PDA

View Full Version : I give up - back to Slimserver 6.5.4

Bartok55
2009-12-02, 14:19
I've had my Squeezebox 3 for a couple of years now and have really enjoyed the simplicity of listening to music without getting up from the couch every hour to put a new CD on.

During this time I've tried several different versions of the Slimserver/Squeezecenter software but I always end up returning to version 6.5.4 and I've finally come to the conclusion that I'll have to live with that version forever unless someone has some additional suggestions for me.

Here's the problem:
If I'm running version 6.5.4 of Slimserver, my Squeezebox works fine. I store music in flac and the signal is sent via wireless G to the Squeezebox a couple of rooms away with no data compression. I was using a Linksys WRT54G router and had no problems with 50-54% signal strength. I tested network throughput and got 100% success at 3000kb.

I tried upgrading to version 7.0.1 a while back, and just recently tried upgrading to version 7.4.1 with the same results. The player would start playing and 25 seconds into a song it would stop playing. Signal loss? Maybe.

So I decided to invest in a new router to see if that would make a difference. I picked up a Linksys WRT310N and once installed had signal strength of 54-58%. It wasn't a huge improvement, and it had absolutely no affect on the player running with version 7.4.1. It would still stop playing after 25 seconds. I tried reattaching my old router to the network as a router/extender in the next room from the player. I had a signal strength in that location from 90-95% and the player was passing all the network tests with 100% at 3000kb. No affect on the player, though, it still stopped playing after 25 seconds.

So I reinstalled version 6.5.4, re-flashed the firmware on the Squeezebox to the older version, and reconnected to the new router (might as well use it since I spent the money on it ...). Everything is back to normal now and the player has no longer stops playing music.

Do I have a recalcitrant Squeezebox or am I missing something fundamental in the configuration of version 7.x of the Squeezecenter software? Any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated.

Phil Leigh
2009-12-02, 14:24
What is your server machine?

Bartok55
2009-12-02, 14:31
Server machine is Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit running on a quad-core Intel 9550 with 4gb of DDR2 memory. The music resides on dedicated 2x750gb SATA Seagate HD run in Raid 0. The operating system is on a separate hard drive.

The server machine is connected to the wireless router via 1gb ethernet hardwire.

Phil Leigh
2009-12-02, 14:36
Server machine is Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit running on a quad-core Intel 9550 with 4gb of DDR2 memory. The music resides on dedicated 2x750gb SATA Seagate HD run in Raid 0. The operating system is on a separate hard drive.

The server machine is connected to the wireless router via 1gb ethernet hardwire.

OK. Should be fine.

Anything in server.log?

Bartok55
2009-12-02, 14:39
I didn't check that.

Is server.log found in the Squeezecenter directory?

Phil Leigh
2009-12-02, 14:41
I didn't check that.

Is server.log found in the Squeezecenter directory?

use search to find it...
it may not help without some additional logging options enabled though,

Bartok55
2009-12-02, 14:45
I'll check it when I get home this evening. Thanks for the quick replies!

What logging options should I turn on?

Phil Leigh
2009-12-02, 14:47
I'll check it when I get home this evening. Thanks for the quick replies!

What logging options should I turn on?

The ones related to player.source and player.streaming for starters... set to DEBUG level.

maggior
2009-12-02, 15:22
I wonder if there are some configuration data migration issues going across a huge jump across versions?

If you feel adventerous, rather than upgrading you might try uninstalling 6.5.4, clearing out all of the slimserver directories (escpecially the cache directory), and then install 7.4.x.

*** If you want to save your settings so you don't have to go back and redo them if you need to revert back to 6.5.4, backup any directories that you delete so you can restore them. Perhaps the thing to do is simply rename them rather than delete them.

I've seen in these forums many times where just clearing out the cache directory solves a lot of strange issues.

BTW, I was on 6.5.4 for quite some time. It was a very stable release. I have found 7.3.3 to be an equally stable version. I'm staying put until the dust settles with the Radio and Touch being released.

Good luck.

snarlydwarf
2009-12-02, 17:09
I wonder if there are some configuration data migration issues going across a huge jump across versions?

Or something more subtle, like changing names.

Ie, a firewall or virus detector was set to permit 'SlimServer' (which is what it was called back in 6.x days... but changing the name to 'SqueezeBoxServer' or 'SqueezeCenter' and changing paths on the files to reflect the new name...)

Would make AV or Firewall software think it is something new and not allow some sort of access.