PDA

View Full Version : Seriously p*****d off! (rant)

benhaines
2009-11-15, 08:35
Dear SlimDevices/Logitech,

Please stop changing the bloody software! I have been using your products for 6 years now and am getting to the point of giving up!

Unless you are an uber-geek, each controller update takes a good 15 minutes to work out. My partner now simply unplugs the Receiver and plugs in her iPod because "it is [squeezebox] too complicated and rarely works!".

Today I found another update which has completely changed the menu items around. WTF is an App? Where is my Last.fm service gone? How do I connect to the squeezenetwork? Why when I attempt to install an App using the "Applet Installer" does the receiver never get beyond the "Fetching Applet List" stage... seriously, and this coming from a geek. Give me something user friendly that works.

Rant over.

Yours sincerely, Ben

exile
2009-11-15, 08:53
while your approach is a bit too direct, you have a valid point.

I too am a long time user of the product and I completely agree. The engineers at Logitech need to be put under control. squeeze server has become way too bloated and the fact that the entire menu structure has gotten rebuilt is pretty near insane.

I would think the goal is to maximize sales and not to cater solely to techno geeks. I just hope at some point things can be redirected back to simplicity and ease of use.

jmpage2
2009-11-15, 09:05
Dear SlimDevices/Logitech,

Please stop changing the bloody software! I have been using your products for 6 years now and am getting to the point of giving up!

Unless you are an uber-geek, each controller update takes a good 15 minutes to work out. My partner now simply unplugs the Receiver and plugs in her iPod because "it is [squeezebox] too complicated and rarely works!".

Today I found another update which has completely changed the menu items around. WTF is an App? Where is my Last.fm service gone? How do I connect to the squeezenetwork? Why when I attempt to install an App using the "Applet Installer" does the receiver never get beyond the "Fetching Applet List" stage... seriously, and this coming from a geek. Give me something user friendly that works.

Rant over.

Yours sincerely, Ben

Is someone forcing you to upgrade? I used a V1 and V2 Squeezebox for over three years without ever once upgrading the software. It worked great. I only needed to update the software when I bought a new Squeezebox Radio because it is only supported by the new stuff.

mlsstl
2009-11-15, 10:16
I don't think 15 minutes to work out a major software upgrade sounds unreasonable.

The only time I'm bothered by changes are when they seem gratuitously unnecessary or pointless.

Of course, sometimes companies do an extraordinarily poor job of explaining the underlying reason for a change, or hide the explanation in small-print footnotes.

I'll have to agree the new "Apps" menu items complicated things (especially for people whose primary interest is just playing music) but with a little work I just got the Apps Gallery and Installer off the main menu.

However, the switch between server hosted music and internet radio is now better, IMO.

The 7.4 upgrade went pretty smoothly for me. The Controller seemed to pick up the change without issue.

I actually had a far bigger problem when I moved from the version 6 server software to the first 7. There was a cache that needed clearing before the new software would run right. However, I'm a Linux user and just kind of used to the install and upgrade process never being quite as smooth as the more automated Windows and Mac process.

However, I'll agree that Logitech needs to continue working toward making their products friendlier for the non-geek consumer.

GeeJay
2009-11-15, 12:23
However, I'll agree that Logitech needs to continue working toward making their products friendlier for the non-geek consumer.

I think that is what they are trying to do, particularly with respect to changing the UI to become more "Apple-like". My teenage daughter likes it much better, and is more apt to pick up the Controller and using it.

BTW, my upgrade to 7.4 went without a hitch (a Duet and 3 SB3s), and I'm no techno-geek.

brucegrr
2009-11-15, 13:07
Rarely does a major software upgrade go perfectly. If it does thank whoever you do your thanking to.

Personally, I like the changes in 7.4.x

However, I do think the whole mysqueezebox.com,apps. my apps, etc is confusing and takes some getting used to. (at least 15 minutes) :)

hoiho
2009-11-18, 13:23
The worst thing is the presence of both plugins and apps to do the same thing - like LastFM. And the fact that you have to go to a web site to set them up. It's a confusing, undocumented, mess. Maybe it will get cleaned up soon. I certainly hope so.

Personally, I don't see much value in any of the apps over plugins, but I suppose "apps" are just the flavour of the month, tho', like pointless little touch screens .

86atc250r
2009-11-18, 22:59
If you don't like change, then don't change stuff (i.e. install new software).

Personally, 7.4 went very smoothly for me. While I may not care too much for the "my" names -- the "my apps" folder structure is VASTLY superior to the old way that hid shoutcast three selections deep and the seemingly redundant menu areas. Now, all the services I use are in one spot and are one menu level away from home -- Excellent! It took me about 30 sec to figure out what "My Apps" was for - didn't seem all that complicated.

