PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble w/ install on a Mac G3.



Joshua Wachs
2004-07-22, 08:51
I got an old Mac G3 from a friend and am planning on using it as my
music server.

I installed the latest SlimServer (5.2.1) on it (Running OS X 10.3.4)
and can't get it to run.

The installer runs fine but afterwards, I click on the <Start Server>
button but I can't get any web access to work - nor will the <Web
Access> button become enabled.

I also just try to go to the computers address w/ :9000 appended and
it's not there either.

My web server is running and the SlimServer software runs fine on my other Mac.

Any ideas?

kdf
2004-07-22, 09:18
try creating ~/Library/Logs as per this:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=449

if so, you can try one of teh nightly releases:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/

the problem should be fixed in those builds.
-kdf

Quoting Joshua Wachs <schwachs (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:

> I got an old Mac G3 from a friend and am planning on using it as my
> music server.
>
> I installed the latest SlimServer (5.2.1) on it (Running OS X 10.3.4)
> and can't get it to run.
>
> The installer runs fine but afterwards, I click on the <Start Server>
> button but I can't get any web access to work - nor will the <Web
> Access> button become enabled.
>
> I also just try to go to the computers address w/ :9000 appended and
> it's not there either.
>
> My web server is running and the SlimServer software runs fine on my other
> Mac.
>
> Any ideas?
>

Peter Speck
2004-07-22, 09:23
On 22/7-2004, at 17:51, Joshua Wachs wrote:

> I got an old Mac G3 from a friend and am planning on using it as my
> music server.
>
> I installed the latest SlimServer (5.2.1) on it (Running OS X 10.3.4)
> and can't get it to run.
>
> The installer runs fine but afterwards, I click on the <Start Server>
> button but I can't get any web access to work - nor will the <Web
> Access> button become enabled.
>
> I also just try to go to the computers address w/ :9000 appended and
> it's not there either.
>
> My web server is running and the SlimServer software runs fine on my
> other Mac.
>
> Any ideas?

In the Finder, choose "Go to Folder" from the Go menu, and type "/tmp"
Open the "slimerror.log" file using TextEdit.

----
- Peter Speck

"Not knowing is much more interesting than
believing an answer which might be wrong."
- Richard Feynman

Peter Speck
2004-07-22, 09:27
> Any ideas?
[...]
> In the Finder, choose "Go to Folder" from the Go menu, and type "/tmp"

I forgot: the newer server versions store the slimerror.log in
"~/Library/Logs/"

Open the "slimerror.log" file using TextEdit.

----
- Peter Speck

"Not knowing is much more interesting than
believing an answer which might be wrong."
- Richard Feynman

Joshua Wachs
2004-07-22, 13:26
thanks. worked great!



On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:18:19 -0700, kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> try creating ~/Library/Logs as per this:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=449
>
> if so, you can try one of teh nightly releases:
> http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/
>
> the problem should be fixed in those builds.
> -kdf
>
>
>
> Quoting Joshua Wachs <schwachs (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:
>
> > I got an old Mac G3 from a friend and am planning on using it as my
> > music server.
> >
> > I installed the latest SlimServer (5.2.1) on it (Running OS X 10.3.4)
> > and can't get it to run.
> >
> > The installer runs fine but afterwards, I click on the <Start Server>
> > button but I can't get any web access to work - nor will the <Web
> > Access> button become enabled.
> >
> > I also just try to go to the computers address w/ :9000 appended and
> > it's not there either.
> >
> > My web server is running and the SlimServer software runs fine on my other
> > Mac.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
>
> >