PDA

View Full Version : Touch and Spotify and soundquality

Toffen
2009-11-19, 15:11
Hi!

I hope you all are well.

I am looking at various options streaming low and high rez files from the net. One is to use my laptop and connect it to a firewire interface and my Burmester 061 DAC (Rca). Another option is to build a dedicated pc with a good soundcard, and connect it to my 061 DAC.

However, the Squeezebox Touch looks very interesting. I presume its straightforward to connect it to my DAC with RCA (Spdif) digital input? How is the jitter level of the Touch? Anyone know about the quality of the digital out?

I plan to stream Spotify most of the time. Is this possible? As subscriber, the speed will be 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis. How will the Touch set up work out compared to the laptop / pc option?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheeers and thanks!

ToffenGunnufsen
Lillesand
Norway

Phil Leigh
2009-11-19, 15:58
Hi!

I hope you all are well.

I am looking at various options streaming low and high rez files from the net. One is to use my laptop and connect it to a firewire interface and my Burmester 061 DAC (Rca). Another option is to build a dedicated pc with a good soundcard, and connect it to my 061 DAC.

However, the Squeezebox Touch looks very interesting. I presume its straightforward to connect it to my DAC with RCA (Spdif) digital input? How is the jitter level of the Touch? Anyone know about the quality of the digital out?

I plan to stream Spotify most of the time. Is this possible? As subscriber, the speed will be 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis. How will the Touch set up work out compared to the laptop / pc option?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheeers and thanks!

ToffenGunnufsen
Lillesand
Norway

The Touch spdif output is... superb.

erland
2009-11-19, 23:32

You can do it by installing DSBridge on the PC where you run Spotify and connect the Touch to DSBridge.
The result is:
- You connect to DSBridge through a Favorite on the Touch
- Music is played on the Touch (and PC unless you turn the PC volume down)
- You will get artist/album information on the Touch, including cover art
- Start/stop streaming from DSBridge (You will need to also hit play on the PC to start streaming from Spotify)

You will need to use Spotify on the PC to:
- Browse Spotify library
- Change song or forward/reverse inside the currently playing song
- Start/stop streaming from Spotify (You will need to also hit play on the Touch to start playing)

It's not an optimal solution but it works fairly good if you are just looking for a way to output the sound and now playing information through the Touch instead of through the laptop speakers (which usually are pretty bad).

I'm personally running this setup but I run DSBridge+Spotify on a server and use a laptop for control by connecting to the server through remote desktop. The advantage of having Spotify on the server if you use a laptop is that you will decrease the load of the wireless network a bit.

If you want native support without the need for the PC, vote on this enhancement request:
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11686

nicoleif
2009-11-25, 07:12
erland - you write that you run DSBridge+Spotify on a server! Is ti possible to install DSBridge+Spotify on a nas server (eg. qnap)?

You can do it by installing DSBridge on the PC where you run Spotify and connect the Touch to DSBridge.
The result is:
- You connect to DSBridge through a Favorite on the Touch
- Music is played on the Touch (and PC unless you turn the PC volume down)
- You will get artist/album information on the Touch, including cover art
- Start/stop streaming from DSBridge (You will need to also hit play on the PC to start streaming from Spotify)

You will need to use Spotify on the PC to:
- Browse Spotify library
- Change song or forward/reverse inside the currently playing song
- Start/stop streaming from Spotify (You will need to also hit play on the Touch to start playing)

It's not an optimal solution but it works fairly good if you are just looking for a way to output the sound and now playing information through the Touch instead of through the laptop speakers (which usually are pretty bad).

I'm personally running this setup but I run DSBridge+Spotify on a server and use a laptop for control by connecting to the server through remote desktop. The advantage of having Spotify on the server if you use a laptop is that you will decrease the load of the wireless network a bit.

If you want native support without the need for the PC, vote on this enhancement request:
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11686

erland
2009-11-25, 10:39
erland - you write that you run DSBridge+Spotify on a server! Is ti possible to install DSBridge+Spotify on a nas server (eg. qnap)?

I think it has to be a Windows machine, I'm guessing a Windows Home Server based NAS might work but I've personally only tested it on a Windows XP based server running inside a virtualbox virtual machine.