PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading from 7.3.3 to 7.4.1? (Squeezebox 3)

NaimSqueezer
2009-11-24, 12:33
Hello,

ist it worth upgrading? I am using Sbox, Center 7.3.3 and a Windose as server. Most things run fine, not much to complain.

So, is the changed SB3 Gui, or something else, worth the hassle, or should i stick with 7.3.3 for some more months?
Will upgrading without uninstalling be ok, or rather uninstall, install,
and configuring the thing be better?

Thanks for enlightening comments,

NaimSqueezer

Wirrunna
2009-11-24, 14:02
Have a read of this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=71342 for some opinions.

Andrew Heald
2009-11-24, 14:15
I'm in much the same sort of situation. I'm considering loading up the
latest Squeezecenter in a VM alongside my original 7.3 VM. I'm presuming
that connecting my SB2 and Duet to the new SC instance will cause a
firmware update. Would this cause problems with reverting back to the
original if I wanted to do that?

I've noticed AlienBBC no longer properly works as it is, just the audio
play bit. Is this an mplayer thing, or just the plugin that needs an
update? Something to do with iPlayer?

Andrew. (Behind the curve!)

On Tue, November 24, 2009 7:33 pm, NaimSqueezer wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> ist it worth upgrading? I am using Sbox, Center 7.3.3 and a Windose as
> server. Most things run fine, not much to complain.
>
> So, is the changed SB3 Gui, or something else, worth the hassle, or
> should i stick with 7.3.3 for some more months?
> Will upgrading without uninstalling be ok, or rather uninstall,
> install,
> and configuring the thing be better?
>
> Thanks for enlightening comments,
>
> NaimSqueezer
>
>
> --
> NaimSqueezer
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> NaimSqueezer's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=25953
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=71790
>
>

DoomWolf
2009-11-25, 02:44
Same situation for me as well. I'm running 7.3.4 (with SB3, Boom, Controller and iPeng) and I'm finally happy with my setup. Everything works flawlessly and I've got all my configuration, plugins, MusicIP and external accounts working exactly as I want them. I have a 24/7 server so I never have any need to switch to squeezenetwork/mysqueezebox.com.

Everytime I read through the forum I come across more threads about issues with 7.4.x and questions over the Controller's GUI changes. Whenever I contemplate updating to SBS I feel an impending sense of dread about having to reconfigure all my plugins and relearn the user interface (and explain it to my wife who is already reluctant to use the Squeezeboxes).

The more I consider it, the more I think I'll stay with what I have until there is a more compelling reason to upgrade. That's actually quite an unusual thing for me to say (maybe I'm getting old ;)), but right now I enjoy having a stable platform. 7.4.x seems to be in a state of flux to becoming something better, more mature and more stable in the future (v8?). I will await future developments with interest.

pippin
2009-11-25, 03:11
I'm in much the same sort of situation. I'm considering loading up the
latest Squeezecenter in a VM alongside my original 7.3 VM. I'm presuming
that connecting my SB2 and Duet to the new SC instance will cause a
firmware update. Would this cause problems with reverting back to the
original if I wanted to do that?

No. I've been running a 7.3.3 and a 7.4/7.5 server in parallel for months now and I'm switching my SBs back and forth all the time without any trouble.

Same situation for me as well. I'm running 7.3.4 (with SB3, Boom, Controller and iPeng) and I'm finally happy with my setup. Everything works flawlessly and I've got all my configuration, plugins, MusicIP and external accounts working exactly as I want them. I have a 24/7 server so I never have any need to switch to squeezenetwork/mysqueezebox.com.

Everytime I read through the forum I come across more threads about issues with 7.4.x and questions over the Controller's GUI changes. Whenever I contemplate updating to SBS I feel an impending sense of dread about having to reconfigure all my plugins and relearn the user interface (and explain it to my wife who is already reluctant to use the Squeezeboxes).

The more I consider it, the more I think I'll stay with what I have until there is a more compelling reason to upgrade. That's actually quite an unusual thing for me to say (maybe I'm getting old ;)), but right now I enjoy having a stable platform. 7.4.x seems to be in a state of flux to becoming something better, more mature and more stable in the future (v8?). I will await future developments with interest.

Here is a personal opinion:

You have two conflicting rules:
1. never change a running system
2. newer is better

Hm...

_I_ really prefer 7.4+ to 7.3, especially with iPeng. I believe the UI changes are a good thing and some things (adding radio stations to favorites, having a real context menu for albums, artists and the like...) simply are not available in 7.3.3. I also prefer the UI on the Controller very much compared to 7.3

I believe that a lot of the UI issues people are having with 7.4 are simply due to the fact that some stuff has changed and if you are used to something else, you have to learn new behavior and may see confusing reactions at first.
You are an iPeng user so you will probably have less issues (on the Controller) because the Controller's UI moved closer to iPeng's (as it is in 1.2; in iPeng 1.2 iPeng's UI also moved closer to 7.4's Controller behavior). Due to iPeng's insisting to be different in the past ( :D ) you are used to concepts like "touch to play" so you will probably not grow yourself grey hair if the default action for a track in an album is to play that album from this very track.
I like it.

That said. If you are happy with what you have now, you might want to wait for 7.5. 7.4.x DOES have quality issues and I find the 7.5 betas to be more stable and bug-free than the 7.4.2 betas I've been using. If you are being brave, you could try that one as well.
Also, please check whether all your plugins work with 7.4+ there still are quite a few that don't.

If you have a PC, you could install 7.4 there first and give it a try, this is what I usually do if I'm not sure about a certain release.

NaimSqueezer
2009-11-25, 07:01
Had hoped for an improved graphical interface on the box, but it seems theres no clear advantage in sight.
Will stick with 7.3.3 for another while.