PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Duet - Advise Please! - New Customer

srgriff9
2009-11-29, 20:09
I purchased the Squeezebox Duet from Amazon tonight and based on the reviews it had 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few complaints on Amazon but the general consensus was the product worked but required some initial setup time. I tend to research my products thoroughly and do admit the Squeezebox Duet was an impulse buy while watching Sunday football. The price attracted me in and the name Logitech meant they would stand behind the product. I am aware that Logitech had acquired the technology from a previous company.
After making the purchase I was excited to learn more about the functionality and features the product has to offer prior to arriving. I then discovered this forum and started to read about the complaints:
• Software upgrade issues
• Wireless networking issues
• Brightness on remote
• Cannot connect to mymusic
I personally would be using the Squeezebox Duet for Napster and Pandora. My product will be arriving in 4 days and I am seriously thinking about not even opening the box and returning it to Amazon and purchasing a SONOS ZP90 w/CR200.
Are there any users out there who are enjoying the Squeezebox Duet?
Any advice from the forum would be helpful……..
FYI….I have strong technical background and understand networking.
Thanks,
SG

eap
2009-11-29, 20:27
I purchased the Squeezebox Duet from Amazon tonight and based on the reviews it had 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few complaints on Amazon but the general consensus was the product worked but required some initial setup time. I tend to research my products thoroughly and do admit the Squeezebox Duet was an impulse buy while watching Sunday football. The price attracted me in and the name Logitech meant they would stand behind the product. I am aware that Logitech had acquired the technology from a previous company.
After making the purchase I was excited to learn more about the functionality and features the product has to offer prior to arriving. I then discovered this forum and started to read about the complaints:
• Software upgrade issues
• Wireless networking issues
• Brightness on remote
• Cannot connect to mymusic
I personally would be using the Squeezebox Duet for Napster and Pandora. My product will be arriving in 4 days and I am seriously thinking about not even opening the box and returning it to Amazon and purchasing a SONOS ZP90 w/CR200.
Any advice from the forum would be helpful……..
FYI….I have strong technical background and understand networking.
Thanks,
SG

Been enjoying it now for 5 months. I use it mainly for Pandora and Sirius.

Most problems reported here appear to relate to wireless network of the user. I have my duet receiver wired (not wireless) to my network, which likely is the reason I have no problems.

Secondly, others have problems if they do not keep a local computer on all the time to run the software. I do -- hence no problems.

You'll be fine if you can go wired, or if you have a good wireless network. Also, if you can, keep a computer running 24/7 with the software.

Recap to avoid most problems:

1. run duet receiver wired (if possible).

2. Run a computer 24/7 that has the squeezebox server software running on it.

SuperQ
2009-11-29, 22:25
If you do have a PC that you keep on all the time and want to play local music files goto www.mysqueezebox.com and download Squeezebox Server. It's free to use even if you don't have a squeezebox. That should get you familiar with it.

gizek
2009-11-29, 23:48
... and don't forget about SoftSqueeze Player. It's like virtual Squeezebox player. You could have it running on one computer and control it on Squeezecenter server side from the other.

jonr71
2009-11-30, 02:28
I use the Duet almost entirely for Napster (some internet Radio too). I have a wired and a wireless receiver both of which work really well and I have had few issues.

I would suggest getting it out of the box, getting it running and seeing how you go. You will find people on here very helpful. You will also only see the bad points on these forums - those who are happy are generally not posting. As you are technically literate you should be able to get things running and you will understand the issues when they arise.

BTW. I don't run squeezecenter on any PC as I don't have one that is on 24/7. I never have any issues related to this.

B1tbull
2009-11-30, 03:19
Despite the extended "Mysqueezebox.com" outage last weekend ( see that forum),
I still think the Duet is more bang for the buck than anything else out there.
Both the Duet and SB3 ( Classic ) performed as I expected for almost 2 years now.
Browsing this forum you will see indeed many issues mostly due to the very different and sometimes complex PC/Network environment clients want to integrate Squeezeboxes into and there is nothing wrong in doing that by trial and error + a little help from the friends.
Any forum is always biased towards what does not work - not many postings when everything is OK.
The whole concept is still a winner in my view ( NO - I am not a logitech employee or stockholder).

