PDA

View Full Version : Help w/iPeng 1.2.1 finding player(s) - please

SNazz123
2009-11-25, 10:45
Hello all. I hope this is simple fix you can help me with. I've got a Squeezebox Duet with the latest firmware. I have Logitech receiver in the "media room". I've got a second Logitech receiver in the "living room". They are viewable using the Logitech controller. I have synchronized them so they play the same thing in both rooms when both systems are switched on. iPeng sees the two players but only when my Macintosh Pro is on and iPeng does recognize that both players are synchronized. Good so far.

However, when I shut the Mac down and launch iPeng I then select the Music Source as "MySqueezebox.com" (as opposed to My Music Library when the computer is ON). At that point the two Squeezebox receivers ("players" as iPeng seems to call them) "media room" and "living room" disappear. I have both players selected to switch to MySqueezebox.com BTW but they do not appear so MySqueezebox.com as the music source returns no players. I'm totally stumped and I hope someone can give me some simple, step-by-step instructions so that I can access Internet Radio, Last.fm, etc. when the Macintosh is OFF - from iPeng. I do have a MySqueezebox.com account and password by the way. Is there something I need to do on the Macintosh side to make this work? Launch the Squeezebox Server (Version 7.4.1 / r28947) on the Mac and do something? Fix something through the controller? Through iPeng?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. I feel I'm missing something that should be obvious.

Thanks and "Happy Thanksgiving"!

SNazz123

Tex
2009-11-26, 13:25
Does the same result happen when you try to change the source with the controller? And are you unable to use the remote control option at Squeezebox.com?
You might also read this.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/known-issues/

pippin
2009-11-26, 14:08
The problem is due to the order of things you do.

For understanding: iPeng can only see your player whenever it's connected to a server. A server can either be the Squeezebox Server on your Mac or MySqueezebox.com. However, when you shut down the Mac, the players will not automatically switch to MySB, but they will have to be connected to it first.

The Controller can still see the players because it's using the UDAP protocol (that's the same protocol that's being used to set up the Receiver), it essentially re-configures the players.
But iPeng can't so that because it would require low-level access to WiFi hardware that Apple doesn't allow.

So what you have to do is one of the following:

1. switch your players to MySB BEFORE you shut down the Mac. A convenient way to do this is to use iPeng and in iPeng to just select MySB as a source, it will then ask to carry your players along. If they are synced, automatically both players will be switched, if they are not synced, you may have to check the mark for the second player, too (you will understand this when you do it).
But you can as well switch them using the Controller if you enable the menu to do so. You do that in "Settings->Main Menu" and the Menu you have to enable is "Switch Library" or something like that.

2. Use a (Squeezebox Server) plugin called SvrPowerControl to shut down the Mac. That plugin can be configured to automatically switch all players to MySB before shutting down the server.

Oh, and one more thing: You DID set your (MySB) account details in the setting of Squeezebox Server, didn't you?

SNazz123
2009-12-01, 13:37
Thank Tex and Pippin for your posts and suggestions. (Yes Tex, I did use the controller to try changing things as I figured if that didn't work the problem was not with iPeng. If I recall correctly, I think I had problems there as well.) (Yes Pippin - I did set my account details in Squeezebox Server.)

As it turns out there was a problem with my second Logitech receiver that required that I do a return to factory settings according to Logitech. Once I followed their directions I connected to my Wi-Fi network and then iPeng was able to see everything again and was able to toggle between my Music Library on the Mac and MySqueezebox.com for internet radio, etc. I don't know what failed or why on the Logitech Squeezebox Duet receiver but unplug and power-cycling didn't do the trick. A complete factory reset was necessary.)

But I also wondered if I had shot myself in the foot somehow. At some point I became aware that the images of what look like the Squeezebox Duet receivers can be toggled by touch, on and off. I wonder if I had done that. If anyone has a like to what touching these images does, I'd love to understand this aspect a bit more if you've got a link to the graphics (and what they do) in iPeng v.1.2.1.

Thanks for your help!
SNazz123

pippin
2009-12-01, 14:02
But I also wondered if I had shot myself in the foot somehow. At some point I became aware that the images of what look like the Squeezebox Duet receivers can be toggled by touch, on and off. I wonder if I had done that. If anyone has a like to what touching these images does, I'd love to understand this aspect a bit more if you've got a link to the graphics (and what they do) in iPeng v.1.2.1.

They are for the logical "on/off" feature of the player, indeed.
A Squeezebox never is really "OFF" (unless you unplug it from power). But this state will stop playback.
If it's an SB with a display, the "OFF" screen saver will start and usually it becomes dimmed down.
If you have several synced players, turning a player "OFF" will stop playback on that device without impacting playback on the other players.

Playing something on a player (issuing "play" on an item or pressing the "play" button) will turn the player ON.

Now iPeng's "Master Off" (the big one on NowPlaying" can also have additional meaning when you sync several players.
In this case it will show an icon with three SBs, indicating that you are using a group. This group has three states:
1. all ON. Touching the icon will turn all players OFF.
2. some ON, some OFF, same as 1.
These two are the "leave house" options.
3. all OFF. Touching the icon will turn all players ON.
Pressing "Play" will always only turn one player ON, the selected one.
You have full control over all players individually on the players page.

You can't impact network settings with the power buttons.

