PDA

View Full Version : DACMagic and Touch

SilverRS8
2009-12-09, 00:43
I, and many other Squeezebox (classic) users, have a DACMagic to improve the sound. As the new Touch has an improved and more modern DAC, does the DACMagic have any added value left?

ricky
2009-12-10, 08:07
Hello,
Did you found answer to your question? I am also looking at putting together a new system to stream 24/96 FLAC from my PC wirelessly onto my Audio Amp and SB Touch+magic Dac sounds interesting in the budget range I target...but I could not find information on the improvement from the External DAc versus just hooking the amplifier to the SB Touch internal DAC.
From my understanding using the SB touch as WIFI receiver to receive perfect bit stream from 24/96 FLAC played on PC + passthrough the digital out (Toslink?) to an external DAC such as Magic dac seems a good solution...but I am still looking for confirmation.
In addition the fuzzy point for me is quality difference between using the internal DAC versus an external one like dacmagic?

Eric

grum
2009-12-10, 20:06
No - send it to me :-)

SilverRS8
2009-12-15, 13:41
Hello,
Did you found answer to your question? I am also looking at putting together a new system to stream 24/96 FLAC from my PC wirelessly onto my Audio Amp and SB Touch+magic Dac sounds interesting in the budget range I target...but I could not find information on the improvement from the External DAc versus just hooking the amplifier to the SB Touch internal DAC.
From my understanding using the SB touch as WIFI receiver to receive perfect bit stream from 24/96 FLAC played on PC + passthrough the digital out (Toslink?) to an external DAC such as Magic dac seems a good solution...but I am still looking for confirmation.
In addition the fuzzy point for me is quality difference between using the internal DAC versus an external one like dacmagic?

Eric

I use the DAC magic with my SB3 and there it definitely has added value. Much better channel separation and placement but since the DAC of the touch has improved I still wonder if the DAC magic will have enough added value.

I can tell you the answer when I have the SB Touch but that won't be until April is the release has been postponed as was announced today by Logitech :-(

DejanM
2010-01-02, 03:13
My guess is that will be a considerable improvement. I didn#t check it though ... DACMagic is a decent DAC and a toy dac implemented usually within SB's shouldn't be able to match DACMagics performance ...

But check it first ...

Stratmangler
2010-01-02, 08:37
Don't forget that there are other DAC's out there.
I use one of these http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/Caiman.html and I am delighted with its' performance.

You can find someone else's appraisal of the same DAC compared to that of his Transporter here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62300&postcount=245

Chris:)

JohnSwenson
2010-01-02, 15:40
I'm one of the beta testers and have done extensive listening to the Touch and tried it up against several external DACs, but I don't have a DacMagic so I can't give you the exact desired comparison.

I HAVE done a comparison with a PeachTree Nova which has a very good sounding Sabre DAC. As comparison the sound from the Nova DAC when connected to a SB3 is way better than the analog outs of the SB3, when I hook the Nova up to the Touch the sound of the Touch's analog outs are very close to that of the Nova DAC. The Nova is slightly better but not by much.

One interesting aspect of this is that the Touch has a much better digital out than the SB3, and even with the Sabre DAC I can hear a difference, the out of the Nova when connected to the Touch is better than when it is connected to the SB3. The upshot is that the output from the Touch analog outs is actually better than the output from the Nova when connected to the SB3! The analog outs of the Touch are that good.

My guess here is that the DacMagic driven from the Touch is probably going to be pretty similar to the Touch's analog outs, it may be a little better and it may not. You are probably going to find that external things such as the cable used, length, AC mains condition etc are going to have an impact on which sounds better. I will expect that in some people's systems the external DAC sounds slightly better and in some it does not.So I think you are going to have to listen for yourself and make your own decision.

Note that I actually prefer the sound of the Touch to the Transporter, the Touch has no active circuitry after the DAC chip at all, the Transporter uses fairly standard OP-AMP circuitry, which might be why I prefer the Touch.

John S.

OGS
2010-01-03, 12:26
.. is there a DC-blocking electrolytic on the audio output of the DAC? AKM's diagram indicate that it may be possible to do without the electrolytic which would be great!
I've pre-ordered my Touch today and I am really looking forward to swap my SB 2 with the new wonder.

Phil Leigh
2010-01-03, 12:30
.. is there a DC-blocking electrolytic on the audio output of the DAC? AKM's diagram indicate that it may be possible to do without the electrolytic which would be great!
I've pre-ordered my Touch today and I am really looking forward to swap my SB 2 with the new wonder.

There isn't a cap there, but you want to take the spdif out of the Touch into your TACT!

OGS
2010-01-03, 15:39
..that is what I use in my current setup, but I have friends that will be using the analog out and it is really nice to know that I won't have to worry about cheap electrolytics in the signal path. Thanks for the info Phil.