PDA

View Full Version : Touch and PC simultaneously connected to the same extnl. HARDDRIVE

Dr. Akoya
2009-11-22, 14:28
Hello. I'm looking for an external harddrive solution, so I can access files on the harddrive from my computer and access music files on a Squeezebox touch at the same time.

1. It is possible: one external hard drive with 2 USB ports - one port for the SQBX Touch and one for my PC?

2.Or is there a file browser for the PC that let me access a hard drive that is connected to SQBX Touch through the USB port on the back ?

3. Or can SqBX Touch find an ethernet connected harddrive on the local network ((Ethernet Switch))?

4. WHAT IS YOUR IDEA ???!!! (USB, Ethernet or Wi-Fi? - does not matter - but only ONE harddrive - which external harddrive to buy ??)

(I'm NOT looking for an expensive NAS solution, but an easy and cheap solution, for having my squeezebox-mp3s and other files on the same hard drive, both accesable from PC and the Touch at the same time)

What should I buy? Recommendations?

Thanks for your replies :-)

Dr. Akoya

aubuti
2009-11-22, 14:32
The SB Touch runs a Samba (file sharing) server. So you can connect any standard external USB HDD to the SBT's USB port, and the drive contents will be seen by the rest of the network.

JohnSwenson
2009-11-23, 00:54
If your computer will be on whenever the Touch is being used you can setup a traditional Squeezebox Server on the PC and plug the external HD into the PC. Both the PC and SBS can access files on the HD.

If the PC will not be on when the Touch is being used you either have to have the server running on a NAS, or use the internal server and External drive.

Some NAS solutions are not too expensive, a Vortex box works very well and comes preloaded with SBS. If you all ready have the external HD you can get a SheevaPlug ($99) and install the SBS software and plug in the existing HD. This works well but takes a little effort to get setup.

Or as has been mentioned you can plug the external drive into the Touch and access it over the network from the PC. Since the Touch is primarily designed as a music player you might not get super high performance as a file server, especially if the Touch is playing music while you are trying to remotely access the files. I'm not sure any body has actually tested the performance as a file server. (It works, I'm just not sure how fast)

John S.

Dr. Akoya
2009-11-24, 09:57
The SB Touch runs a Samba (file sharing) server. So you can connect any standard external USB HDD to the SBT's USB port, and the drive contents will be seen by the rest of the network.

Thanks.

I guess it means that filesharing over the net (ethernet and Wi-Fi) works out-of-the box with the SB Touch. But I fear that it will be slow, when big files ( +500MB) is needed on the PC.

Will a SB Touch attached USB harddrive support REMOTE access or only local ?

Anyone who know of the Samba preformance on the SB Touch - can it be used as a allways on NAS ?

Will the external harddrive attached spinn day and night or only when it is needed - will it spin when hearing webradio on the Touch ?

Dr. Akoya
2009-11-24, 10:36
If your computer will be on whenever the Touch is being used you can setup a traditional Squeezebox Server on the PC and plug the external HD into the PC. Both the PC and SBS can access files on the HD.

If the PC will not be on when the Touch is being used you either have to have the server running on a NAS, or use the internal server and External drive.

Some NAS solutions are not too expensive, a Vortex box works very well and comes preloaded with SBS. If you all ready have the external HD you can get a SheevaPlug ($99) and install the SBS software and plug in the existing HD. This works well but takes a little effort to get setup.

Or as has been mentioned you can plug the external drive into the Touch and access it over the network from the PC. Since the Touch is primarily designed as a music player you might not get super high performance as a file server, especially if the Touch is playing music while you are trying to remotely access the files. I'm not sure any body has actually tested the performance as a file server. (It works, I'm just not sure how fast)

John S.

Thanks a lot for an very informative mail. You came up with some good ideas.

Is there a SheevaPlug clone (Like TonidoPlug or Pogoplug ( http://www.pogoplug.com/ http://www.tonidoplug.com/tonido_plug.html ) that is BORN with a Squeezeserver (SBS) - to hard to set up for me ?

I think Vortex Box (software) is a good solution - is there any other small hardware solutions (other than these three: http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/ ) that is made specific for running Vortex Box ?

Can I install Vortex on another partition to try it out - before I buy dedicated hardware ?

And most important - is it a 'noob' solution or do I need to study rocket science.....not into code at all.

Guess your are right - Samba on SBT might not be powerfull enough - or are we wrong dear "Logitech Forum" ??!

I have not come to a final conclusion yet - so I do not know if I should buy WD My Book EXTARNAL USB HARDDRIVE or WD EXTERNAL ETHERNET HARDDRIVE now ? - I am out of space .....apropos rocket science ;-)

Thanks again for your good answer !

Phil Leigh
2009-11-24, 10:55
I think you may be missing the point slightly. The purpose of adding a USB disk to the Touch is to play music (nothing more). It isn't intended to be a NAS replacement for all of your network file sharing needs!

