PDA

View Full Version : outside speakers--work with sqeezebox radio??

xuantan
2009-12-03, 19:19
can i plug outside speakers into sqeezebox radio--if so how??

thanks for a response.

pfarrell
2009-12-03, 19:22
xuantan wrote:
> can i plug outside speakers into sqeezebox radio--if so how??
> thanks for a response.

So you didn't get an answer immediately and so you send nearly the
identical message again?

That's pretty rude.

The Radio has a headphone jack on the back. You can plug in powered
speakers or anything these into it.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

xuantan
2009-12-03, 20:09
this was the first time i ever posted anything in any chat room or forum--i now know not to expect an answer so quickly--my apology because i don't know the protocol.i plugged the speakers into the headphone jack on the side of the squueezebox radio[nothing]--then i plugged the speakers into the back and there was no music just a loud and annoying hum--what am i doing wrong because i no nothing about these things except i like the sqeezebox a lot even without external speakers.

aubuti
2009-12-03, 21:24
The jack in the back of the SB Radio is a line IN jack, which is used for plugging in devices such as portable music players to play through the Radio's speakers. So of course your speakers won't play through that.

Are your speakers self-amplified? If not then you won't get enough power out of the headphone jack to drive them. Do you know that the speakers work with other headphone-level outputs? What volume level is the SB Radio set at?

xuantan
2009-12-03, 22:25
They are not self amplified--i will most likely return them because the company said they work-not a lie[but misleading]--thanks for the info--i should obviously buy self amplified speakers--what[if any] could you recommend??

Thanks again

logitech support said they would work but did not ask the question if they were self amplified,

aubuti
2009-12-04, 05:10
They are not self amplified--i will most likely return them because the company said they work-not a lie[but misleading]--thanks for the info--i should obviously buy self amplified speakers--what[if any] could you recommend??
That depends a lot on your preferences, most importantly your budget. Also, do you want a two-speaker system or a 2.1 (speakers + subwoofer)? You can find self-powered speakers anywhere from $10 to several thousand $$. At the low end, I like the Klipsch ProMedia 2.0 speakers I have, which I got new on eBay for about $35. If you want much better sound, the AudioEngine A2 (around $200) or A5 (around $300) get great reviews from many other forum members. If you're looking to spend more, there are powered speakers by Meridian, among others.

bpa
2009-12-04, 05:13
Acoustic Energy Aego-M are good as well and not too expensive.
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

xuantan
2009-12-04, 05:21
Thanks to all for suggesting those speakers--you were very helpful

aubuti
2009-12-04, 05:46
One clarification: when you say "outside speakers" do you simply mean external speakers, or do you mean speakers that are designed for outdoor use? If you are looking for speakers to leave outdoors for extended periods, then none of the suggestions we've given are appropriate. They would be fine for temporary use outdoors (just like the SB Radio), but aren't sufficiently weatherproofed to leave outdoors.