PDA

View Full Version : ReplayGain manual adjustment

Stan Pulsar
2009-11-22, 11:28
Hi there,

I have a couple of albums where the replaygain volume is a bit low...
(I use mp3gain to set it)

I decided to increase it by 1dB (track and album)

I changed the values of the ape tag containing the info, using mp3tag (also tried with winamp's tag editor)

But SqueezeboxServer (7.4.0) won't take these changes into account... it still shows (and uses) the initial values of the first mp3gain scan.

I tried to "look for new and changed files", then "erase db and rescan", with the same result...

Why is this happening ? What tag does SBServer read ?
If the whole db has been erased, where do these persistent values come from ?
And anyway, is this the good way to manually adjust replaygain values ?

Thanks a lot

Rick B.
2009-11-23, 05:34
You might want to try Foobar2000 to edit replaygain values. It's free.

ShadowWar
2009-11-24, 11:02
I've been wondering about asking this question for a while: is it possible to implement a ReplayGain offset value anywhere? All my tracks with ReplayGain are quite a lot quieter than those without. It would be great if it was possible to boost the volume level by a particular offset value of all tracks with ReplayGain, without having to manually change every single track's value in Foobar.

Stan Pulsar
2009-11-24, 11:19
Hi, and thanks for your answers.

ShadowWar, the ReplayGain played files are quiter to allow enough dynamics.
Generaly, players implementing ReplayGain (e.g. Winamp, ...) support proceed the other way, they apply a -6 dB gain to files without gain tags.

Rick, I didn't try Foobar recently, but when I once did I noticed that when I changed a single tag it messed up the others (I use characters with accents, and those didn't survive the process)

Anyway, as I say, I did change the values in the tags.
The problem was, SC didn't seem to heed these changes, and managed to find the original values... But where ?

Phil Leigh
2009-11-24, 11:34
I've been wondering about asking this question for a while: is it possible to implement a ReplayGain offset value anywhere? All my tracks with ReplayGain are quite a lot quieter than those without. It would be great if it was possible to boost the volume level by a particular offset value of all tracks with ReplayGain, without having to manually change every single track's value in Foobar.

But... using Replaygain only makes sense if ALL your files have it - otw the ones without will (almost) always sound louder!

Rick B.
2009-11-25, 06:19
[QUOTE=Stan Pulsar;488845]
Rick, I didn't try Foobar recently, but when I once did I noticed that when I changed a single tag it messed up the others (I use characters with accents, and those didn't survive the process)
QUOTE]

All I meant was to go to Foobar and select the song(s) that have a Replaygain value you want to edit. Right-click and you can then edit the Replaygain values without changing any other tags.

Stan Pulsar
2009-11-27, 14:46
OK, thanks Rick.
Actually, I'm really not comfortable with foobar.
I tried again, but that's not the point, because as I said, I did change the values...

I finally found out why SqueezeCenter was still seeing and applying the original value :

I modified the replaygain values in the ape tag.
But for this album, the values where also present in the ID3v2 tag, and this one (still unmodified) was read by SC.

So I removed these redundant infos.
I'm going to check my other files, and take some time to clean everything up, just in case...