PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Mag: Sonos (plus Squeezebox)

jimzak
2009-12-12, 07:47
http://www.hometheatermag.com/convergence/multiroom_magic_with_sonos/

upstatemike
2009-12-12, 08:04
I have to say I am finding the local inputs and reliable controller roaming of the SONOS system to be increasingly attractive. 2010 may find me reconsidering my multi-room music product strategy.

jimzak
2009-12-12, 10:19
With 72k+ files on my system, I would have to install WHS to have a Sonos system. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense if everything works fairly well now.

ajkidle
2009-12-12, 10:42
Mike, I count 26 squeezeboxen in your signature, and you're talking about changing over to Sonos next year??? Wow. I've only got 4 and I consider myself (happily) locked in.

pippin
2009-12-12, 10:43
With 72k+ files on my system, I would have to install WHS to have a Sonos system. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense if everything works fairly well now.

With 72k+ files Sonos will not work for you.

jimzak
2009-12-12, 10:46
I believe the file number limitation of Sonos can be overcome with an installation of Windows Home Server.

pippin
2009-12-12, 10:56
I believe the file number limitation of Sonos can be overcome with an installation of Windows Home Server.

Really? How does that work? I thought the whole index table is being replicated to each ZP?
What exactly is WHS doing and where do I have to install it? Why WHS at all and not Windows?

jimzak
2009-12-12, 11:09
I don't know the details, but it does work.

Here's a Sonos forum thread on it:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=8148&page=2

...and here's something from CNET that mentions support for WHS:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9802295-1.html?tag=leftCol%3bpost-219

Tech support info from Sonos:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=656

And another thread about overcoming the 65k limit:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=13876

pippin
2009-12-12, 11:19
OK...

That's not WHS, that's WMP - Windows Media Player.
WMP 11 can act as a DLNA server and that's what this does instead of using the Sonos server table.
As it looks, you probably lose quite a bit of the usability and performance of the Sonos system with this solution. Plus it then acts like a Squeezebox, with a dedicated server, yet with one not designed for this.

The WHS reference is because you don't otherwise get WMP11 on a NAS, but you could run a Windows PC.

I don't think that's a solution that beats a Squeezebox.

I'll try it out one day...

upstatemike
2009-12-12, 11:50
Mike, I count 26 squeezeboxen in your signature, and you're talking about changing over to Sonos next year??? Wow. I've only got 4 and I consider myself (happily) locked in.

To be fair, I have so many because I can never bring myself to throw anything away. I use the SliMP3 and SB1 units more for displaying text then playing music and could easily live without them. True requirement for music is only 16 zones with an outside stretch to 20. Changing over would be a big expense but would also resolve some long standing issues once and for all. Just thinking about it at this point but might use the January sales (if any) to try out a SONOS bundle.

pippin
2009-12-12, 11:51
but would also resolve some long standing issues once and for all.

Which ones?

ModelCitizen
2009-12-12, 11:54
I have to say I am finding the local inputs and reliable controller roaming of the SONOS system to be increasingly attractive. 2010 may find me reconsidering my multi-room music product strategy

6x SliMP3, 1x SB1, 2x SB2, 10x SB3, 2x SBR, 4x SBC, 1x Boom

Have you worked out how much this option will cost you? If so, what is it?

MC

jimzak
2009-12-12, 12:31
I have to say I am finding the local inputs and reliable controller roaming of the SONOS system to be increasingly attractive. 2010 may find me reconsidering my multi-room music product strategy.

I'll have to admit that I like the local inputs and find the big bright remote control attractive.

My wallet is telling me to resist the temptations of Sonos.

upstatemike
2009-12-12, 13:18
Which ones?

Not looking to criticize Squeeze products. The real point is that Sonos has seen a lot of improvements since I first considered them against Slim; The new controller, the iPhone app, version 2 of the SonosNet protocol, a “boom box” offering, etc.
That said, it is taking Logitech a long time to resolve the simple setup of static IPs in the SBR (without resorting to a 3rd party app), reliable roaming between access points for the Controller, etc. I am also still not happy with the way the knob on the Boom is implemented. Minor stuff but been living with them for a long time.

upstatemike
2009-12-12, 13:29
Have you worked out how much this option will cost you? If so, what is it?

MC

Between $7,500 and $8,850 depending on how I leverage the Sonos bundles. This is mostly a function of how much I want to reuse existing amps v.s. switch to the amplified zone players.

In terms of cost/benefit the switch is hard to justify but life would be pretty dull if you only did what was "practical"!

pippin
2009-12-12, 13:30
Not looking to criticize Squeeze products. The real point is that Sonos has seen a lot of improvements since I first considered them against Slim; The new controller, the iPhone app, version 2 of the SonosNet protocol, a “boom box” offering, etc.
That said, it is taking Logitech a long time to resolve the simple setup of static IPs in the SBR (without resorting to a 3rd party app), reliable roaming between access points for the Controller, etc. I am also still not happy with the way the knob on the Boom is implemented. Minor stuff but been living with them for a long time.

You will find minor issues with Sonos as well.
There are two iPhone Apps for Squeezebox.
There are two "boom box" offerings from Logitech.
The new Sonos controller is cool, indeed.