PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox without remote

70 Chevelle
2009-11-28, 22:47
Alright so my problem here is i lost my squeezebox remote long ago and now my squeezebox server tells me no player found but my squeezebox control panel gives me the "ok" on all the diagnostics. I am guessing some setting like the WEP key has been wiped out and that's the reason for no connection. I don't see Logitech selling any replacement remotes so am i out of luck with a worthless squeezebox? I have not used this in years so i come here for help.Thanks.

snarlydwarf
2009-11-28, 22:58
Alright so my problem here is i lost my squeezebox remote long ago and now my squeezebox server tells me no player found but my squeezebox control panel gives me the "ok" on all the diagnostics. I am guessing some setting like the WEP key has been wiped out and that's the reason for no connection. I don't see Logitech selling any replacement remotes so am i out of luck with a worthless squeezebox? I have not used this in years so i come here for help.Thanks.

Actually, they do sell replacement remotes (though at the moment, their web ordering thing is sorta.. chaotic, showing random selections of items from one day to the next).

What model SB is this?

Everything except the Duet, by default, should also work if you use a universal remote and tell it you have a JVC DVD player.

So if you have one sitting around the house somewhere or can pick one up out of the impulse items by the cash registers at your local grocery store (now I know why Safeway sells remotes!) you can be back online.

70 Chevelle
2009-11-28, 23:11
Now sure what version it is but it is the smaller version and not the one before that was wider.

Ok so i had a universal remote around the house at one time but i might have thrown it out. Sigh ok well i can pick one up tomorrow and hopefully program it correctly. Thanks for your quick help.

70 Chevelle
2009-11-29, 18:58
Found out it's the SB3 and i bought a Phillips Universal Remote but so far have not been able to get it to go with the JVC codes. What codes did anyone use to get theirs to work?

aubuti
2009-11-29, 19:03
Did you check to make sure that the JVC codes are enabled in the server settings? In the SBS web ui, go to Settings > Player > Remote.

70 Chevelle
2009-11-29, 19:12
I go to setting -> player but all it gives me is "player not found" . No option for "remote".

aubuti
2009-11-29, 19:19
I go to setting -> player but all it gives me is "player not found" . No option for "remote".
I should have thought of that. Try pointing the remote at the SB3 and then pressing and holding the left arrow key for about 5 seconds. If you're lucky that will take you into the SB3's configuration menus for initial setup, including network configuration, wifi encryption key, etc. If that works then the server should be able to find the player and you can take it from there. Good luck.

70 Chevelle
2009-11-29, 19:27
Tried it and its a no go. Well it looks like i got a paperweight on my hand here. I know the transporter has buttons on the front which would have been great for the SB3 but it's too expensive for me so does anyone else make a wireless devise like the SB3 that allows me to configure it without a remote cause i would have for my remote to get lost or broken and end up with another dead item.

pfarrell
2009-11-29, 19:47
70 Chevelle wrote:
> Tried it and its a no go. Well it looks like i got a paperweight on my
> hand here.

All you need is to borrow a remote from someone. At least until you can
do problem isolation. Tell folks where you are, and there is a good
chance that you can meet in a pub, borrow the remote and buy the guy a pint.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

aubuti
2009-11-29, 19:50
The SB3-style remotes, or the backlit versions, may reappear in the Logitech store at some point. Or not. But you could use the Boom remote, which is available. Here's the link I get for the US: http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.17096400#back

The Boom remote doesn't have alphanumeric keys, which I think is a drawback (esp when you enter your WEP key...). It also doesn't have a Brightness button, which is used for player firmware updates. So if you go this route you should set the player to update the firmware automatically when an update is available. This is done in the initial configuration menu I mentioned before.

Or you could look for an SB3 on eBay or something. But I just saw Pat's post, and that looks like the best solution -- borrow a remote.

70 Chevelle
2009-11-29, 20:14
I have been out of the loop for a very long time so i had no idea i could use a remote form the Boom even if it is limited it could get me where i need to go. Wow if i knew this i would not have picked up a Universal Remote as there was always a chance it would not work and it did not.

It would of been great if i knew anyone that owned a SB because then i could use the remote for setup and then stick with the GUI after. Thanks snarlydwarf,aubuti,pfarrell for your help, i appreciate it.