PDA

View Full Version : Feature Wish - LastFM/Artwork

socistep
2009-12-08, 15:43
Hi All,

Slightly pie in the sky this idea, however I was thinking before how it would be good to hook up my local music collection with lastFM for artwork, for example if there was no artwork saved for an album then it would send a request to LastFm and get the artwork from there (or Napster etc.) - this would be particularly beneficial for compilations if there was some way of displaying album art for an artist rather then '101 power ballads' for example.

As mentioned I doubt whether this would ever be viable but I think it would be a nice feature!

Any thoughts ?

Ian

lrossouw
2009-12-08, 23:21
Album artwork in Last.fm is basically Amazon artwork. There are tools that help automate the process of assigning Amazon artwork to files.

Photos of artists on last.fm is what you're after I think? Erland's custom scan plugin can be setup to download pictures for artists in your collection from last.fm

If you use his custom browse plugin as well these should be displayed on the web interface when browsing to the artist. Don't think they are displayed anywhere else, but it may be possible to change the interface to show the artist picture on compilations or where no album art is available for example... But I don't have skills to do that. So part of what you need is already done.

socistep
2009-12-09, 15:11
Album artwork in Last.fm is basically Amazon artwork. There are tools that help automate the process of assigning Amazon artwork to files.

Photos of artists on last.fm is what you're after I think? Erland's custom scan plugin can be setup to download pictures for artists in your collection from last.fm

If you use his custom browse plugin as well these should be displayed on the web interface when browsing to the artist. Don't think they are displayed anywhere else, but it may be possible to change the interface to show the artist picture on compilations or where no album art is available for example... But I don't have skills to do that. So part of what you need is already done.

I probably didn't explain too well..

I was thinking that currently SB checks whether *.jpg is in a music folder or the album artwork is embedded in the file - my thought was whether there could be a third option to pull artwork from lastFM/napster etc. whilst streaming music if no local artwork available

lrossouw
2009-12-09, 18:40
I probably didn't explain too well..

I was thinking that currently SB checks whether *.jpg is in a music folder or the album artwork is embedded in the file - my thought was whether there could be a third option to pull artwork from lastFM/napster etc. whilst streaming music if no local artwork available

You did explain well. I obviously didn't :)
What I meant to say is that there is already a program that pulls down all the last.fm photos for artists in your library and saves them in a folder you specify.

So to complete what you want someone needs to change the code to use that info instead of the default picture it uses if it can't find album art. Or as you suggested in place of compilation covers.