SNazz123
2009-12-02, 09:00
They are for the logical "on/off" feature of the player, indeed.
A Squeezebox never is really "OFF" (unless you unplug it from power). But this state will stop playback.
If it's an SB with a display, the "OFF" screen saver will start and usually it becomes dimmed down.
If you have several synced players, turning a player "OFF" will stop playback on that device without impacting playback on the other players.

Playing something on a player (issuing "play" on an item or pressing the "play" button) will turn the player ON.

Now iPeng's "Master Off" (the big one on NowPlaying" can also have additional meaning when you sync several players.
In this case it will show an icon with three SBs, indicating that you are using a group. This group has three states:
1. all ON. Touching the icon will turn all players OFF.
2. some ON, some OFF, same as 1.
These two are the "leave house" options.
3. all OFF. Touching the icon will turn all players ON.
Pressing "Play" will always only turn one player ON, the selected one.
You have full control over all players individually on the players page.

You can't impact network settings with the power buttons.

Thanks so much for the icon explanations pippin! I was confused when I saw the three devices showing because I only have two Logitech Squeezebox Duet receivers. I also noticed that instead of an on/off toggle that three steps were involved. Now I understand why. And it is also good to know that network settings are not affected by the power buttons.

If I haven't said it, iPeng is one awesome iPhone app! As soon as my wife got her new iPhone 3GS it was the first app we bought for her. iPeng is so packed with features (and I wouldn't have it any other way!) that it can be easy to get confused as to what feature or feature-set is currently active. I know now that if the players don't appear in iPeng that something must be wrong with the Duet and/or the network connection. I'll suspect that before iPeng in the future.

Thanks for the info and the assistance pippin. Great!

SNazz123

SNazz123
2009-12-04, 08:59
Hello again.

This morning I turned on my iPhone and launched iPeng whilst my Mac Pro computer was off. iPeng, once again, could not see either of my two players (two Squeezebox Duets). While the computer continued to be off, I picked up my Squeezebox Duet controller. Up popped "Internet Radio" and "Pandora" and both worked just fine. After I selected a radio station and started playing it, I shut the controller off. Then, while the computer continued to be off, I launched iPeng. Aha! iPeng "saw" the last radio station and artwork and both zones that the controller had. Great!

So here's my basic question: What do I have to set on iPeng for it to recognize both players upon startup when I am NOT using the controller? I want iPeng to "see" Internet Radio, Pandora, etc. without my needing to touch the controller from Logitech. iPeng sees my Wi-Fi network but only when the controller is started and a selection, e.g., Internet Radio/Station is selected.

Do I need to change iPeng settings? MySqueezebox.com (online settings)? My Squeezebox Server Macintosh software settings? Please keep it simple for me and just tell me what I need to make iPeng see my players anytime I launch iPeng. I'd like iPeng to have the same abilities to see my players that the controller has.

Thanks in advance!
SNazz123

pippin
2009-12-04, 09:25
So here's my basic question: What do I have to set on iPeng for it to recognize both players upon startup when I am NOT using the controller? I want iPeng to "see" Internet Radio, Pandora, etc. without my needing to touch the controller from Logitech. iPeng sees my Wi-Fi network but only when the controller is started and a selection, e.g., Internet Radio/Station is selected.
I'd like iPeng to have the same abilities to see my players that the controller has.

Me too. But as I explained above, this does not work.

iPeng can NOT talk to your player, only to the server or MySqueezebox.com. As long as your player is not connected to one of those, iPeng will not see it.
What your controller does when you select a radio station is that it connects your player to MySqueezebox.com. As soon as it has done that, you can "see" the player with iPeng.

So what you can do is:

So what you have to do is one of the following:

1. switch your players to MySB BEFORE you shut down the Mac. A convenient way to do this is to use iPeng and in iPeng to just select MySB as a source, it will then ask to carry your players along. If they are synced, automatically both players will be switched, if they are not synced, you may have to check the mark for the second player, too (you will understand this when you do it).
But you can as well switch them using the Controller if you enable the menu to do so. You do that in "Settings->Main Menu" and the Menu you have to enable is "Switch Library" or something like that.

2. Use a (Squeezebox Server) plugin called SvrPowerControl to shut down the Mac. That plugin can be configured to automatically switch all players to MySB before shutting down the server.

It's the same thing as you can't "see" your player in the web interface before it's connected.

SNazz123
2009-12-04, 10:42
Me too. But as I explained above, this does not work.

iPeng can NOT talk to your player, only to the server or MySqueezebox.com. As long as your player is not connected to one of those, iPeng will not see it.
What your controller does when you select a radio station is that it connects your player to MySqueezebox.com. As soon as it has done that, you can "see" the player with iPeng.

So what you can do is:

It's the same thing as you can't "see" your player in the web interface before it's connected.
OK Pippin. I think I finally "get it". I tried installing the SvrPowerControl plugin and seemed to have it appear. I think checked the box in front of it. When I checked the author's directions there was a reference to running a Mac OS X setup script (where that is, I don't know). Further, it wasn't clear to me how to configure the plugin. (Sorry. This is new territory for me pippin.)

I think I'll just take your advance to manually switch iPeng to MySB before I shut the computer down. If I can then connect with MySB with the computer off, that would work fine.

Thanks a lot for your continuing help!

SNazz123