PDA

View Full Version : FW: Giving up and sending it back



John Hunt
2004-07-23, 14:44
John M Hunt

www.gr8mobiledeals.com <http://www.gr8mobiledeals.com/>

www.johnmhunt.com

www.silveresk.co.uk



_____

From: John Hunt [mailto:johnmhunt (AT) johnmhunt (DOT) com]
Sent: 23 July 2004 22:41
To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
Subject: [slim] Giving up and sending it back



I've been playing with this for a week or so and here's what I've found: if
I start slim as a server during XP start-up, only slim.exe runs and I can
use the squeezebox as often as I want, search, add playlists, delete them,
etc. No problems whatsoever, no dropped signal, nothing but music. Run
slimserver.exe, the link dies (didn't even get a song to play all the way
through tonight), the computer crashes and has to be switched off, all
within 2-60 minutes.



Conclusion: don't run slimserver.exe if you want to be able to use the
squeezebox or the computer. More deadly than any virus!



Out of interest, I tried http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9000
<http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9000/> in IE and got nothing where the xxx is the
squeezebox IP address.



John M Hunt

www.gr8mobiledeals.com <http://www.gr8mobiledeals.com/>

www.johnmhunt.com

www.silveresk.co.uk



_____

From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of John Hunt
Sent: 12 July 2004 08:24
To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
Subject: [slim] Giving up and sending it back

kdf
2004-07-23, 14:49
running SP2 by any chance? it seems to come up a lot. as for the IE test, make
sure you don't have any firewall blocking port 9000. Its not impossible that
windows will have turned on the firewall by default.

-kdf
_____
>
> From: John Hunt [mailto:johnmhunt (AT) johnmhunt (DOT) com]
> Sent: 23 July 2004 22:41
> To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
> Subject: [slim] Giving up and sending it back
>
>
>
> I've been playing with this for a week or so and here's what I've found: if
> I start slim as a server during XP start-up, only slim.exe runs and I can
> use the squeezebox as often as I want, search, add playlists, delete them,
> etc. No problems whatsoever, no dropped signal, nothing but music. Run
> slimserver.exe, the link dies (didn't even get a song to play all the way
> through tonight), the computer crashes and has to be switched off, all
> within 2-60 minutes.
>
>
>
> Conclusion: don't run slimserver.exe if you want to be able to use the
> squeezebox or the computer. More deadly than any virus!
>
>
>
> Out of interest, I tried http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9000
> <http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9000/> in IE and got nothing where the xxx is the
> squeezebox IP address.
>
>
>
> John M Hunt
>
> www.gr8mobiledeals.com <http://www.gr8mobiledeals.com/>
>
> www.johnmhunt.com
>
> www.silveresk.co.uk
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of John Hunt
> Sent: 12 July 2004 08:24
> To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
> Subject: [slim] Giving up and sending it back
>
>
>
>

Darren White
2004-07-23, 16:17
I understood that SP2 (preview, remember this thing is still
experimental :) had a new firewall application enabled by default.

Date sent: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:49:59 -0700
From: kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>
Subject: Re: FW: [slim] Giving up and sending it back
To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Send reply to: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
<mailto:discuss-request (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com?subject=unsubscribe>
<mailto:discuss-request (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com?subject=subscribe>

> running SP2 by any chance? it seems to come up a lot. as for the IE test, make
> sure you don't have any firewall blocking port 9000. Its not impossible that
> windows will have turned on the firewall by default.
>
> -kdf
> _____
> >
> > From: John Hunt [mailto:johnmhunt (AT) johnmhunt (DOT) com]
> > Sent: 23 July 2004 22:41
> > To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
> > Subject: [slim] Giving up and sending it back
> >
> >
> >
> > I've been playing with this for a week or so and here's what I've found: if
> > I start slim as a server during XP start-up, only slim.exe runs and I can
> > use the squeezebox as often as I want, search, add playlists, delete them,
> > etc. No problems whatsoever, no dropped signal, nothing but music. Run
> > slimserver.exe, the link dies (didn't even get a song to play all the way
> > through tonight), the computer crashes and has to be switched off, all
> > within 2-60 minutes.
> >
> >
> >
> > Conclusion: don't run slimserver.exe if you want to be able to use the
> > squeezebox or the computer. More deadly than any virus!
> >
> >
> >
> > Out of interest, I tried http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9000
> > <http://192.168.xxx.xxx:9000/> in IE and got nothing where the xxx is the
> > squeezebox IP address.
> >
> >
> >
> > John M Hunt
> >
> > www.gr8mobiledeals.com <http://www.gr8mobiledeals.com/>
> >
> > www.johnmhunt.com
> >
> > www.silveresk.co.uk
> >
> >
> >
> > _____
> >
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of John Hunt
> > Sent: 12 July 2004 08:24
> > To: 'Slim Devices Discussion'
> > Subject: [slim] Giving up and sending it back
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>

Philip Meyer
2004-07-25, 01:14
>I have Zonealarm running as well but either on or off makes no difference to
>the crashing.

The latest version of ZoneAlarm (50.590.043 i think) has some really serious problems with it. I've been using and praising ZoneAlarm for years, but gave up with this release. It was using 100% CPU, causing random lockups, etc, for many people. There are problems using IE6 with it. Have a look in their forums.

I believe one of the problems stems from doing an upgrade via the program - it doesn't uninstall the previous one fully, leaving some old OS hooks in place, and then installs different hooks for the new program.

To fix the major problem, I believe you can do the following:

1. You have to stop ZoneAlarm from loading at startup (option in the preferences page), then reboot.
2. uninstall, reboot.
3. Then install the previous version (4.5.something). reboot.
4. Stop ZoneAlarm from loading at startup, then reboot.
5. uninstall, reboot.

Then try installing the new one (preferably the beta version that fixes some of the other issues).

Alternatively try another free firewall. I've just switched to Sygate personal firewall (http://www.sygate.com), and I'm quite impressed.

Phil

Ken Veasey
2004-07-29, 06:49
Its worth reporting that I was having intermitent freezing of the
system (XP) which usually required a power off/on and additionally
the system would hang up for five minutes or so when I loaded it. I
followed Phil's advise and have regressed to 4.5 of Zone Alarm and so
far (tempting fate here) these problems seem to have gone away.


Ken

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:14:02 +0100, you wrote:

>>I have Zonealarm running as well but either on or off makes no difference to
>>the crashing.
>
>The latest version of ZoneAlarm (50.590.043 i think) has some really serious problems with it. I've been using and praising ZoneAlarm for years, but gave up with this release. It was using 100% CPU, causing random lockups, etc, for many people. There are problems using IE6 with it. Have a look in their forums.
>
>I believe one of the problems stems from doing an upgrade via the program - it doesn't uninstall the previous one fully, leaving some old OS hooks in place, and then installs different hooks for the new program.
>
>To fix the major problem, I believe you can do the following:
>
>1. You have to stop ZoneAlarm from loading at startup (option in the preferences page), then reboot.
>2. uninstall, reboot.
>3. Then install the previous version (4.5.something). reboot.
>4. Stop ZoneAlarm from loading at startup, then reboot.
>5. uninstall, reboot.
>
>Then try installing the new one (preferably the beta version that fixes some of the other issues).
>
>Alternatively try another free firewall. I've just switched to Sygate personal firewall (http://www.sygate.com), and I'm quite impressed.
>
>Phil
>
>
>