Simon_loves_music
2009-11-30, 12:20
I'm a Duet owner for some 3 months now, and have way too many painful and frustrating problems with it. This is balanced out by periods of superb musical enjoyment when everything is working properly!

I do use the receiver in wired mode, but I dont keep my PC running 24/7 (or the Squeezebox, everything gets powered on in the evenings/weekends only).

Overall I am sticking with the Duet a bit longer, I have gradually learned certain do's and dont's (including a new one today - turn on your PC - leave for few minutes, then turn on squeezebox - to avoid connectivity issues), and am hoping the next lot of software updates are going to resolve a lot of these issue.

But I am dissapointed overall, the number of problems has been far far greater than I would have expected. Dont expect an easy ride if you buy one of these, it will take time to bed it in.

kc5f
2009-11-30, 12:31
Maybe I'm lucky, but I've had my Duet for over a year, use it wireless without my PC being on and I love it. The times it hangs up I can usually just power it off and on and it once again finds the network. If that doesn't work, then I reboot the router and the receiver as well. But my wife and daughter use it to listen to online services, too, and they wouldn't have stuck with it if they had issues with it.

aubuti
2009-11-30, 18:28
I have several different Squeezebox models, and enjoy the Duet very much. I've had it for a little over 2 years. Yes, there are a lot of negative comments here. That's because people tend to post here when they have a problem to solve (or sometimes just to vent), and not to say "it's all working fine for me..." It does have its flaws, and depending on your environment those flaws could be unnoticeable or they could be dealbreakers. Most of the complaints are about wifi connectivity with the SB Controller, and very often the problem is with the user's wifi network.

The SB Controller is not as foolproof as other SB models, but it's also more fun when it works. It almost always works for me, and when it doesn't all it usually needs is to be rebooted.

mark wollschlager
2009-11-30, 18:52
I have had 2 for 11 months with few problems.
I like them well enough I bought another receiver and a Boom.
My wife even likes them.
Before I set them up I made a couple of changes to my network.
I got rid of any 802.11b wireless gear and run only g or N.
I checked the wireless 'neighborhood' and adjusted channels to avoid other networks.
YMMV

Mark.

GeeJay
2009-11-30, 20:20
I've had the Duet for almost a year and a half. The Receiver is wired now, so no problems there, and recent software upgrades have made the Controller much more reliable.

I listen to Pandora for extended periods once or twice a week. It really works well on the SB system, and software updates have improved that experience as well by allowing me to sync among my 3 SB3s and Duet.

danny
2009-12-01, 08:54
i just got my squeezebox receiver last nite (already have the boom and the controller). it took me a long while to get the receiver working (several reboots, resets, etc.). it would not connect wirelessly, so i decided to go the ethernet way (it took several more tries) and finally was able to connect to the network and mysqueezebox.com. the receiver went through a software/firmware update soon after being connected. i then unplugged the ethernet cable and did another reset to try to connect wirelessly, and within 2 minutes it was up and running! i checked this morning and the receiver is still online, and hopefully will stay on without issues.

i could be wrong, but it seems like folks having issues with their units are server related. if you use your squeezebox utilizing mysqueezebox.com only then i think issues would be at a minimal. just my 2 cents.

Simon_loves_music
2009-12-02, 04:19
>>i could be wrong, but it seems like folks having issues with their units are server related. if you use your squeezebox utilizing mysqueezebox.com only then i think issues would be at a minimal. just my 2 cents.

Nope, when my controller isnt working, even though it connects to the wireless network "OK" it refuses to connect to mysqueezebox.com

I've not looked into this because my main focus is server related music, but its still annoying that the internet only mode doesnt always work.

jaaen
2009-12-02, 14:32
I have had 2 x Squeezebox Duets for about 3 months.

I listen to Internet Radio, music through iTunes and Spotify.

It is all wireless - no Ethernet cables.

Both my kids and wife are using it many times a day - with very few complaints.

