PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Videos/Images etc from attached USB drive

dave77
2009-12-11, 07:31
Bit of a long shot! Is there any possibility somewhere down the line for the Touch to be able to stream movies from an attached USB to a PS3. Does it have the space/power to run something like PS3MediaServer (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/)?

erland
2009-12-11, 10:43
I think some of the third party developers did some experimentation with youtube and also with video on SD-card and mplayer early during the beta. I didn't try it myself but as I understod it worked fairly good with low resolution movies. As I remember there was some problem getting it to work correctly together with Squeezeplay (the firmware on the Touch), so that's probably one reason why there isn't any official solution for it yet.

I think there is a possibility in the future but I'm pretty sure it won't be possible in the initial release.

autopilot
2009-12-12, 03:41
I think some of the third party developers did some experimentation with youtube and also with video on SD-card and mplayer early during the beta. I didn't try it myself but as I understod it worked fairly good with low resolution movies. As I remember there was some problem getting it to work correctly together with Squeezeplay (the firmware on the Touch), so that's probably one reason why there isn't any official solution for it yet.

I think there is a possibility in the future but I'm pretty sure it won't be possible in the initial release.

I don't think that's what he means.

I think he means using the touch+HDD as a basic NAS to serve files to other devices on the network.

The touch runs Samba, so files can be transfered to and from the HDD. I have played a few audio and low bitrate video files on my laptop that were stored on the Touch's HDD, but I have not done any real extensive testing. It certianly won't run the ps3 server software, but if the device supports samba it can be used as a NAS to some limited degree. I will probably be using it as an extra backup for my photos etc.