PDA

View Full Version : Where to try the Touch?

grimholtz
2009-11-25, 19:22
Hi,

I have a lot of SB3s and Boomboxes. I want to get a few more Boomboxes, but before I do, I want to try the Touch... I might want that instead, but I've got no idea. How can I "try it" before I buy it?

thanks,
grimholtz

pfarrell
2009-11-25, 19:29
grimholtz wrote:
> I have a lot of SB3s and Boomboxes. I want to get a few more Boomboxes,
> but before I do, I want to try the Touch... I might want that instead,
> but I've got no idea. How can I "try it" before I buy it?

First, you have to wait until its released.

Until then, its all just speculation.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

grimholtz
2009-11-25, 20:16
OK, I meant the Squeezebox Radio... sorry. Posted in the wrong forum. Still, anyone?

aubuti
2009-11-25, 20:42
Unless you're ready to shell out for a plane ticket, it would help to know where you are located.... From what various people have posted here it doesn't appear to be very easy to find them on shelves and set up to try out. Your best bet might be to order and then return within 30 days if you don't like it.

grimholtz
2009-11-25, 20:52
I'm in Boston. So big-chain retailers like BestBuy don't have these on the floor, is that right?

I forgot about the 30-day return option. Sounds reasonable, but no retailers carry any of the squeezeboxes yet? :(

pfarrell
2009-11-25, 20:57
grimholtz wrote:
> I'm in Boston. So big-chain retailers like BestBuy don't have these on
> the floor, is that right?

Radio? or Touch?
Look in the Radio forum section, there are lots of comments about
sightings of the Radio in retail stores.

> I forgot about the 30-day return option. Sounds reasonable, but no
> retailers carry any of the squeezeboxes yet? :(

Any? There are lots of models, and lots of retailers carry them.
Again, I suggest you check the Radio section, and use a proper subject
line that reflects what you want to do.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

aubuti
2009-11-25, 21:12
I'm in Boston. So big-chain retailers like BestBuy don't have these on the floor, is that right?

I forgot about the 30-day return option. Sounds reasonable, but no retailers carry any of the squeezeboxes yet? :(
Take a look in the SB Radio forum and you'll see lots of tales of what people found when they went to BB. The experience varies from one BB to another. In general BB is pushing a competing line of products from Sony, and staff had to run back to the stockroom to find a boxed SB Radio, or if they were on the shelves they weren't connected to any network. Some BBs didn't have any SB Radios in stock.

I imagine other retailers carry the SB Radio, but I don't know which.

There is a resellers list (http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/reseller-list.html) that lists a place in Needham and another in Lexington, but I wouldn't trust that site to be up-to-date since they are pulling the plug on www.logitechsqueezebox.com and redirecting everything to the parent site, www.logitech.com.

grimholtz
2009-11-25, 21:22
Thanks, everyone.
grimholtz

kmr
2009-11-28, 21:44
Take a look in the SB Radio forum and you'll see lots of tales of what people found when they went to BB. The experience varies from one BB to another. In general BB is pushing a competing line of products from Sony, and staff had to run back to the stockroom to find a boxed SB Radio, or if they were on the shelves they weren't connected to any network. Some BBs didn't have any SB Radios in stock.

I imagine other retailers carry the SB Radio, but I don't know which.

There is a resellers list (http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/reseller-list.html) that lists a place in Needham and another in Lexington, but I wouldn't trust that site to be up-to-date since they are pulling the plug on www.logitechsqueezebox.com and redirecting everything to the parent site, www.logitech.com.

Was at my local (SoCal) Fry's today - they had Boom, Duet, and Radio on display, with inventory of each (including one RED Radio!). You can't really try them out because they don't have a network connection, but you can push buttons, turn knobs, heft them, etc. Don't know if there are any Fry's in Boston or not. BestBuy in my area was inconsistent: some Booms on display, but no Radios; one store said they had two Radios but couldn't lay their hands on them, while another store had boxes on shelves easily visible.

I would assume that both Fry's and BB will carry the Touch too, but I have no inside knowledge...

grimholtz
2009-11-29, 20:25
Was at my local (SoCal) Fry's today - they had Boom, Duet, and Radio on display, with inventory of each (including one RED Radio!). You can't really try them out because they don't have a network connection, but you can push buttons, turn knobs, heft them, etc. Don't know if there are any Fry's in Boston or not. BestBuy in my area was inconsistent: some Booms on display, but no Radios; one store said they had two Radios but couldn't lay their hands on them, while another store had boxes on shelves easily visible.

I would assume that both Fry's and BB will carry the Touch too, but I have no inside knowledge...

Thanks for the info! I'm most interested in just hearing the sound quality and max volume level of the Radio as compared to my Booms. Doesn't really matter what the source is. Were you able to play anything at all?

kmr
2009-11-29, 21:19
Thanks for the info! I'm most interested in just hearing the sound quality and max volume level of the Radio as compared to my Booms. Doesn't really matter what the source is. Were you able to play anything at all?

I didn't try, since I already have a Radio! I think that some BestBuys may have them where they can be tried, but not all.