I also had a few issues in the beginning - but it was mainly related to the fact that my wlan is WEP secured and I was confused about how you insert an ASCII WEP code using hexdecimal! Finally, when I figured it out - the controller and the player connected with no problems.

Most of the problems after this has been related to problems with the wlan adapter - i.e. the same problem as my PC has when connecting to the Internet. I should mention that often there are nine devices (including 3 PCs) connected to the same wlan adapter - and still the music streams with no stuttering.
It seems from the posts here that if you use Ethernet you would have even less connection problems.

One additional problem I had after the latest software upgrade, was that they had added new option to scan the iTunes artwork (or something like that) and this option was by default disabled. Hence, after the upgrade (and after the iTunes library was rescanned) I was puzzled that I lost the artwork which had been there earlier. But, it didn't take long to find the new option and enable it.

A small bonus: In my case - I have been really happy with the additional possibility to stream Spotify through so easily through the system. (Note though that this is not a fully consumer friendly solution - so again requires a bit 'hacking'). But it has made some great parties with friends dwelling in nostalgia over lost songs from the past! :-)

So, in summary: This is not like buying a CD player which will just work consistently all the time. This is like buying an application for your PC, which may need a reboot, may have a few issues after an upgrade and requires some to figure out the many options. But, in my case it has worked well.

gklainer
2009-12-02, 21:30
I have had my Duet for about 4 weeks now. I have two receivers connected - 1 wireless and 1 through a Belkin Powerline. I think if you take a few initial steps that many folks have already mentioned you won't have many issues if any at all.

1. If using a Wireless N router - eliminate "B" devices on the network.
2. Check to insure you are on a channel without other traffic 1, 6 or 11.
3. Insure your PC running squeezebox server is connected directly to your router.

With those three simple steps I got mine up and running without many issues. I had one receiver that was very far from the router and only getting 10-25% signal. It would re-buffer once in a while so I connected it through a Belkin powerline and the problem immediately disappeared.

So far, I'm really pleased with the Duet an may add another receiver in the future.

Gary

Mnyb
2009-12-03, 02:21
+1 If you want to run a local library of your own files I strongly suggest running squeezebox server on a computer that is wired to router. Put any old clunker in the closet besides the router. Almost anything but the most low powered NAS boxes can run squeezeboxserver in general only use devices with x86 cpu and 1G ram >=1,2Ghz and your ok.
This server should have static ip.

The local "squeezboxserver" has an web-UI that will be visible to all computers on the local network http://<server-ip>:9000

Admin task and building playlists etc can be performed remotely.

In general wireless should be regarded as something you use when it is impossible/impractical to wire.
You be astonished how much time some spend on this forum trying to "fix it" instead of buying a spool of cat5 and a plier and a fistfull of nails ?

Some see wifi as a natural progression and wires and as "old stuff" wifi is a complement to a "real" network.

This leaves the controller still wireless, that not such a big concerns as the traffic to/from it is not that heavy. But one of the drawbacks of the controller is that it does not do roaming properly there is workarounds on this forum.
People in large houses with multiple floors and thick walls have to put in some effort to make it work.

In my flat, all this works fine wired and wireless.

srgriff9
2009-12-04, 15:46
Thanks for all the great responses. I recevied my Duet on Wednesday evening and after 5 minutes of setting it up Napster was playing. Took the advice and hard wired the receiver, so far everything is working perfect

jaaen
2009-12-05, 01:06
Thanks for all the great responses. I recevied my Duet on Wednesday evening and after 5 minutes of setting it up Napster was playing. Took the advice and hard wired the receiver, so far everything is working perfect

Great to hear. Welcome to the club of happy Squeezebox users!

B1tbull
2009-12-05, 02:29

Welcome to the community.
Please do not shy away from wirelles, it can be tricky but for myself both SB3 and Duet connected without a wire form day one and never had any "network" issue since then.
If anything funny happens do come back to this forum , it's such a great resource that rumor is Logitech Support when called will first ask if you looked into the forum.
Also the Wiki ( under community above ) is referred to a lot and for good cause as it has solutions to most common how to's and most frequent issues.