PDA

View Full Version : Any favorites with regards RGB / Component cables.....

Deaf Cat
2009-12-05, 07:42
You may have guessed, I've just got a LCD screen and thinking of buying an RGB set of cables to go from the DVDP, it's connected via composite at the mo.

I've tried a couple of different 75 Ohm cables (Audio interconnects) as the composite connection, they seem to make a difference, hence the thought what do people like on the RGB / component cable front.

(No, I'm not up with HDMI stuff yet, only the TV has HDMI inputs I've nothing with HDMI outputs )

Many Thanks,
DC

Saw these:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/component/cambridge-audio/premium-comp-2m/camb-comp-prem-2m
For this sort of price I sould definatly want to see a big difference before spending out, can such a lead make such an improvement....

Any thoughts appreciated

DC

aubuti
2009-12-05, 07:55
What connection does this have to the Squeezebox line of products?

Deaf Cat
2009-12-05, 08:05
Only that I have one....

General Discussion, Kitchen Sink...

I'm I posting in the wrong place?

:(

bobkoure
2009-12-07, 10:53
You might try monoprice. Not high end but good quality and surprisingly inexpensive. (6' component around $5)
Want high end? Try blue jean cables. AFAICT built around Canare cables. Top notch connectors, too.
Don't bother with monster cables. IMO no better than the monoprice ones, other than being a tad more flexible.

In any case, the major step is between composite and component. At least spend the $5 on a monoprice cable.

iPhone
2009-12-07, 11:24
Are you talking true RGB (IE BNC connectors) cables or just RCA 75 ohm Component cables?

For RCA Component cables, I like Belden 7915A RG6/U. Flexible yet triple shielded to keep the signal in great shape and to keep the bad stuff out. The outer most solid foil is bonded to the jacket so that it gives it the electrical effect of solid metal conduit without the bending issues or the problems of flexible quad shield cables.

Deaf Cat
2009-12-07, 15:57
Cheers for your thoughts :)

I had not come across monoprice, I like their prices!
I have 1/2 a 30 IC doing the picture at the moment and it does better than a 15 composite lead, so, I may be tempted to go straight for a Blue Jeans cable.

I had been reading about Belden cables and found the Blue Jeans web site quite educational. I was thinking I might go for the 1694A, with RCA's, I have nothing with the proper 75 Ohm BNC's not even a BNC on the digital connections on the stereo :(

I did find MarkGrant cables with the same 1694A but naturally less shipping as they do not travel so far, I'm guessing there should not be much difference at all between the MarkGrants and the Blue Jeans 1694's....?

The 7915A I don't seem to see this ready made, not being very handy with a soldering iron, I got told off buy the guy fixing my amp for attempting to solder myself ;) is there much difference do you think between the two cables? Apart from what I gather 1694 has 95% shielding and from what your saying... the 7915 should be pretty much 100%? with its triple shield.....

Many thanks for your replies
Cheers
DC

iPhone
2009-12-07, 19:01
Cheers for your thoughts :)

I had not come across monoprice, I like their prices!
I have 1/2 a 30 IC doing the picture at the moment and it does better than a 15 composite lead, so, I may be tempted to go straight for a Blue Jeans cable.

I had been reading about Belden cables and found the Blue Jeans web site quite educational. I was thinking I might go for the 1694A, with RCA's, I have nothing with the proper 75 Ohm BNC's not even a BNC on the digital connections on the stereo :(

I did find MarkGrant cables with the same 1694A but naturally less shipping as they do not travel so far, I'm guessing there should not be much difference at all between the MarkGrants and the Blue Jeans 1694's....?

The 7915A I don't seem to see this ready made, not being very handy with a soldering iron, I got told off buy the guy fixing my amp for attempting to solder myself ;) is there much difference do you think between the two cables? Apart from what I gather 1694 has 95% shielding and from what your saying... the 7915 should be pretty much 100%? with its triple shield.....

Many thanks for your replies
Cheers
DC

The 1694A is easier for the Do It Yourselfer to put a high quality RCA on then a first timer trying to do 7915. The main difference is that there is no Doufoil layer bonded to the inside of the outside jacket. 1694A is center conductor, dielectric, Doufoil, then tinned 95% copper braided shield, covered by outside jacket. IMO, not as good as the 4 shield cable (but much more flexible and easier to put connector on) and nowhere near the 7915 which is center conductor, dielectric, Duobond II foil shield, covered by 80% braided aluminum shield, covered by Duobond Plus shorting foil shield that is bonded to the outer jacket.

Blue Jeans makes good quality cables at fair prices.

Deaf Cat
2009-12-08, 15:37
Thank You :)

I'm learning shielding is important ;)

Also learnt that the rca connections can be crimped, my soldering iron can stay in the shed :) Came across some off cuts of Cavel QF100 today in the other shed, as far as I can see its center is surrounded by a foam then a copper foil then a copper braid.... will have a little read / research to see if some rca's will fit. May well work out much cheaper which would be nice.

If I run out of time will more than likely go for the Blue Jeans / Mark Grant Belden coax.

Thank you for your time.
Cheers
DC