PDA

View Full Version : HDC H2 same screen size as Touch

W1NDRUSH
2009-11-24, 03:34
Am I the only person to be disappointed at the screen size of the Touch, turns out it's exactly the same size as the HDC ! Isn't a touch in the home worth a 7" ?! screen prices must be coming down if they can afford to put them in mobiles !?

IMHO

andynormancx
2009-11-24, 04:27
Am I the only person to be disappointed at the screen size of the Touch, turns out it's exactly the same size as the HDC ! Isn't a touch in the home worth a 7" ?! screen prices must be coming down if they can afford to put them in mobiles !?

Prices are down on mobile sized screens, because they are used in lots of mobiles ;)

There aren't really many devices on the mass market with a 7" touch screen, which means not many screens are made so they are probably a fair bit more expensive.

gorman
2009-11-29, 16:24
I've decided to skip the Touch due to the form factor/size. I longed for a bigger screen, with larger fonts for both track and artist name. Instead we got smaller font and less usable real estate.

JohnSwenson
2009-12-01, 12:36
If you are interested in a controller with a larger touch screen you can build one yourself. Get a touch screen of whatever size you like (7" ones can be had for less than $200) and connect it to something like a FitPC running squeezeplay. You then gat the same user interface and display as the Touch but on a larger screen. If you want audio out of the device you can plug in any USB DAC you want and you have something that works like a Touch but has a large touch screen.

If you want a large display on the other side of the room, you can just use a regular LCD display of whatever size you desire, again connect it to a simple computer running squeezeplay. If you want to control using that display you can add a wireless mouse to select items from the display (instead of actually touching the screen). You could just use the display for seeing whats playing and use another device for controlling. Lots of possibilities.

John S.

c3p0
2009-12-01, 14:04
Hi
one of the main reasons for buying a touch is the ability to handle 24/96 files.
I control my squeezebox with an iPod touch, so you can see the covers etc biography reviews inches from your eyes. I also use a wifi photoscreen to capture the HTML pages from the squeezecentre and display that too. Can't wait to get the touch to make better use of my HDTracks and LINN downloads.
There are other tablet pcs that can also be used as display/ controller. I also understand that the touch has a presence sensor and changes the font size, album cover size if it detects some nearbye. Large being the default

miab
2009-12-02, 23:15
If you are interested in a controller with a larger touch screen you can build one yourself. Get a touch screen of whatever size you like (7" ones can be had for less than $200) and connect it to something like a FitPC running squeezeplay. You then gat the same user interface and display as the Touch but on a larger screen. If you want audio out of the device you can plug in any USB DAC you want and you have something that works like a Touch but has a large touch screen.

If you want a large display on the other side of the room, you can just use a regular LCD display of whatever size you desire, again connect it to a simple computer running squeezeplay. If you want to control using that display you can add a wireless mouse to select items from the display (instead of actually touching the screen). You could just use the display for seeing whats playing and use another device for controlling. Lots of possibilities.

John S.

Hi John
Yes this is a good idea. I found Squeezeserver software but couldn't find the Squeezeplay software. Where can I find Squeezeplay? Many of the programs have changed names over the years and now going through Wikipedia I'm not sure what's what.

What do you think the larger screen would add as interference if placed on the audio rack with the main system?

gorman
2009-12-04, 01:49
There are other tablet pcs that can also be used as display/ controller. I also understand that the touch has a presence sensor and changes the font size, album cover size if it detects some nearbye. Large being the defaultI want to sit on my couch and control music with a remote. I don't want to custom build anything. The screen displays fonts smaller than SB3: it's not good for me. And LCD visibility when hit by light/sun/etc. goes down a lot. I can watch movies in the darkness, why should I need to listen music like that too?

aubuti
2009-12-04, 05:28
The screen displays fonts smaller than SB3
That's quite a generalization considering that each device has several different font sizes. Depending on your choices the SBT fonts could be smaller or larger than the SB3. I just compared the SBT side-by-side with SB3, using the medium-size text on the SB3 and the 10' (remote) ui on the SBT. The track title was *very* slightly larger on the SB3, but the album name and artist name were larger on the SBT. Now, if you normally use the largest size font on the SB3, then yes, the SBT does not show anything that large. At least not with the current software.

rotho
2009-12-04, 06:37
Hi John
I found Squeezeserver software but couldn't find the Squeezeplay software. Where can I find Squeezeplay? Many of the programs have changed names over the years and now going through Wikipedia I'm not sure what's what.

