PDA

View Full Version : While waiting for Touch saw Pure Sensia

kantblue
2009-11-22, 03:43
Hi,

Was considering getting a Touch to add to my collection of SB3, Duet and Radio, when I saw this in a John Lewis store:

http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61294

and to be honest I was blown away by it, it seems to combine the best parts of the Touch and the Radio with a larger screen and for the same price!

I'm sticking with the logitech kit for now, but I'd be interested in any comments from existing Touch users?

I have noticed recently that John Lewis (UK) are now stocking a range of wireless streamers, this is where I saw the Pure Radio and they have the Sony and Philips ones in now, but they don't have ANY Logitech wireless stuff at all, though they used to sell the SB3. They do have other Logitech items, but no Duet, Boom, Radio or Touch - odd?

kantblue

andynormancx
2009-11-22, 03:50
I had a play with one in JL the other day. I have to say my first impressions of it were completely the opposite.

It was slow to respond to the touch screen. The touch screen appeared to be fairly inaccurate at working out where I had touched. And the UI was confusing and just plain odd.

I would have been good if JL had actually thought to connect it to a wifi network...

Lou1z
2009-11-22, 04:04
yuk.....
it's sooooo retro and wouldn't look out of date in a 60's modern home or in "lost in space"

kantblue
2009-11-22, 06:09
Hi andynormancx

Thats interesting, I did notice that the touchscreen was a bit non-responsive, certainly not in the ipod/itouch league. Thought it was probably just me. Do you have a Touch and if so what's your opinion of the touchscreen?

I didn't have a huge amount of time to play with it, but it actually struck me as a possible replacement for the radio - at least the battery pack is available for it, it looks as if the Squeezebox radio battery back won't be available until next year, which, for me rather defeated the object of purchasing one.

Lou1z, I'm not sure about the style either, I assume its because the 60's are in now, or is the 70's or the 80's or 90's I can't remember which is the new black at the moment!

kantblue

upstatemike
2009-11-22, 09:44
Wonder how the synchronization is when using multiple Sensia units?

Keymaster
2009-11-22, 11:06
Do you have a Touch and if so what's your opinion of the touchscreen?

I'm a beta tester. I find that the screen on the Touch echos my motions very well indeed. I'm quite pleased with its responsiveness :)

radish
2009-11-24, 10:55
It only talks to upnp servers, which is a big minus in my book. Also doesn't seem to support FLAC (or indeed any lossless encoding), and most importantly doesn't have any audio outputs other than headphones! Not even in the same league as the Touch, maybe suitable as a sub par Radio for twice the price ;)

kantblue
2009-11-24, 12:24
Hi radish

The lack of support for FLAC is a definite minus for me as is the lack of outputs (though I think the radio is the same).

I'm only vaguely familiar with upnp, can you explain the implications and why its a negative if you have time?

kantblue

socistep
2009-11-24, 16:32
I remember seeing this advertised and thought 'looks good and that will attract a lot of potential users but when you get into it its probably not up there with a Squeezebox'

Now that was a gut reaction from an advert :-)

eq72521
2009-11-24, 20:54
Hey now, I live in a Western U.S. mid-century modern house and the SB3 fits in perfectly. This thing would clash horribly. It looks like what some people *thought* the future would look like in 1965; thankfully that style never really became fashionable.

regalma1
2009-11-25, 15:39
It will never compete with the touch because it is designed only for listening through its own speakers. But it has one thing I believe should have been included in the Radio, ability to listen to broadcast music.

radish
2009-11-25, 16:18
Hi radish

The lack of support for FLAC is a definite minus for me as is the lack of outputs (though I think the radio is the same).

Indeed, which is why I suggested you compare it to a Radio, rather than a Touch. Alas, the price doesn't look very good when you look at it that way!

I'm only vaguely familiar with upnp, can you explain the implications and why its a negative if you have time?

Basically means it uses something like Twonky, or Windows Media Player as it's server software instead of SBS. That means no custom plugins, no sync between players, no web control, no iPeng (or anything similar) and so on. I've also never seen a upnp based player which can play gapless - which is a deal breaker for me.

upstatemike
2009-11-30, 22:31
Another interesting alternative is the touch screen based Raumfeld which is due out early next year. Lots of info at http://raumfeld.com/en/home/

andynormancx
2009-12-01, 00:44
Another interesting alternative is the touch screen based Raumfeld which is due out early next year. Lots of info at http://raumfeld.com/en/home/

glol !

How on earth are you supposed to operate that touch screen in portrait mode with that huge volume button in the way ? What an odd design.

fillmore
2009-12-06, 11:47
Hey now, I live in a Western U.S. mid-century modern house and the SB3 fits in perfectly. This thing would clash horribly. It looks like what some people *thought* the future would look like in 1965; thankfully that style never really became fashionable.
its retro space-age or googie mid-century modern.