PDA

View Full Version : control SB Touch wirelessly?

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-21, 11:59
Is it possible to control a Touch wirelessly? For example, if my notebook (which runs Ubuntu) is in the kitchen and connects to the network wirelessly, can it control the Touch in the next room?

Alternatively, is there any likelihood of an app like iPeng, but for the Blackberry?

I couldn't find anything on this issue using search, so I apologize if this has been discussed before...

Thanks.

SilverRS8
2009-11-21, 12:48
It will be not any different then how the other SBs are controlled; via SB server, the remote or the SBC and hence wireless.

aubuti
2009-11-21, 12:51
The SB Touch can be controlled by any capable device (eg, computer, PDA, etc.) on the network, just like any other SB since the original SliMP3. There could be an iPeng-like app for the Blackberry, but it would probably have to come from a 3rd party developer (just like iPeng). As a BB user I would like to see one, but I don't have the skills to write it. And I don't see nearly as big a market for it compared to iPeng. But one can hope.

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-21, 13:35
Thanks for the replies. I'm a complete newb to SB devices.

Can the Touch (or Duet) be accessed and controlled wirelessly by a computer using a browser interface?

I ask because it looks like there is a problem getting SqueezeBoxServer to function properly on the current version of Ubuntu (9.10, aka Karmic Koala).

Siduhe
2009-11-21, 13:52
Yes, there is a web interface element to Squeezeboxserver. You can access it on any networked browser using http://serveripaddresshere:9000.

However, you either need to have the software running to make your hardware player work including for local music, or connect your player to mysqueezebox.com which will allow you play internet radio and some music services like Pandora and Napster (depending on where you are located). There is a web interface for that too but it's much more limited than via the software.

bpa
2009-11-21, 14:03
Your comment about not being able to run SBS on Ubuntu is ambiguous - does it mean you will be relying on the server within Touch.

For clarity, there is no web interface on the SBS server within Touch. The web interface is only available if you run SBS on a PC or NAS.

usch
2009-11-21, 14:11
For clarity, there is no web interface on the SBS server within Touch. The web interface is only available if you run SBS on a PC or NAS.

Right. But you can install SqueezePlay on your computer and use that to control any player. It's essentially a Controller that runs on your PC.

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-21, 14:39
I think I've been unintentionally vague. Maybe I should explain what I hope to achieve.

If I buy a Touch, I plan to install it as follows:
1. Touch connected to 1TB external FAT32 drive via USB. Drive contains music files in FLAC format.
2. Touch connected to existing amplifier by coax or toslink.
3. Touch connected to router by ethernet cable. Router is garden-variety wifi. It's a happy accident that the router resides near the amp.

I'd like to then be able to control the Touch using a notebook computer in another room, which connects to the home network wirelessly. Said notebook uses Ubuntu 9.10 as OS.

I've downloaded and installed SqueezeBoxServer v7.4.1 on the notebook (from Logitech's website). I've read that there are some glitches right now where SBS 7.4.1 and Ubuntu 9.10 aren't getting along. There's no way to check to see if it would work properly absent a working SB device. Hence my trepidation/questions...

Sorry for my ambiguity. I very much appreciate all of the responses.

aubuti
2009-11-21, 14:54
That information helps understand your questions. There is still one important question, which bpa asked: do you plan to run the server software (Squeezebox Server, aka SBS) on the SB Touch or on a computer, such as your notebook?

If you plan to use the SBS on the SB Touch (aka TinySBS), then you cannot control it via a web browser, but you can control it via SqueezePlay (as noted by usch), which is other software that you can run on your notebook. If you intend to run SBS on the notebook, then you can control the SB Touch from any other computer on the network.

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-21, 15:11
That information helps understand your questions. There is still one important question, which bpa asked: do you plan to run the server software (Squeezebox Server, aka SBS) on the SB Touch or on a computer, such as your notebook?

If you plan to use the SBS on the SB Touch (aka TinySBS), then you cannot control it via a web browser, but you can control it via SqueezePlay (as noted by usch), which is other software that you can run on your notebook. If you intend to run SBS on the notebook, then you can control the SB Touch from any other computer on the network.

Ah... Now I get it.

I think I'd be better off with TinySBS on the Touch and SqueezePlay on the notebook. I'll try to compile it as was done here: http://www.jfwhome.com/2009/11/22/compiling-squeezeplay-on-linux-ubuntu-amd64/

aubuti
2009-11-21, 15:36
SqueezePlay is currently beta software. Moreover, at present there are no binaries distributed for Linux, so you'll have to compile it yourself. See this thread, especially the link in post #14, for more info: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70556

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-21, 16:36
SqueezePlay is currently beta software. Moreover, at present there are no binaries distributed for Linux, so you'll have to compile it yourself. See this thread, especially the link in post #14, for more info: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70556

Oops! I edited my post before your reply hit.

Trying to make it work. Oh well, guess I have some time before the Touch is even out anyway.

Thanks!

eq72521
2009-11-24, 20:59
I read somewhere on these forums it is possible, though not necessarily advisable, to enable the full web interface on the Tiny SB Server running on the touch. If one was willing to deal with whatever slowness and possible instability that may result from this, it could solve the OP's problem.

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-25, 11:05
I seem to have gotten SqueezePlay up and running.

I guess being confined to home with H1N1 has its merits.

Now I just need a Touch!

radish
2009-11-25, 17:32
And just to clarify on the Ubuntu 9.10/SBS 7.4.1 issues, I'm pretty sure they're fixed but if not, be confident they will be. Plenty of people around here run Ubuntu and it's one of the best supported platforms.

Skillet Liquor
2009-11-25, 19:12
And just to clarify on the Ubuntu 9.10/SBS 7.4.1 issues, I'm pretty sure they're fixed but if not, be confident they will be. Plenty of people around here run Ubuntu and it's one of the best supported platforms.

Glad to hear that. I really like Ubuntu. I'm a little disappointed in the Flash problem in 9.10, but I suspect a fix will be made before much longer.