currently considering retiring my giant hurking cabinet and stack of amp / pre-amp / sacd player / turntable (gasp!), and going the route of amplified speakers. The Audioengine A5's are my current pick, but I see the Klipsch-XF-48-Icon-X on sale (@ $400 each, but were $1250, and I'm a sucker for "a deal") They oddly pitch them as home theater (who does 5.1 without an amp/ rec'r?)

In either case, they would be the (stereo) sound for a squeezebox classic (a slimdevices 3, actually) and replace the Dali bookshelves on stands.

I realize the two aren't really comparable - the Klipsh are floor standers, twice the price, etc. But if you have experience in this arena, lemme know what you think - I'm "sold" on the A5's, but I'm not sure if I'm up-sold on the Klipshes. Hoping to audition this weekend.

iPhone
2009-12-17, 13:55
I'm currently considering retiring my giant hurking cabinet and stack of amp / pre-amp / sacd player / turntable (gasp!), and going the route of amplified speakers. The Audioengine A5's are my current pick, but I see the Klipsch-XF-48-Icon-X on sale (@ $400 each, but were $1250, and I'm a sucker for "a deal") They oddly pitch them as home theater (who does 5.1 without an amp/ rec'r?)

In either case, they would be the (stereo) sound for a squeezebox classic (a slimdevices 3, actually) and replace the Dali bookshelves on stands.

I realize the two aren't really comparable - the Klipsh are floor standers, twice the price, etc. But if you have experience in this arena, lemme know what you think - I'm "sold" on the A5's, but I'm not sure if I'm up-sold on the Klipshes. Hoping to audition this weekend.

Many people are now letting the DVD Player do the processing. They use the RCA outputs on the back of the DVD Player to drive a stereo amp for the mains and self powered speakers for the surrounds (of course the subwoofer is powered). But one could actually use all powered speakers if they wanted to.

My son uses a pair of AVI ADM9.1s with the subwoofer for the fronts, an AE A5 for center channel, two AE A2 for rears with an Earthquake Subwoofer on the LFE out. He uses the digital out to drive the ADM9.1 and RCAs to drive the rest. He can listen to CDs using the DVD player coming over the ADM9.1s. DVD remote has a volume control on it.

I have not heard the Klipsh Speakers but they are floor standers so they most likely have better base and of course they have more power then the A5s. If you are going to use them as your main speakers and have the room, I say spend the extra $400.

markbelanger
2009-12-17, 14:10
Interesting - it does make sense for home theater too, but seems an easier win for stereo. I appreciate the advice - it's my inclination re: bass as well. I'll post my thoughts on the Klipsch floor-standers' sound after a listen. The A5's I can attest to - very nice. Inclined to take your advice though - a little extra for maybe a lot more...

Kyle
2009-12-19, 08:35
The A5's are very nice speakers, but for me, a sub is required, especially at low volumes. I have a pair in my office for background music, and the sound really opens up when the Denon sub kicks in.