PDA

View Full Version : Why were Playlists RUINED????

RichNY
2009-11-22, 07:26
Have had a duet for approx a year and have often had parties where I created playlists at last minute, used party list, etc. - and never had to strain my brain, lost instant playlists etc.
Now - I cant even figure out HOW to make a playlist. The directions, as such as they are are unclear
-How do you scroll to the end of a playlist in formation????
-Last nights party mix was ruined as a guest tried to add a song and wiped out the playlist. There were probably 2 possible duet buyers at my party and they werent impressed.
-Of course one of the reasons that partylist is iimportant is that many of us have big collections we're perenially cleaning tags for and therefore cant create long-term playlists as they break when you fix tags.

I would prefer to go back to 7.3 but cant figure out where to download this - appreciate help on download link.

garym
2009-11-22, 07:54
old versions:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

JJZolx
2009-11-22, 08:02
How is it that playlists break when you fix tags? I thought playlists were merely lists of file names. As long as the file path (file name and parent directory names) remain the same, the file should still be referenced correctly in the playlist.

aubuti
2009-11-22, 08:27
Have had a duet for approx a year and have often had parties where I created playlists at last minute, used party list, etc. - and never had to strain my brain, lost instant playlists etc.
Now - I cant even figure out HOW to make a playlist. The directions, as such as they are are unclear
-How do you scroll to the end of a playlist in formation????
-Last nights party mix was ruined as a guest tried to add a song and wiped out the playlist. There were probably 2 possible duet buyers at my party and they werent impressed.
-Of course one of the reasons that partylist is iimportant is that many of us have big collections we're perenially cleaning tags for and therefore cant create long-term playlists as they break when you fix tags.

I would prefer to go back to 7.3 but cant figure out where to download this - appreciate help on download link.
As Jim said, changing tags doesn't break playlists in any way. Moving your tracks or renaming folders or files will. And garym gave the info about where to download old versions of the software.

That leaves "how do you scroll to the end of a playlist in formation????", and I must admit I'm not sure what the question is. You want to see the last tracks in the playlist? If so, then on the SBC go to Now Playing, press the center button, and use the wheel to scroll to the end. If you mean you want to see track info, that has changed in 7.4.x. For that go to Now Playing, press the center button, scroll to the track for which you want info, press the + (more) key and there's lots of info.

If you didn't mean either of those and meant something else, please do tell.

Note that the beta "Party mode" that was introduced in 7.3 has been taken out of 7.4.x. Some of the actions conflicted with the new ui actions. So the developers are in the process of trying to figure out to get some of the same "party mode" functionality into the new ui -- there's a bug/enhancement request out there but I forget the number.

RichNY
2009-11-22, 09:31
How is it that playlists break when you fix tags? I thought playlists were merely lists of file names. As long as the file path (file name and parent directory names) remain the same, the file should still be referenced correctly in the playlist.

When I fix tags, often names of files change; albumartist_album_tracknum_title.

Found 7.34 and reinstalled.
I find the duet ui now; center button included, not as intuitive as 7.3.

Not trying to be a whiner here.....

aubuti
2009-11-22, 09:39
When I fix tags, often names of files change; albumartist_album_tracknum_title.
The filenames should only change when you *tell* the tagging program to change them, not automatically every time you change one of the relevant tags. That's the way most tagging programs do it.

I guess I can understand why someone might want to have the filenames always match the tags, but there is absolutely no requirement that they match. I don't understand why you choose to do it that way if it also causes you grief with your playlists (like apparently not saving a lot of your playlists?), but you must have some reasons that aren't apparent to me.

GeeJay
2009-11-22, 09:50
Note that the beta "Party mode" that was introduced in 7.3 has been taken out of 7.4.x. Some of the actions conflicted with the new ui actions. So the developers are in the process of trying to figure out to get some of the same "party mode" functionality into the new ui -- there's a bug/enhancement request out there but I forget the number.

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13689

Unfortunately, it doesn't have as high a priority as I'd like, but with only 4 votes so far I guess I understand why.

ITemplate
2009-11-25, 12:29
I'm a bit confused about these playlists. Is the entire playlist functionality removed? Using 7.4 I always have an empty screen in "Playlists" and I cannot add anything to it.

In short: My wife and I have diffent taste in music. So she would like a playlist or "favourite" list that she can shuffle from. Is that possible now?

spiccolli
2009-11-25, 14:10
In the Basic Settings tab of the squeezebox server settings web page, there is an entry for Playlist Folder.

Set this to a folder on your computer and this is where the squeezebox should save your playlists.

I did this to save a playlist:
set up playlist folder on server settings page
go to now playing
click center button
scroll to bottom
click save playlist
dial-in the name you want for the playlist

I tried adding my own .m3u file to the directory on my pc, but it does not show up in the playlists list on my SBC -
maybe the server needs restarted or database refreshed? - that would suck

ITemplate
2009-11-25, 14:31
In the Basic Settings tab of the squeezebox server settings web page, there is an entry for Playlist Folder.

Set this to a folder on your computer and this is where the squeezebox should save your playlists.

I did this to save a playlist:
set up playlist folder on server settings page
go to now playing
click center button
scroll to bottom
click save playlist
dial-in the name you want for the playlist

I tried adding my own .m3u file to the directory on my pc, but it does not show up in the playlists list on my SBC -

Thanks that worked. But how to add more music to that same playlist?
Edit: Apparantly you cant. Have to create new playlist.

But how to shuffle playlist?
Edit: I'll just keep editing myself here - shuffle is done by choosing Shuffle under settings and then play the playlist.

spiccolli
2009-11-25, 15:13
browse to what you would like to add
press +
press Add to End
press the Center button
scroll to the bottom
click Save Playlist
name the playlist with the same name

radish
2009-11-25, 16:02
Thanks that worked. But how to add more music to that same playlist?
Edit: Apparantly you cant. Have to create new playlist.

Load the playlist, add to it (or remove from it, whatever), resave.

But how to shuffle playlist?
Switch on shuffle mode, press play.

You need to rescan playlists, it's an option under settings and should be very fast.

RichNY
2009-11-27, 07:21
Isnt it a hint that the new process isnt user friendly that directions need to be posted to this forum?

aubuti
2009-11-27, 22:08
Isnt it a hint that the new process isnt user friendly that directions need to be posted to this forum?
...even when the instructions are being posted by other friendly users?

But seriously, it is a change in the interface and it takes a little getting used to. I don't particularly like it, but it isn't exactly difficult.

RichNY
2009-11-28, 08:28
I appreciate your helpp - but the bottom line is that in respect to party mode functionality the product has gone dramatically backward.