You can access the Touch-connected disk from another machine on your network principally so that you can put new music-related files for the Touch on to it - not to read from it.

JohnSwenson
2009-11-24, 12:22
I still think your best bet is to get a vortex box, it comes with either a 1 or 2 TB disk and comes already loaded with SBS, its the easiest thing on the planet for adding general purpose NAS AND squeezebox server.

Vortexbox is two different things, software and hardware. You can download the software for free and run it on your own PC, OR you can buy the vortexbox hardware which includes the computer, hard drive and CD ROM drive for ripping CDs. The 1TB version of the box costs $349 and is ready to go when you unpack it, including Squeezebox server already installed. It includes the NAS software so you can use it as external storage for any computer on your network. It comes with the drive so you don't need to buy anything else.

They just came out with the micro version which is much smaller but does not have a builtin CD drive (you have to use an external USB CD drive to rip if you want to rip on the micro). Its $419 but only comes with a 500G drive. The micro is TINY if thats important.

BTW I just did a test of the Touch as NAS, it DOES work but its pretty slow. For these trials I used a fairly fast USB drive connected directly to the windows computer, to my linux files server using samba to the first computer and connected to the Touch using samba to the first computer. I was transfering a 670MB wav file in all cases. In all three cases the same external USB drive was used as the source.

Direct connect 26 S
Linux file server 70 S
Touch 252 S

John S.

Dr. Akoya
2009-11-24, 23:32
I think you may be missing the point slightly. The purpose of adding a USB disk to the Touch is to play music (nothing more). It isn't intended to be a NAS replacement for all of your network file sharing needs!

You can access the Touch-connected disk from another machine on your network principally so that you can put new music-related files for the Touch on to it - not to read from it.

You are right - I guess I was trying to Squeeze the Box to hard......

Dr. Akoya
2009-11-25, 00:15
I still think your best bet is to get a vortex box, it comes with either a 1 or 2 TB disk and comes already loaded with SBS, its the easiest thing on the planet for adding general purpose NAS AND squeezebox server.

Vortexbox is two different things, software and hardware. You can download the software for free and run it on your own PC, OR you can buy the vortexbox hardware which includes the computer, hard drive and CD ROM drive for ripping CDs. The 1TB version of the box costs $349 and is ready to go when you unpack it, including Squeezebox server already installed. It includes the NAS software so you can use it as external storage for any computer on your network. It comes with the drive so you don't need to buy anything else.

They just came out with the micro version which is much smaller but does not have a builtin CD drive (you have to use an external USB CD drive to rip if you want to rip on the micro). Its $419 but only comes with a 500G drive. The micro is TINY if thats important.

BTW I just did a test of the Touch as NAS, it DOES work but its pretty slow. For these trials I used a fairly fast USB drive connected directly to the windows computer, to my linux files server using samba to the first computer and connected to the Touch using samba to the first computer. I was transfering a 670MB wav file in all cases. In all three cases the same external USB drive was used as the source.

Direct connect 26 S
Linux file server 70 S
Touch 252 S

John S.

I am truly amazed at how competent answers you get in this forum. You have motivated me to smash the piggy bank after New Year. Thank you.

Do you know of other low budget amplifiers with intelligent auto turn off (music auto-detect, turns the amplifier on / off automatically) as this super nice one from Denmark: http://www.sumoh.com/index-2.html - they are working on an S80 with 2 x 80 watts.

Does this do the precise same job ?? ( http://astore.amazon.com/vort-20/detail/B00026BQJ6 ) - im not into what preamp is - just need a simple and god low budget amp (with power safe auto off) that will work with the SB Touch and a set off speakers. Alternatives ?

Can you recomment som low budget speakers - I like a different but stylish design - you know i was raised on Bang & Olufsen (B&O) because I am danish....

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp
http://www.roundsound.com/nucleus-micro-speakers.htm
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/radius-hd/r45-hd/your-speaker

Do you have any thing good to say about these ? Alternatives ? :-)

Great test BTW - 9,7 times slower at the Touch - ok for some music tracks - but to slow as a real NAS solution.

JohnSwenson
2009-11-25, 02:31
Do you have any thing good to say about these ? Alternatives ? :-)

I am an avid fan of the Nucleus Micros! I have 3 sets. I think they are one of the best values in audio today. The others in the series sound a little better but cost a lot more, as usual thats the ever present tradeoff you have to make. I don't use them in my main listening room, I have DIY speakers in there that I spent several thousand on, but I do use the Micros in other rooms.

Of the amps I also like the Audiosource amps very much. A Nucleus Micro system driven by the Audiosource would be very good sounding system. Not ultimate best in the world class, but still very good.

That other amp sounds rather interesting, I have no idea how it sounds, I haven't heard anything about it.

John S.

