PDA

View Full Version : Can a SB3 stream from any DLNA server?

probedb
2009-12-15, 06:40
Hi,

I've had a SB3 for a long time now but I've always wondered if it's able to stream from any DLNA server software or whether it has to be Squeezecenter server?

Cheers :)
Paul.

alfista
2009-12-15, 07:21
Nope, can't stream from DLNA.

andyg
2009-12-15, 07:23
Sort of, you can enable UPnP mode in Settings -> Advanced -> Networking, but the players do not directly support UPnP without a Squeezebox Server running.

probedb
2009-12-15, 08:05
Bugger :( I have Twonky running for my WD TV Live and am having trouble with squeezeboxserver so just having twonky would have been nice. Oh well.

pski
2009-12-15, 19:14
the hell would you want to?

What advantage would you get?

It's a "LOST" standard that isn't important to anyone.

P

What's needed is is throughput standard that says HD at such-and-such is possible with this source drive and playback video hardware.

It won't be soon.

The fragementation of "DLNA" is impossible to explain here.

probedb
2009-12-16, 02:04
the hell would you want to?

What's that got to do with you and why the hostile attitude?

What advantage would you get?

Only having to run one bit of software on my server to stream both audio and video.

It's a "LOST" standard that isn't important to anyone.

P

What's needed is is throughput standard that says HD at such-and-such is possible with this source drive and playback video hardware.

It won't be soon.

The fragementation of "DLNA" is impossible to explain here.

I don't care what you think about DLNA, I didn't ask for your opinions on it. My PS3 and WD TV Live are perfectly happy streaming using DLNA, it's just a pity the Squeezebox isn't. I want to stream music, I'm not interested in internet radio and all the other goodies that Squeezebox Server allows for.