PDA

View Full Version : Running Slimserver.pl in windows

lemmy999
2009-12-10, 00:21
I have not been using the windows executable since 6.4. I installed perl and then use srvany to load slimserver.pl as a service. This was worked for me in several versions. However today I checked out the latest version of 7.4 trunk. I had everything working but the service for Slimserver.pl would not work (even though I had updated the registry settings for the srvany key, to the new directory were the 7.4 trunk was located). It worked fine if I just ran "perl slimserver.pl" from the command line.

In messing around with the SqueezeMySQL service I can't get anything to run now. I have even installed the windows executable and it will install, but it can't start SqueezeServer. It all seems to be a problem with the MySQL. If I manually start the SqueezeMySQL service, it just stops in a few seconds. How can I get the SqueezeMySQL to work again? Thanks.

lemmy999
2009-12-10, 01:24
I have finally got the MySQL service running and I can get in to SqueezeServer. However none of my music is showing up and when I try to initiate a scan, it won't scan. There are no files in the music library and it won't scan for some reason.

lemmy999
2009-12-10, 02:39
I have tried running "perl scanner.pl" with version 7.3.3 and it works fine. However if I try to run it with 7.4.2 I get these errors.

mherger
2009-12-10, 02:48
While 7.3.3 was using Perl 5.8, you'll need to update to perl 5.10 for 7.4 and later

--

Michael

lemmy999
2009-12-10, 03:26
While 7.3.3 was using Perl 5.8, you'll need to update to perl 5.10 for 7.4 and later

--

Michael

Yes, I have done that. I have also found the problem with the Scanner.pl. From here

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/InstallSVNTrunkAsService

I found that
The latest 5.10 ActiveState perl requires Digest::SHA1 to be newer than 2.11. Version 2.11 is still included within the source and needs to be removed before attempting to start the server. Browse to the C:\Program Files\Squeezebox\CPAN\Digest folder. Right click on SHA1.pm, select TortoiseSVN->Delete and add to the ignore list->SHA1.pm. After an exclaimation mark is added to the icon, delete the file.

I did this and now I do not get errors if I execute "perl scanner.pl".

However the performance is still exactly the same. If I execute "perl slimserver.pl" It gives some comment about the plugin MusicMagic and then says "Warning: Schema updated or no tracks in the database, initiating scan,." but of course it doesn't. But at this time I can open the web interface and everything is fine, but I can't start a scan. I click the button to scan and it doesn't do anything.

lemmy999
2009-12-10, 03:36
With the server running, I ran "perl scannerl.pl --rescan j:\test" and it scanned the music so I knew there was just a problem for the program to call scanner.pl. In the install instructions there is a section where you have to create Custom.pm file so that Win32.pm knows to use scanner.pl instead of looking for scanner.exe. My problem was I had the paths wrong. You have to modify the paths to match the paths to where your files out and I had a typo. Scanning is working now.

mherger
2009-12-10, 04:21
make sure MySQL is run even when you don't start SBS. The scanner won't start MySQL.