PDA

View Full Version : Playing through the same computer as Squeezebox Server

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 14:32
Hello everyone,

I am new here but LOVE my Squeezebox deluxe. I has a question for the gurus.

The computer that has all my media on it and Squeezebox server installed (iTunes sync) is on the bottom level of my house. It is the only level not wired for speakers on the stereo. My Squeezebox deluxe is upstairs.

Is there a way to listen to whats playing in the rest of the house (The Squeezebox) on the same computer as the server. I know I can open the web control but there seems to be no way for me to hear it on the computer speakers.

Any ideas?

pippin
2009-12-12, 14:42
look in the 3rd party plugins forum for softsqueeze and install it on the computer.
That will give you a 2nd player

tcutting
2009-12-12, 14:43
There are three "software" player options which would allow you to use you computer as a "virtual" squeezebox.
Softsqueeze is a java-based software emulator for the older squeezeboxes - SB3/Classic, Transporter. It used to be available through the Server web GUI, but isn't there anymore. If you search the forums for Softsqueeze, you should be able to locate the current version - it's not an official "squeeze" product, but is maintained by 3rd parties.
Squeezeslave is another option. It is "gui-less" (has no user interface), but also doesn't use many of the computer's resources. I have an instance of squeezeslave running on my desktop, and control what I listen to either through the SqueezeboxServer web interface, using the controller, or using the nice 3rd party app "Moose" on my Windows PC. Again, you should search the Forum for links to the current version.
The last choice is Squeezeplay. It's the only one that's created by the actual Squeezebox folks - it's a desktop version of the software which runs on the Controller, Radio and Touch. It includes the ability to enable the player feature. It's "beta" software, so isn't completely supported by Logitech. It's available from the download areas where you would download the Squeezebox Server software.

Siduhe
2009-12-12, 14:43
You need to install a bit of software.

There are a couple of options - Squeezeplay (which is still in beta/development but works pretty well IMHO - but is only precomplied for Mac and Windows right now) or Softsqueeze (which is deprecated, but still works for me).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.4

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/download.html

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 14:44
Hmmm. Where would I find that?

I just installed SqueezePlay, which shows what playing but doesn't give me any sound.

EDIT: I typed the question before all the links. Sorry and thanks for all the advice. Any idea why i am not getting sound through SqueezePlay? I chose "Squeezebox" as the player and it does show whats playing upstairs but no sound.

Siduhe
2009-12-12, 14:47

I just installed SqueezePlay, which shows what playing but doesn't give me any sound.

Squeezeplay can be used to control any of your players, so you need to make sure you've selected the tracks to play on Squeezeplay specifically (rather than on any of your other players)? Could that be the problem?

garym
2009-12-12, 14:49

Within squeezeplay have you selected the computer "squeezeplay" software as the player? You might have your actual squeezebox selected as the player within your squeezeplay software. in the menu, select SETTINGS, then CHOOSE PLAYER, then your squeezeplay. You will probably notice your other player listed there as well.

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 14:53
Within squeezeplay have you selected the computer "squeezeplay" software as the player? You might have your actual squeezebox selected as the player within your squeezeplay software. in the menu, select SETTINGS, then CHOOSE PLAYER, then your squeezeplay. You will probably notice your other player listed there as well.

When I pick 'SqueezePlay'. It plays independently of the SqueezeBox. When I choose 'SqueezeBox" it shows what playing but no sound. I'd like to just "tap in" to whats already playing upstairs if that makes sense

garym
2009-12-12, 15:02
When I pick 'SqueezePlay'. It plays independently of the SqueezeBox. When I choose 'SqueezeBox" it shows what playing but no sound. I'd like to just "tap in" to whats already playing upstairs if that makes sense

You need to synchronize the two players. Are you running the squeezebox off the squeezebox server software on your PC? Open the web interface to SbS and go through the steps to synchronize playback on the two players. EDIT: in the webinterface to the server under the select player dropdown menu, you'll see the option to synchronize.

pippin
2009-12-12, 15:03

Choose SqueezePlay
Then there is an option (in Settings, I believe) to sync players. Here you sync your SqueezePlay to your SqueezeBox.
Playing the same stuff should work, don't expect to hit 1ms synchronization with a PC software, PCs are simply not up to that task.

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 15:49
Thanks guys. I have it synchronized now but still no sound. I do see everything playing the same thing and i can control it with either.

Maybe there a reason on the PC that squeezeplay has no sound?

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 15:51
AHA! I see this in the bug listing for 7.4.1

2. More IMPORTANTLY, synchronization does not work anymore. It worked fine on 7.3. While my squeezeplay software does indicate that synchronization is working (with album art consistent across players), as soon as I synch, there is NO SOUND on my PC SqueezePlay. The sound works again as soon as I unlink the SB Classic and the SqueezePlay. Both the software and hardware players can play streams from the server at the same time just fine but only if not synched. The fact that there is no sound on my pc when synching is a dealbreaker and should be top priority for a bugfix.

I'll roll it back a version and see what happens

garym
2009-12-12, 15:52
sorry to ask the obvious, but on that computer, your volume control is turned up high enough, not on mute, etc. Just to be sure it is not some other problem open some other software (itunes, media player, etc.) and play a song to make sure the PC sound is in fact working. Also, occasionally, I get no sound from my squeezeplay (even though it shows song is playing). closing it and reopening always solves this problem.

EDIT: Aha, you figured it out before I posted! I don't use synchronize with squeezeplay so hadn't tried that....

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 15:56
sorry to ask the obvious, but on that computer, your volume control is turned up high enough, not on mute, etc. Just to be sure it is not some other problem open some other software (itunes, media player, etc.) and play a song to make sure the PC sound is in fact working. Also, occasionally, I get no sound from my squeezeplay (even though it shows song is playing). closing it and reopening always solves this problem.

EDIT: Aha, you figured it out before I posted! I don't use synchronize with squeezeplay so hadn't tried that....

except now i cant seen to find 7.3

garym
2009-12-12, 15:58
except now i cant seen to find 7.3

all old versions here
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 16:04
all old versions here
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

NO versions of Squeezeplay on that link. hmmm

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 16:08
I thought I replied but I don't see it. There is no 7.3 on that site, unfortunately

garym
2009-12-12, 16:15
I thought I replied but I don't see it. There is no 7.3 on that site, unfortunately

Yes, scroll down that page and you'll see 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.4. Here's more specific for 7.3.4

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.4/

Siduhe
2009-12-12, 16:22

I'm pretty sure you will need to compile your own version of Squeezeplay for 7.3 or find someone who has an old version kicking around. See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=473621&postcount=2

pippin
2009-12-12, 16:26
umm... SoftSqueeze?
Even comes with 7.3...

garym
2009-12-12, 16:38
oh, sorry. I see you want squeezeplay 7.3. Not sure where to find that....

blue2noise
2009-12-12, 20:22
Talk about getting lucky. I looked in my Firefox downloads folder and I still had 7.3 in there from when I first downloaded it.

After installing it works great! Thanks to all of your for your help. Once they update 7.4 to fix the bug I will be good to go, but this will hold me over for now.