PDA

View Full Version : Sheevaplug and BBC iPlayer

Zoltan
2009-12-13, 15:25
I was on the point of ordering a Sheevaplug but looking through the Sheevaplug installation thread, I came across a query about the compatibility of the BBC iplayer plugin that wasn't answered definitively there as far as I can see and I haven't managed to find an answer elsewhere. I think (but am not sure) that the question might boil down to whether mplayer is available/will run on the Sheevaplug.

If not available this would be a deal breaker for me so I would welcome any experience either way.

Thanks.

bpa
2009-12-13, 16:00
BBCiPlayer does not use mplayer. Mplayer was needed for AlienBBC but BBC will stop using RealAudio in March 2010.

BBCiPlayer can deliver streams in various formats. For best quality Flash/AAC which needs a special version of faad for older players - AFAIK faad is part of standard SBS for ARM.

BBCiplayer can also deliver WMA streams which will be played natively on most SB players and so no transcoding by server is needed.

Zoltan
2009-12-13, 16:07
BBCiPlayer does not use mplayer. Mplayer was needed for AlienBBC but BBC will stop using RealAudio in March 2010.

OK thanks - seems like I misunderstood about mplayer. So it looks like Sheevaplug is OK for me! Thanks!