PDA

View Full Version : last.fm

Zoltan
2009-12-07, 16:01
I discovered last.fm recently, initially listening via the last.fm website on my PC before later trying it out on my Squeezebox.

There are couple of things I have noticed:

- When I play my Recommended station on the Squeezebox, all I see are the song titles, not the artists. This is OK when I know the song, but it is discovering new stuff that I might like which is one of the big appeals of this. Is there any way I can get artist info? Anyway, when I first tried it, I thought 'oh well at least I can go online and see what was playing', which brings me to my second question...

- On the last.fm web site, it shows my 'Recommended Radio' as one of my stations. On my Squeezebox, there is also a 'Recommended' station. However, other than playing roughly the same sort of music there does not seem to be any connection between these. Is that correct? I don't mind too much except that, as I note above, it means I still have no way of knowing what I have been listening to...

Thanks for any insights.

snarlydwarf
2009-12-07, 16:23
- When I play my Recommended station on the Squeezebox, all I see are the song titles, not the artists. This is OK when I know the song, but it is discovering new stuff that I might like which is one of the big appeals of this. Is there any way I can get artist info? Anyway, when I first tried it, I thought 'oh well at least I can go online and see what was playing', which brings me to my second question...

Hrrm, I see the artists... perhaps your display format doesn't show artist? Try pressing 'Now Playing' a few times and that should cycle you through the various formats, one should have the artist.

- On the last.fm web site, it shows my 'Recommended Radio' as one of my stations. On my Squeezebox, there is also a 'Recommended' station. However, other than playing roughly the same sort of music there does not seem to be any connection between these. Is that correct? I don't mind too much except that, as I note above, it means I still have no way of knowing what I have been listening to...

Recommended should be 'the same' (or at least generally the same since it's all random biased to your listening history) either on the web page or in the radio.

The radio station tends to play more stuff than 'recommended artists' (yet another list!) shows on last.fm, but maybe that's me.

Zoltan
2009-12-08, 05:47
Hrrm, I see the artists... perhaps your display format doesn't show artist? Try pressing 'Now Playing' a few times and that should cycle you through the various formats, one should have the artist.

I only had chance to try this quickly but pressing 'No Playing' only seems to affect aspects like whether elapsed/remaining time is shown etc. No artist info. This is a SB3 BTW.

I'll try again tonight - maybe there's something I need to do with my player's settings? Change the display format or something like you hinted at.

Recommended should be 'the same' (or at least generally the same since it's all random biased to your listening history) either on the web page or in the radio.

The radio station tends to play more stuff than 'recommended artists' (yet another list!) shows on last.fm, but maybe that's me.

It's the same as in very much the same sort of stuff. It wouldn't matter if I could see the artist on the player but I was hoping that the list of played tracks when I view via the website would include those played from my Squeezebox. Instead it's just those I have explicitly played via the web interface to last.fm.

Thanks.

Rhyan
2009-12-09, 06:48
- When I play my Recommended station on the Squeezebox, all I see are the song titles, not the artists. This is OK when I know the song, but it is discovering new stuff that I might like which is one of the big appeals of this. Is there any way I can get artist info? Anyway, when I first tried it, I thought 'oh well at least I can go online and see what was playing'...

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem on an SB3 as well (having only recently had a go at Last.fm and addded the app).

Cycling through "Now playing" on my SB3 doesn't change the track title to the artist, only the elapsed time and equaliser graphic.

I have, however, noticed that you can find out who the artist is by accessing the squeezebox server via the web interface - it seems to display all the track info there.

Would be interested to hear if you manage to find a way of displaying this on the SB3, though, as it's not always conventient to get onto the server! I'll be getting an iPod Touch around Christmas, so I'm hoping that the ipeng app will display the information on there at least.

Is it me, or is the volume level from track to track quite variable? Does anyone know how to deal with this (other than turning the volume of my amp up and down as required!)?

Rhyan

Zoltan
2010-01-03, 15:44
I'm not sure what has happened but I find I am now able to access full track information via 'right arrow' which takes me to a 10 item menu. This contains details of artist and other track info as well as the ability to mark the track as 'loved' or 'banned'.

I definitely was not able to do this before. Right arrow used to take me to a single item menu that just said something like 'standard track info' and provided no further information or actions.

I haven't knowingly upgraded the server software. The only thing I can think was that, because I was away over Xmas, I had shut everything down and then restarted when I got back so maybe that was all it needed to get this working for me.

Zoltan
2010-01-16, 15:57
This seems to have stopped working for me again :-(

I haven't changed anything as far as I know.

One thing that maybe someone can help me with - what is the status of the lastfm plugin? As I understand, it's not classed as a 3rd party plugin so I haven't asked about this in that forum. So is it considered part of the mainstream product? Therefore is it something I could submit a bug about? Or is there anywhere else I could ask about it? - it's driving me up the wall having to have a laptop on just to see who's playing!