Dr. Akoya
2009-11-25, 17:01
I am an avid fan of the Nucleus Micros! I have 3 sets. I think they are one of the best values in audio today. The others in the series sound a little better but cost a lot more, as usual thats the ever present tradeoff you have to make. I don't use them in my main listening room, I have DIY speakers in there that I spent several thousand on, but I do use the Micros in other rooms.

Of the amps I also like the Audiosource amps very much. A Nucleus Micro system driven by the Audiosource would be very good sounding system. Not ultimate best in the world class, but still very good.

That other amp sounds rather interesting, I have no idea how it sounds, I haven't heard anything about it.

John S.

Great you can recomment the Nucleus Micros (the smallest speaker from Anthony Gallo I think) - They are sold in Denmark and a pair of ORBs cost the same because of shipping - I love the Micros "Swane" stand. Is the stand always WHITE or does it come in Stainless or Yellow - if you know ?

// Later:
Available Stand Colors:
Nucleus Micro™/Micro Ti (Matte' White, Black, Silver-Grey, Stainless)
Du™ (White, Black, Silver-Grey)
A'Diva™ (White, Black,Silver-Grey) //

Do I need to buy a Subwoofer or do you play them alone ? (On a budget, but like "BAZZ".) Are they full range speakers the The Nucleus™ Micro ?

Thanks - one small step closer....

...but still a bit confused....the ORBs are haunting the forums...?? :-$ >>> ....

.... >>> Avsforum Quote:

DValverde10-07-08, 02:40 PM
I work in the entertainment industry. I decided to research and buy a 5.1 speaker system as a birthday present to myself. I initially gave myself a budget of about $1500, so naturally the Orb system seemed very appealing. A music editor friend of mine has one that he's happy with. Nevertheless, I decided to research the best reviewed systems close to that price point. I listened to few systems and narrowed down my choices to either an Orb or Gallo system. I had only heard the Gallo Micros when I auditioned the Orbs, and at that point I saw pluses and minuses to either system, and so was feeling very torn. On the positive side, the Gallos had an open, airy sound with striking imaging and an expansive soundstage; the Orbs had a fuller midrange and powerful sounding sub. On the negative side, the Gallo micros where a bit thin in the midrange; the Orbs had no top end at all, and the sub was boomy in certain frequencies. But the quality of the Gallos' sound so impressed me that I sought out an A'Diva system. I couldn't find an A'Diva Ti system to audition, but the A'Divas where very impressive. They had the open, airy quality and imaging of the Micros, but there was more midrange body. I felt that the TR-1 sub was very smooth and musical, but didn't go quite deep enough for home theater. However, I loved the sound, and wanted to hear what the A'Diva Ti speakers with the TR-2 sub could deliver. I eventually located a 2.1 A'Diva Ti setup to audition. They amazed me. The treble is clean and more than adequately high; they handled the high violin notes of the Barber String Adagio without strain. The bass is deep and tight. I watched "Ice Age" with my son after setting up the system, and the collapsing glaciers were rendered with plenty of power. I'd just heard a set of Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers that same afternoon (WOW!) and was afraid of feeling disappointed with my little A'Diva Ti speakers when I got home. Not a chance! These little speakers are just amazing. After decades of listening to music and movies on lesser speakers, what these little balls can do feels like nothing short of a miracle. I ended up stretching my budget a a bit and buying the 5.1 A'Diva Ti system. Anyone trying to choose between the Orb speakers and the Gallos would do well to listen to an A'Diva system before buying. In my mind there's no contest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

elockett10-23-08, 03:19 PM
I can chime in with an opinion on this because I've lived with both the Orbs and A'Diva Ti for a couple of years and did a matched level comparison on higher ended eletronics. I focused from the upper bass and up in frequency and conducted the comparison a bit over a year ago. My shorthand conclusion is:

The A'diva Ti sounded like a refined version of the Orbs due a slightly more transparent midrange and more extended treble.
The A'diva Ti's enclosure was heavier and felt thicker than the Orbs (in all fairness though, the Orb's enclosure is very similar to Gallo's Nucleus Ti in both respects).
the A'diva Ti's have a more extended bass than the Orbs (though a sub is still required for anything resembling full range sound at the low end for either speaker). However, the advantage of the A'diva Ti is that its bass extends low enough that I got good integration with a sub at 90hz, which made the subs location impossible to spot. With the Orbs, I had to crossover at 110hz to get the same seamless integration. If I placed the sub within the left and right speaker boundaries I couldn't easily located it, but if I placed the sub in a corner (again at a crossover of 110hz), I could spot the sub easily as a separate sound source.

Conclusion: Given the price difference between the two speakers, I think the Orbs present the better bang for the buck given its substantially lower cost combined with a midrange 95% as good as the A'diva Ti. Put another way, the Orbs flaws relative to the A'divas are those of ommission as opposed to commission, always a good thing in my book. OTOH, if you want the literal best performer between the two, I'd have to give the edge to the A'diva Ti.

From: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-676871.html

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=628573