PDA

View Full Version : Best NAS

jonchill
2009-12-07, 10:25
I'm currently using Squeezebox server on a QNAP 109II but it died at the weekend so I'm looking for A new one and wondered if I should just go out and get the QNAP 119 or look at something else.

My budget is no more than 250 and I'm looking at running Squeezebox server again and also BT client.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Jon

iPhone
2009-12-07, 11:30
I'm currently using Squeezebox server on a QNAP 109II but it died at the weekend so I'm looking for A new one and wondered if I should just go out and get the QNAP 119 or look at something else.

My budget is no more than 250 and I'm looking at running Squeezebox server again and also BT client.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Jon

Buy a PC instead. Easy to fix or repair, twice as cheap and 4 times as powerful. Also PCs are meant to run programs and server software, NASs are not. Will they, of course. Should they, they should not. Ask yourself this one question, what does NAS stand for?

Network Attached Storage (NAS) not Network Attached Server. Buy or build a PC into a Music Server.

jonchill
2009-12-07, 12:35
I agree with you a PC is more powerful but currently the NAS fits nice and tidy on the shelf above my PC and when it sleeps only consumes 5 watts and 16 watts when its active.

So until a PC has a footprint of 3/4 the size of A4 paper and consumes a hell of of a lot less power then I think I'll stick with a NAS.

Chrobrego
2009-12-07, 14:00
ReadyNAS Duo works very well with SqueezeCenter. But it won't play AAC radios (there are not so many anyway).

Mnyb
2009-12-07, 14:04
PC's can be built with mini-itx or atom mobo's and put in very small chassis

iPhone
2009-12-07, 15:26
I agree with you a PC is more powerful but currently the NAS fits nice and tidy on the shelf above my PC and when it sleeps only consumes 5 watts and 16 watts when its active.

So until a PC has a footprint of 3/4 the size of A4 paper and consumes a hell of of a lot less power then I think I'll stick with a NAS.

You can built it any size you want it with an Atom board or smaller.

See Vortexbox PCs (http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/) if you can't build it and need to buy it. These PCs are that small or smaller. The model based on the Fit PC2 is only 4.5 inches, is that small enough?

Of course all these small PCs will only work if your storage needs are less then 2TB, but most also allow the use of large USB drives.

Its your money, but having been there done that, I will never have an over priced under powered NAS as a Music Server ever again.

ClanClover
2009-12-07, 16:11
Jon, I see the TS119 has a 1.2 GHz ARM processor whilst the TS109 II only has a 500 MHz processor so it should run faster. I have the QNAP TS109 and it runs fine. The only problem is that you need SSOTS to run Squeezebox server on a NAS so you may have to wait for upgrades on SSOTS before being able to run Squeezebox.

Problem with a PC is having Windows but you can always load Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) on the PC and run Sqeezebox server on that. I have it running on my PC as well as the QNAP.

BTW, what happened to the QNAP? Is it the disk or the processor board?

Would be interested in what you finally decide.

jonchill
2009-12-07, 16:19
Jon, I see the TS119 has a 1.2 GHz ARM processor whilst the TS109 II only has a 500 MHz processor so it should run faster. I have the QNAP TS109 and it runs fine. The only problem is that you need SSOTS to run Squeezebox server on a NAS so you may have to wait for upgrades on SSOTS before being able to run Squeezebox.

Problem with a PC is having Windows but you can always load Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) on the PC and run Sqeezebox server on that. I have it running on my PC as well as the QNAP.

BTW, what happened to the QNAP? Is it the disk or the processor board?

Would be interested in what you finally decide.

Its been running fine on the 109 and even got it working with v7.42 of Squeezeszerver.

My 109 decided not to boot, QFinder finds it but you can't connect to it via SSH and Web and its out of warranty.

spc337
2009-12-07, 19:07
I use a Qnap 439pro and I think it works really well. Performance is much much better than the ReadyNas.

For the purists that insist a NAS shouldn't run server software, I guess technically the definition is fairly specific but it doesn't preclude other functions. For those wrapped a little less tight, QNAP "Servers" have a great storage management function similar to a "NAS" and that have an extensible framework allowing the addition of user selected packages like SSOTS for SqueezeCenter. The Qnap is quiet and has low power consumption. It's great that this compact server is able to handle my storage needs which eliminates the need to for a dedicate NAS in addition to my Server for SqueezeCenter.

Enjoy

dblack
2009-12-07, 22:20
I just built a NAS using an Intel D945GSEJT mini-itx motherboard (Atom 270 CPU), an M-350 mini-itx case (from mini-box.com), a 320gb 2.5" hard drive, 2gb of ram. Cost me around $250 USD. It's small, silent (no fans), and doesn't draw much power (I haven't measured it, but I've read it draws around 14 watts at idle, minus the hard drive). It runs Freenas with Slimnas installed. I plan to add another hard drive at some point and use it as a file server as well. The OS boots off a USB thumb drive, the hard drive is used for storage only.

ClanClover
2009-12-08, 14:20
My 109 decided not to boot, QFinder finds it but you can't connect to it via SSH and Web and its out of warranty.

If QFinder can find it then surely it must be booting. Maybe the disk is corrupted. Do you have a back-up disk? Also have you looked at the NAS user manual (available from QNAPs website)? The manual tells you the maening of the front panel LEDs.