PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Transporter...Help needed

SyriusCram
2009-12-01, 20:56
To make a long story short, I cannot send in my Transporter for repair due to my location and I'm going to have to do that

myself (with some external help) so anyone who could provide some pointers would be great.

Here's the problem: When playing any tracks on the Transporter nothing happens. The display on the Transporter shows the

track name but the track doesn't play, the progress bar doesn't move and there's no output.

This is what I know so far:
1- The Transporter boots properly, "Logitech" and "Transporter" logos come up, IP address acquired and connects to

Squeezecenter. There are no delays or any noticeable issues during boot up.
2- There's a slight buzzing sound coming from the transformers/relays area. After waiting 2 minutes 50 seconds (almost

exactly every time) there's a 'click' sound coming from the relays and the buzzing stops.
3- In the squeezecenter information screen the voltage is reported at 49V while the 'buzzing' noise is on, after the buzzing

stops the voltage is reported correctly at 220V.
4- The digital output red 'light beam' is on which seems to indicate that the digital output is working however as I do not

have any digital devices I cannot test it.
5- I have tried to reset to factory settings four times, no effect. I have also tried to reset xilinx ("1" button) and re-

uploaded the firmware (press brightness) to no avail.
6- I also have a Squeezebox and it's working well so it rules out the server issue (I think).
7- I have measured the power at multiple points on the transporter board and all of them are correct (+15V, -15V, +5V, CPU

+5V...).

When trying to play a track, the music doesn't play (the progress bar doesn't move) and there's no output. I use the balanced

analog output. The right display doesn't come up with the "vu meter" while the voltage shows at 49V, after the 2 minutes the

vue meter shows up. The SqueezeCenter interface doesn't seem to detect any problem as the 'play progress bar' moves normally

while playing and jumps to the next track without any problem.

At this point my best guess is that one of the relays is having a problem however as there is a control logic to switch from

110V to 220V it could also be a CPU problem or any components on the control path. The weird part is the fact that when the

power is properly reported at 220V after 2 minutes 50 seconds the sound still doesn't work.

Anyway, anyone having any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

agentsmith
2009-12-01, 21:35
I had it happened to me a few times. It invariably happened when I play certain tracks that have some strange sampling rate which seemed to have confused the Transporter.

In all cases it was fixed by the reset procedure you mentioned.

Have you tried after the reset playing some "normal" 16/44.1 music or even MP3?

agentsmith
2009-12-01, 21:37
There are 2 reset procedures, have you tried both? I think for me the first procedure fixed it for me.

1. factory Reset

1. Disconnect the power
2. Press and hold "Add" on the remote
3. Reconnect the power
4. Release the "Add" button when you see "Factory reset..." on the screen

2. Xilinx Reset

Transporter

1. Disconnect the power
2. Press and hold "1" on the remote
3. Reconnect the power
4. Release the "1" button when you see "Programming xilinx" on the screen

SyriusCram
2009-12-01, 21:57
Hi Agentsmith,

Yep, tried all that. Normal track, 16/44... Reset to factory settings... Xilinx... re-up firmware.

I believe the problem is hardware related (I might be wrong) because of the 'buzzing' sound coming from the PSU.

Thanks.

caseyse
2014-12-31, 11:22
<< 3- In the squeezecenter information screen the voltage is reported at 49V >>

One of my Transporters has began to periodically pause a couple of seconds as it rebuffers music. LMS also began reporting 49 volts as well. Resetting to defaults didn't help. I get DMM readings of 5v and 12v on the circuit board and the VFD is operating fine, so the power supply might be fine. This isn't a server/network problem as my other TPs are operating fine.

I have seen a couple posts with TP failures also reporting 49 volts. Does anyone have an idea of the root cause?

caseyse
2014-12-31, 20:27
<< 3- In the squeezecenter information screen the voltage is reported at 49V >>

One of my Transporters has began to periodically pause a couple of seconds as it rebuffers music. LMS also began reporting 49 volts as well. Resetting to defaults didn't help. I get DMM readings of 5v and 12v on the circuit board and the VFD is operating fine, so the power supply might be fine. This isn't a server/network problem as my other TPs are operating fine.

I have seen a couple posts with TP failures also reporting 49 volts. Does anyone have an idea of the root cause?

I resolved the problem. The reporting of 49 volts, which remains, was unrelated. My TP will live another day :)

garym
2015-01-01, 07:29
I resolved the problem. The reporting of 49 volts, which remains, was unrelated. My TP will live another day :)

How did you resolve the problem?

caseyse
2015-01-01, 13:50
How did you resolve the problem?

I have used as many as 8 Squeezebox devices via Linux (Gentoo, Ubuntu) for about 7 years with zero problems, so this is an embarrassing revelation. I suspect it's old age setting in.

My server and TP network connection were fine, and strangely the TP's power supply also appeared to be fine. Observing the rebuffering/skipping and the 49 volt reading reported in LMS, I assumed they were related and pointed to a TP hardware failure.

I neglected to eliminate one other variable. I use this TP with an external DAC, a dCS Vivaldi, using the Vivaldi's clock. The Vivaldi was the source of the problem with firmware corruption that required a factory reset to resolve. The only other source I use with the Vivaldi is DoP, but I'm in the middle of rebuilding the computer over the holidays, so I only have the TP running through the Vivaldi at the moment.

garym
2015-01-01, 15:30
I have used as many as 8 Squeezebox devices via Linux (Gentoo, Ubuntu) for about 7 years with zero problems, so this is an embarrassing revelation. I suspect it's old age setting in.

My server and TP network connection were fine, and strangely the TP's power supply also appeared to be fine. Observing the rebuffering/skipping and the 49 volt reading reported in LMS, I assumed they were related and pointed to a TP hardware failure.

I neglected to eliminate one other variable. I use this TP with an external DAC, a dCS Vivaldi, using the Vivaldi's clock. The Vivaldi was the source of the problem with firmware corruption that required a factory reset to resolve. The only other source I use with the Vivaldi is DoP, but I'm in the middle of rebuilding the computer over the holidays, so I only have the TP running through the Vivaldi at the moment.

Aha. thanks for the feedback. Might be useful for someone else troubleshooting in the future.