PDA

View Full Version : New Board looks just the job

stevecross
2009-12-10, 12:09
Noticed this mini itx board not released yet but looks ideal for a small low cost server, dual core and only draws 13 watts. Hope its o.k to give a link

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Atom_-_D510MO__Olive_Mount_.html#a91

jtf
2009-12-10, 13:27
That is nice. I have an intel board with Atom 330 as my server. Any idea how this D510 compares to the 330?

Also very nice that it has 2 RAM slots. My board only has one for a max of 2GB.

stevecross
2009-12-10, 22:06
I have a 330 board myself but it still uses around 40 watts so i guess that the biggest bonus of the new board is the 13 watts it consumes. I shall order one as soon as they become available, at the moment i am using a readygear nas duo and allthough it does the job as allready said many times on the forum it is very slow so i am hoping this will be the best of both worlds.

stevo
2009-12-11, 13:18
I have a 330 board myself but it still uses around 40 watts so i guess that the biggest bonus of the new board is the 13 watts it consumes. I shall order one as soon as they become available, at the moment i am using a readygear nas duo and allthough it does the job as allready said many times on the forum it is very slow so i am hoping this will be the best of both worlds.

So you spend 70 pounds to save 27 watts? I'm the same, lusting after new gear and justifying it any way I can. And there is some amazing gear to buy.

I often wonder if I am better to use a little more power and older gear or purchase new? in terms of the climate change debate what is the better approach? What is the break even point on a cost basis?

Or am I just going a little crazy surrounded by so many desktops, laptops, servers, NAS's, operating systems etc etc!

stevo

stevecross
2009-12-11, 22:05
So you spend 70 pounds to save 27 watts? I'm the same, lusting after new gear and justifying it any way I can. And there is some amazing gear to buy.

I often wonder if I am better to use a little more power and older gear or purchase new? in terms of the climate change debate what is the better approach? What is the break even point on a cost basis?

Or am I just going a little crazy surrounded by so many desktops, laptops, servers, NAS's, operating systems etc etc!

stevo

Of course you are exactly right but after working all week its nice to treat yourself, at least thats my excuse. I guess in many ways in the end it becomes a bit of an obsession, well women love shoes etc so us guys need our fix.