PDA

View Full Version : Can I randomly play tracks by a single artist

damonator
2009-11-21, 09:42
Help Does anyone know if it is possible to play all tracks by a single artist? If so how? I only seem to be able to select individual albums or songs. So if I say want to play randomly through my entire collection of Rolling Stones albums, what do I do? I used to have a Logitech Wireless DJ which allowed this and have now upgraded to the Duet.

Siduhe
2009-11-21, 09:45
Using the Controller? Set Shuffle to On. Then go to My Music/Artists/Rolling Stones/All Songs and press play.

If you having problems getting a full album to play, check in the web interface that you have Settings/Player/Duet/Basic Settings set to "play other songs in album".

aubuti
2009-11-21, 09:48
I'm not at my SB right now, but what happens if you do the following:
1) turn on shuffle play
2) browse Artists, highlight Rolling Stones, and press the Play button

Unfortunately, shuffle play is hideously inefficient, so if you have a lot of Stones tracks it could take a while to assemble them randomly in the current playlist. But once the list is built you should be good to go. A better alternative is to use Erland's Dynamic Playlist and SQL Playlist plugins.

callesoroe
2009-11-23, 11:46
Help Does anyone know if it is possible to play all tracks by a single artist? If so how? I only seem to be able to select individual albums or songs. So if I say want to play randomly through my entire collection of Rolling Stones albums, what do I do? I used to have a Logitech Wireless DJ which allowed this and have now upgraded to the Duet.

Use the Dynamic Playlist plugin to do this. Here you can select "RANDOM for selected" and then "Random songs by artist" and then select Rollig Stones

InTheBath
2011-10-11, 09:52
Note also that there's no way to do this if you've populated the "composer" tag.
SB will play all tracks by "Rolling Stones" or that have "Rolling Stones" in the composer.
Bad example, and I think it's only me that harps on about this.

Back to sleep...

M.

JJZolx
2011-10-11, 10:00
Note also that there's no way to do this if you've populated the "composer" tag.
SB will play all tracks by "Rolling Stones" or that have "Rolling Stones" in the composer.
Bad example, and I think it's only me that harps on about this.

Is that true in all versions, or only 7.6? 7.6 introduced a large array of bugs that mix up the use of contributor roles. Is this one of them?

InTheBath
2011-10-15, 13:39
No, it's been the case for years.
If you can search for postings by me, there's probably one a month where I moan about how lovingly I kept my composer threads updated in my popular music, only to have to archive them off in order to be able to play everything under a single artist.

M.

(This post is number 236 in an ongoing series of whinges about something nobody else gives a stuff about...)