PDA

View Full Version : Problem: music just stops playing!?

AlliumPorrum
2009-11-30, 10:37
I'm running Squeeze Server v.7.4.1 - r28947 on my Win 2003 Server, and SB Receiver is connected thru WLAN. All my FLAC's are on same PC than the Server. Everything is working just fine, except that every now and then the music just stops playing. No any problems can be seen anywhere; light on the controller stays white, WLAN signal is always over 80%, Server is up and running, but music just stops in the middle of the song. This happens something like few times a day, constantly.

When this happens, I have to go the browser client, and for example click on the bar that shows where the song is currently playing, and the sound comes back. Pause & Play works also.

Any ideas what could cause this quite annoying problem?

AlliumPorrum
2009-12-01, 12:22
I just noticed that this problem always happens on the same position of the same songs!? But there does not seem to be anything wrong with the FLACs themself, because Windows Media Player and WinAmp plays them just fine.

What's wrong with the Squeeze Server if other players play those songs just fine, but SS does not??

fergycool
2010-01-12, 13:53
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I see the exact same problem! My Squeezebox, Boom and Receiver all die at the same point in the exact same FLAC files. Any clues?

SteveEast
2010-01-12, 14:52
Have you tried running "flac -t" on the failing files just to be sure they're OK?

Steve.

fergycool
2010-01-12, 15:38
Thanks for replying. No I had previously not done so. I see errors like the following when I do so:

Dust: ERROR: reading metadata, status = "FLAC__METADATA_CHAIN_STATUS_ERROR_OPENING_FILE""

I'd not noticed any problems with the files before upgrading to 7.4 recently. I ripped all my CDs to FLAC about a year ago. That now disturbs my trust in the storage... Hardware RAID with a ReadyNas NV+.

AlliumPorrum
2010-01-17, 05:35
No, I still have the same problem. Logitech instructed to re-install server SW & do a factory reset for SBR, but it did not help at all.

What is that "flac -t"- command?? At least Windows 7 does not recognize it:
"'flac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

Phil Leigh
2010-01-17, 05:56
No, I still have the same problem. Logitech instructed to re-install server SW & do a factory reset for SBR, but it did not help at all.

What is that "flac -t"- command?? At least Windows 7 does not recognize it:
"'flac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

(Windows) search for FLAC.EXE, it must be somewhere on your PC.
Wherever it is, open a command line window (Run - CMD) and type flac -t yourfilename...

flac -t will check the integrity of a flac file. However, it seems odd that the same files play in other players...

AlliumPorrum
2010-01-17, 07:39
Ok, now I get it working, and checked a few files that always stop playing. The result for "flac -t" for all of them was OK, so that is not the problem. Any other ideas what to do?

TheLastMan
2010-01-19, 06:28
Ok, now I get it working, and checked a few files that always stop playing. The result for "flac -t" for all of them was OK, so that is not the problem. Any other ideas what to do?
Hmmm...

stopping in the same place each time sounds like something is turning off after a period of apparent "inactivity". I would suspect the ReadyNAS might have something to do with it. Make sure that nothing in the replay chain (NAS, router, access point etc) has power-save, hibernation or inactivity timers running on this kind of short timescale.

AlliumPorrum
2010-01-19, 06:56
Hmmm...

stopping in the same place each time sounds like something is turning off after a period of apparent "inactivity". I would suspect the ReadyNAS might have something to do with it. Make sure that nothing in the replay chain (NAS, router, access point etc) has power-save, hibernation or inactivity timers running on this kind of short timescale.

Thanks for the reply TheLastMan, but I don't think this is a problem; with some albums the playing never stops, and with some songs it stops everytime on a same place, regardless of the elapsed time.

I'm not using ReadyNAS, but a Windows 2003 server that is always up & running. And I don't have any powersafe options anywhere.