PDA

View Full Version : help w/wireless encryption w/older squeezebox

baconrad
2009-11-29, 22:15
I have an older 1st generation wireless squeezebox. The wireless encryption choices are none, 64 bit and 128 bit. I assume these are WEP which from what I read is not very secure.

Do I have any options besides making my whole network WEP? Is it possible there is a firmware upgrade to the squeezebox that makes it possible to use WPA? Can I use WEP for my squeezebox and WPA for other devices? Any other options?

Thanks for any help.

usch
2009-11-30, 07:53
You could buy a cheap wireless access point (around 30 EUR) that can be reversed to run in client mode, and wire that to your SB.

aubuti
2009-11-30, 07:55
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that model of SB cannot be upgraded to WPA. And you are right to be wary of WEP, because it is not secure at all. I am not aware of any wireless routers that let you do both WEP and WPA simultaneously, but I have heard of people who set up two routers. I forget the specifics of how you would arrange it.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to go to a wired connection. If pulling cat5 cable isn't practical for you, maybe homeplug networking would be a good way to go.