PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody Radio

walterconklin
2009-11-29, 15:21
Can I listen for free to the Rhapsody Radio channels on the Squeezebox?

pski
2009-11-29, 16:08

If you've a MySqueezeBox.com account, you can get a free 30 trial. I think after that it's monthly.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rhapsody Radio. The service here (US) lets you listen to whatever you want..

P

toby10
2009-11-30, 04:47

No, Rhapsody and Napster have no ongoing free service beyond the trial period.
You can use the radio ch's ongoing for free on:
Pandora (free = limited to 40 hours per month)
Slacker (free = limited to six song skips per ch per hour)
Last.fm (completely free in US, UK, Germany)

mortslim
2009-12-01, 15:32
Rhapsody offers free listening on a computer but with fewer choices than what you can choose to hear with a subscription.

My attitude about my Rhapsody subscription is that I get greater entertainment value out of it than my cable television subscription which costs 5 times more.

If you like on demand listening to almost any album, song or artist ever released, then you may like a subscription. That's the big difference between Rhapsody and most other services: with the others, you can't be so precise as to what you can listen to.

86atc250r
2009-12-01, 15:57
Pandora (free = limited to 40 hours per month)

Are you sure about that? I listen to a *LOT* of Pandora and have never bumped up against any limits.

The only limit I ever hit is an 8hr continuous listening limit, at which time you just have to verify you're still alive by clicking play again.

My attitude about my Rhapsody subscription is that I get greater entertainment value out of it than my cable television subscription which costs 5 times more.

Rhapsody is well worth the minimal cost in my opinion, as well.

Between these two services I rarely even listen to my local collection --- too much new music out there to explore (even if it is just new to me!)...

toby10
2009-12-01, 16:14
Are you sure about that? I listen to a *LOT* of Pandora and have never bumped up against any limits.

The only limit I ever hit is an 8hr continuous listening limit, at which time you just have to verify you're still alive by clicking play again.

Quite certain. :)

from Pandora FAQ:
Q: Is Pandora free?

Yes.

Registering for Pandora will provide you with a free, advertising-supported Pandora account. You are never required to pay anything to use Pandora.

However, free Pandora accounts will only play 40 hours of music for free per month, then the music will stop. Once that happens, you will have the option to pay 99 cents for unlimited listening hours for the rest of that month, or else to come back the following month for another free 40 hours. Each month where you hit this limit, you'll have the same choice. We never bill you after the fact, nor do we charge you automatically, or anything sneaky like that. If you're giving us money, you'll know each time-- each payment will be up-front and initiated on your end via credit card.

For more information about the 40-hour limit and your options around that, please click here.

aubuti
2009-12-02, 07:20
However, free Pandora accounts will only play 40 hours of music for free per month, then the music will stop. Once that happens, you will have the option to pay 99 cents for unlimited listening hours for the rest of that month, or else to come back the following month for another free 40 hours. Each month where you hit this limit, you'll have the same choice. We never bill you after the fact, nor do we charge you automatically, or anything sneaky like that. If you're giving us money, you'll know each time-- each payment will be up-front and initiated on your end via credit card.
I hadn't noticed the part about unlimited listening for $0.99/month before. How does this work with SBs? I would guess that the user gets a message from Pandora via SBS or MySB that the 40 hours has been exceeded, and then the user goes to the Pandora web site to do the 99 cent credit card transaction. Or is it some other way?

toby10
2009-12-02, 07:56
I hadn't noticed the part about unlimited listening for $0.99/month before. How does this work with SBs? I would guess that the user gets a message from Pandora via SBS or MySB that the 40 hours has been exceeded, and then the user goes to the Pandora web site to do the 99 cent credit card transaction. Or is it some other way?

That would be my guess as to how it functions. I rarely use Pandora so I've never hit the 40 hr limit.
Seems like a pretty good deal, $12 per year for Pandora. But it would also be aggravating to have to go through the buy process 12x a year. :)
And, of course, this would inevitably happen (stop streaming) at the most inopportune times.
It's a great "hook" for Pandora though. Get you using the service then when the payment aggravation level reaches a certain point you just buy a yearly subscription.

aubuti
2009-12-02, 09:40
Seems like a pretty good deal, $12 per year for Pandora. But it would also be aggravating to have to go through the buy process 12x a year. :)
An especially good deal when a PandoraOne subscription is $36/year and at present the big benefit of PandoraOne -- 192kbps streaming -- isn't available via the SB. But yes, there is the aggravation factor, which could be worth the price difference.