I downloaded Squeezeplay (or SqueezeBox Desktop ?) recently in the "Nightly Builds" pages :

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.4

See at the bottom of the page, there are versions for Mac OSX and Windows.
It is a bit odd that it is found in the page of the SquezeboxServer 7.4.2 beta version, but anyway, this version of Squeezeplay is working properly (I only tried the Mac version).

Hope this helps.

Olivier

Mnyb
2009-12-04, 06:42
Is there anyway to simulate the 10' remote UI on squeezeplay just to get an idea in how it will look ?

Edit: is it the wqvga. large print skin ?

gorman
2009-12-04, 09:23
That's quite a generalization considering that each device has several different font sizes. Depending on your choices the SBT fonts could be smaller or larger than the SB3. I just compared the SBT side-by-side with SB3, using the medium-size text on the SB3 and the 10' (remote) ui on the SBT. The track title was *very* slightly larger on the SB3, but the album name and artist name were larger on the SBT. Now, if you normally use the largest size font on the SB3, then yes, the SBT does not show anything that large. At least not with the current software.But there's less horizontal space, if I'm not mistaken.

What can I say? For my use this is a step back and not a step forward. I don't have the arrogance to say that this is a step back for anyone else. But apparently I'm not alone, considering this thread. I might be a minority, who knows... :)

In the original vision of Slimdevices, VFD was the way to go, they made a key selling point out of that.

aubuti
2009-12-04, 09:57
But there's less horizontal space, if I'm not mistaken.

What can I say? For my use this is a step back and not a step forward. I don't have the arrogance to say that this is a step back for anyone else. But apparently I'm not alone, considering this thread. I might be a minority, who knows... :)

In the original vision of Slimdevices, VFD was the way to go, they made a key selling point out of that.
I was responding to your claim that the SBT fonts are smaller. If the SBT isn't for you that's fine. I was only trying to put a little fact behind your sweeping generalization -- which, like all generalizations -- is false (ref Mark Twain). In fact it depends on *which* fonts you're talking about.

I don't think there's any dispute that the SB3 screen is wider than the SBT screen, when measured in inches or cm. But the SBT is a much higher resolution, and is more pixels wide than the SB3. The SBT is also taller than the SB3, whether measured in cm or pixels. When I compare them side by side with SB3's medium size font I find them equally legible, and the SBT actually shows more information. YMMV.

The original VFDs were great, but things move forward, especially when the VFD supplier has told Logitech that the VFD screens are EOL (see mherger's post elsewhere). Who knows, maybe there's a 7" or even a 12" screen (a la Sooloos) in Logitech's future plans.

gorman
2009-12-04, 14:08
Who knows, maybe there's a 7" or even a 12" screen (a la Sooloos) in Logitech's future plans.Then I'd be an happier camper. :)
In the meantime I think I'll fetch another couple of SB3, just in case.

aubuti
2009-12-04, 14:26
Then I'd be an happier camper. :)
In the meantime I think I'll fetch another couple of SB3, just in case.
In case you were interested, here's one comparison of the screens. As mentioned, other font sizes are possible on either SB. Apologies for the horrendously poor photo quality, but I hope it gives the idea.

EDIT: image replaced with one less likely to run off the browser page (same lousy cell phone camera image quality though).

toby10
2009-12-04, 14:33
And aubuti is a wedding photographer by trade. :)

SteveEast
2009-12-04, 14:53
And aubuti is a wedding photographer by trade. :)

Hmmm, which SB in the picture is the bride and which is the groom?

Steve.

usch
2009-12-13, 12:04
Hmmm, which SB in the picture is the bride and which is the groom?
Doesn't the bride usually wear white in our culture? ;)

aubuti
2009-12-13, 12:08
Doesn't the bride usually wear white in our culture? ;)
but if the choices are basic black or black with silver trim.......