PDA

View Full Version : Napster

Neil Davidson
2004-07-26, 10:11
in a word, yes.

you could probably get the real thing for less than that is you shop around
(Amazon.co.uk, play.com, cdwow.co.uk etc.)

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Tahir
Sent: 26 July 2004 11:01
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] Napster

Thanks Neil, I asked Napster the question and they assured me that what I
was getting was "a CD quality" file, I couldn't think where else to ask the
question. So basically I'm wasting my time paying Napster 9.95 for an
album in .wma

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 1:37 PM

this really isn't a question for this list (ie. it has NOTHING to do with
slim hardware) but I'll answer anyway.

Napster is just converting your already downloaded albums to raw audio
data. it would take hours (perhaps days on some connections) to download a
raw uncompressed album from the net. no-one would do this, it would also
cost Napster a fortune in bandwidth.

Also, just for your information, a .cda isn't really a file at all, just a
representation of the tracks on the audio CD.

[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Tahir
Sent: 25 July 2004 13:21
To: SlimDevices Discussion

How does napster download so quickly? I've purchased a couple of albums
from Napster, when I burn them to cd in no time at all an audio cd is
created (.cda files), is Napster just encoding the already downloaded .wma's
to .cda, or are they the full unencoded files?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

Tahir
2004-07-26, 10:57
I gave up buying CDs a couple of years ago, I was looking for a viable way to buy music at an acceptable quality without the piece of plastic

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 6:11 PM

in a word, yes.

you could probably get the real thing for less than that is you shop around (Amazon.co.uk, play.com, cdwow.co.uk etc.)

From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Tahir

Thanks Neil, I asked Napster the question and they assured me that what I was getting was "a CD quality" file, I couldn't think where else to ask the question. So basically I'm wasting my time paying Napster 9.95 for an album in .wma

this really isn't a question for this list (ie. it has NOTHING to do with slim hardware) but I'll answer anyway.

Napster is just converting your already downloaded albums to raw audio data. it would take hours (perhaps days on some connections) to download a raw uncompressed album from the net. no-one would do this, it would also cost Napster a fortune in bandwidth.

Also, just for your information, a .cda isn't really a file at all, just a representation of the tracks on the audio CD.

From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Tahir

How does napster download so quickly? I've purchased a couple of albums from Napster, when I burn them to cd in no time at all an audio cd is created (.cda files), is Napster just encoding the already downloaded .wma's to .cda, or are they the full unencoded files?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jules Taplin
2004-07-26, 15:01
You see... curiously... I have almost exactly the opposite approach to that. I have to say I don't buy a lot of CD's (having discovered that increasingly... I really don't care for anything that's out in the charts), but when I do... of the ways to acquire music legally physically getting a CD is about the best bet.

It's got a number of advantages. Don't see them as a bit of plastic, more as a persistent, high-quality backup of your music. You can rip it, and stash it away somewhere safe indefinately. Once ripped - you can play it anywhere, burn it to mp3-cd for the car, put it on CF for your iPAQ, stream it to multiple places in the house at once, etc. I can honestly say that I've not played an actual CD in the house since I got the Squeezeboxes, and I haven't played one in the car since I got a mp3-cd & DAB reciever for there!

Contrast that to all of the DRM muck that the industry is desparately trying to stuff down our throats - downloads of limited quality (I'm not even an audiophile, but the idea that it's sold with limited quality practically guarantees I'll feel the need to pay for it _AGAIN_ some day), tethered to limited machines (which is a right pain - at last count, there are at least 10 devices which I routinely use to play music - 6 of which just plain don't understand the concept of DRM at all - so that's not going to work for me). And the worst of all - the very bitterest pill of the whole lot... is that who's to say that in 10 years time any of the current encumbered music providers will still exist to issue me new keys to play my music!

So... while it's still possible - I buy CD's... and regard them in the same way I regard software CD's - merely as the transport media I use to 'install' the music onto the network.

-- Jules

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 6:57 PM

I gave up buying CDs a couple of years ago, I was looking for a viable way to buy music at an acceptable quality without the piece of plastic

in a word, yes.

you could probably get the real thing for less than that is you shop around (Amazon.co.uk, play.com, cdwow.co.uk etc.)

Thanks Neil, I asked Napster the question and they assured me that what I was getting was "a CD quality" file, I couldn't think where else to ask the question. So basically I'm wasting my time paying Napster 9.95 for an album in .wma

this really isn't a question for this list (ie. it has NOTHING to do with slim hardware) but I'll answer anyway.

Napster is just converting your already downloaded albums to raw audio data. it would take hours (perhaps days on some connections) to download a raw uncompressed album from the net. no-one would do this, it would also cost Napster a fortune in bandwidth.

Also, just for your information, a .cda isn't really a file at all, just a representation of the tracks on the audio CD.

How does napster download so quickly? I've purchased a couple of albums from Napster, when I burn them to cd in no time at all an audio cd is created (.cda files), is Napster just encoding the already downloaded .wma's to .cda, or are they the full unencoded files?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tahir
2004-07-27, 03:29
Hardly anything I buy has been anywhere near the charts, I've already got over 1200 CDs I haven't got anywhere to put any more :) I certainly won't be buying any more crap off napster. I guess what I'm looking for is a completely legit service that gives you the options of allofmp3.com (you can even download in FLAC !)

Tahir

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 11:01 PM

You see... curiously... I have almost exactly the opposite approach to that. I have to say I don't buy a lot of CD's (having discovered that increasingly... I really don't care for anything that's out in the charts), but when I do... of the ways to acquire music legally physically getting a CD is about the best bet.

It's got a number of advantages. Don't see them as a bit of plastic, more as a persistent, high-quality backup of your music. You can rip it, and stash it away somewhere safe indefinately. Once ripped - you can play it anywhere, burn it to mp3-cd for the car, put it on CF for your iPAQ, stream it to multiple places in the house at once, etc. I can honestly say that I've not played an actual CD in the house since I got the Squeezeboxes, and I haven't played one in the car since I got a mp3-cd & DAB reciever for there!

Contrast that to all of the DRM muck that the industry is desparately trying to stuff down our throats - downloads of limited quality (I'm not even an audiophile, but the idea that it's sold with limited quality practically guarantees I'll feel the need to pay for it _AGAIN_ some day), tethered to limited machines (which is a right pain - at last count, there are at least 10 devices which I routinely use to play music - 6 of which just plain don't understand the concept of DRM at all - so that's not going to work for me). And the worst of all - the very bitterest pill of the whole lot... is that who's to say that in 10 years time any of the current encumbered music providers will still exist to issue me new keys to play my music!

So... while it's still possible - I buy CD's... and regard them in the same way I regard software CD's - merely as the transport media I use to 'install' the music onto the network.

-- Jules

in a word, yes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jules Taplin
2004-07-28, 16:20
Hehe. We're _ALL_ looking for one of them. Along with Father Christmas, The Tooth Fairy, and the Little Green Men.

;)

-- Jules
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 11:29 AM

Hardly anything I buy has been anywhere near the charts, I've already got over 1200 CDs I haven't got anywhere to put any more :) I certainly won't be buying any more crap off napster. I guess what I'm looking for is a completely legit service that gives you the options of allofmp3.com (you can even download in FLAC !)

Tahir

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 11:01 PM

-- Jules

in a word, yes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------