PDA

View Full Version : can TinySC give NAS-like access to USB drives connected to Touch?

michaelday
2009-11-19, 19:20
I donít know TinySc, and how powerful it is. Will TinySC provide NAS-like capabilities for the Touch? i.e. with Touch running in standalone mode - will it be possible to configure TinySC such that the files of a music library on a USB drive thatís connected to the Touch, be viewable and accessible from other PCs in the network?

[ more of my wishful thinking about the capabilities of the Touch ]

Iím asking if itíd be feasible from another PC in the network, to maintain the music library files that are resident on a USB drive thatís connected to the Touch? Ideally for example, would it be possible with TinySC to have iTunes configured so that the setting of its music library location is set to be on a shared USB drive thatís currently connected to the Touch, and then Ö have the convenience to rip music with iTunes, and have iTunes be able to write the music files directly onto the USB drive while its attached to the Touch. Am I dreaming?

Or, will the music library need to be maintained externally from the Touch? i.e. with Touch running in standalone mode - Any time that you want to add (or remove) music in your library - the USB drive will need to be disconnected each time from the Touch, and then connected to a PC (running whatever software like iTunes) to be able to add / change / delete any of the music library files.

I apologize if this question has already been asked.

Cheers!
Mike

snarlydwarf
2009-11-19, 19:52
The Touch can export an attached drive via Samba, aka SMB, aka 'Windows File Sharing'..

So, yeah, I think the expected usage of TinySC is to have an attached USB drive that is updated acorss the network. (Ie, rep/encode/tag on your regular machine, then copy it to the Touch.)

michaelday
2009-11-19, 20:14
Thank you Sir! I like this!

Would you think there'd be enough horsepower, throughput, etc. with this file sharing, so that this Touch attached drive would be able to host the music library for iTunes that's running on another machine, over the network?

If not, I still love this capability just to be able to network copy files over to the drive that's attached to the Touch.

Mike

snarlydwarf
2009-11-19, 20:17
Thank you Sir! I like this!

Would you think there'd be enough horsepower, throughput, etc. with this file sharing, so that this Touch attached drive would be able to host the music library for iTunes that's running on another machine, over the network?

If not, I still love this capability just to be able to network copy files over to the drive that's attached to the Touch.

Possibly, but I'd rather have two (or more) copies of the library.

Keeping one on the PC since you need the pc for iTunes anyway isn't a bad idea.

michaelday
2009-11-19, 20:30
Thanks, yes that makes good sense
That'd be the safest, fastest, and best way of maintaining the music library on the Touch attached USB drive.
I hope Logitech will make some simple good instructions for the Touch on how to do this stuff, that John Q Public can follow OK