PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 48/24bit ALAC files

Eric Seaberg
2009-12-05, 19:03
I'm running the latest OFFICIAL release of the server. I've ripped files from DVD-A as 192k/24bit and converted them to 48k/24bit WAV. I opened the WAV files in iTunes, added the metadata and converted to ALAC, all on a Mac. The converted files play fine on iTunes, and show as being 48k/24bit, but will not transcode on the server.

I'm able to transcode any other type of file on my server, having the appropriate codecs installed.

This is an odd problem!

andyg
2009-12-05, 19:33
On Dec 5, 2009, at 6:03 PM, Eric Seaberg wrote:

>
> I'm running the latest OFFICIAL release of the server. I've ripped
> files from DVD-A as 192k/24bit and converted them to 48k/24bit WAV. I
> opened the WAV files in iTunes, added the metadata and converted to
> ALAC, all on a Mac. The converted files play fine on iTunes, and show
> as being 48k/24bit, but will not transcode on the server.

24-bit ALAC files are not yet supported:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14700

I would recommend using FLAC instead.

Eric Seaberg
2009-12-06, 07:08
Thanks for the reply, Andy. I had been doing that for other conversions and just wanted to keep my 'housekeeping' within iTunes.

It seems that, during the conversion, the Transporter was up-ing the SR as my receiver wanted to keep switching into 96k. Playback on the SB2 sounded like slowed down DTS or AC3 data bursts.

I'll go back to FLAC.

Phil Leigh
2009-12-08, 16:39
Thanks for the reply, Andy. I had been doing that for other conversions and just wanted to keep my 'housekeeping' within iTunes.

It seems that, during the conversion, the Transporter was up-ing the SR as my receiver wanted to keep switching into 96k. Playback on the SB2 sounded like slowed down DTS or AC3 data bursts.

I'll go back to FLAC.

Squeezebox = FLAC = Good.