Seems much easier for a new (and experienced) user to find what they are looking for more quickly and with less frustration. In fact, "internet radio" could probably be grouped successfully under "my apps" to further clean up the home menu.

FWIW, I started with my slim devices a couple years ago. The software's functionality and features are much better than they were when I started. I don't feel at all that it's become bloated - in fact, the restructuring of the menu system eliminated "bloat" if anything.

I don't like change for the sake of change and I don't personally think that's what's going on here. I can see clear reasons for many of the changes in the new software and after just a minor amount of getting used to, the system is as much a pleasure to use as ever.

Perhaps we should have two software releases --- one stupid simple that rarely changes and has only a few commonly used features - for Joe Sixpack. The other as it is today for those of us who can appreciate the features, flexibility, and power of the current system, without getting confused or frustrated by it.

wduncan
2009-11-19, 06:58
There is no choice. You're using your squeezebox or transporter and are required to upgrade before connecting to your server or to a music service. It happens virtually every time you use the system.

Are people saying there's some way around this?

maggior
2009-11-19, 07:05
This must depend on what version you are on. I'm running 7.3.3 and I'm not forced to upgrade when I access Pandora or Slacker. Fortunately the later releases support using these services without switching your server to squeezenetwork (or whatever it is called these days). If you do that, then yes, it will force you to upgrade to use the services.

funkstar
2009-11-19, 08:20
There is no choice. You're using your squeezebox or transporter and are required to upgrade before connecting to your server or to a music service. It happens virtually every time you use the system.

See my post in your own thread.

toby10
2009-11-19, 09:01

You do have a choice. :)

The problem is that your local SB server is a different FW version than the MySB.com online server, so every time you switch between them your players are "updating".

Choices:
1. Keep updating your local SB server when this happens, then the two servers will be the same FW version.
2. Don't connect your players directly to MySB.com, just use your local SB server for all Internet Radio & Music Services, no updates needed.
3. Continue to switch between your local SB server and MySB.com and update the player each time, as you are doing now.
4. Turn off Automatic Updates (not available on all SB players). Some of the SB players can be set to ignore FW updates when switching between the two servers, like the SB3. Dunno about the other players.

erland
2009-11-19, 09:34
The worst thing is the presence of both plugins and apps to do the same thing - like LastFM. And the fact that you have to go to a web site to set them up. It's a confusing, undocumented, mess. Maybe it will get cleaned up soon. I certainly hope so.

Personally, I don't see much value in any of the apps over plugins, but I suppose "apps" are just the flavour of the month, tho', like pointless little touch screens .

As I've understood the plan is that everything is going to be apps, the 7.4 released was rushed a bit because the Radio hardware required it, the same thing will probably happen soon with the 7.5 release which is required for the Touch hardware. However, after that I hope Logitech takes some time to consolidate things to avoid further confusion. After the consolidation, you will just have the App Gallery that contains both music services provided by Logitech and third party plugins and applets provided by third party developers.

Zten
2009-11-19, 12:49
Erland,
Are you saying 7.4.1 is not ready for the SB Touch?
Rob

Kyle
2009-11-19, 12:58
I'm still using 6.3 and doing just fine. The 6.5 release killed a feature that allowed my whole-house system to start playing when I turned it on from anywhere in the house, so I'm stuck in the past, but it's really not a problem. I just wish I could use iPeng.

erland
2009-11-19, 13:00
Erland,
Are you saying 7.4.1 is not ready for the SB Touch?

I'm not completely sure, I think it still works towards 7.4.1 but the beta testers has been recommended to use 7.5 during beta testing.

aubuti
2009-11-20, 10:12
I'm not completely sure, I think it still works towards 7.4.1 but the beta testers has been recommended to use 7.5 during beta testing.
The SBT works with 7.4.1, but it doesn't have the full feature set. For example, I'm pretty sure that the SBT's "TinySC" (the on-board SBS) does not work with 7.4.x. There will definitely be a new SBS released when the SBT is released.

Zten
2009-11-20, 12:54
Ahhh. Glad I checked back. I hate doing these upgrades (I rememember lots of pain from years ago) so I think I'll wait to upgrade unitl the commercial version of 7.5 is available.

gharris999
2009-11-20, 14:23
As I've understood the plan is that everything is going to be apps, the 7.4 released was rushed a bit because the Radio hardware required it, the same thing will probably happen soon with the 7.5 release which is required for the Touch hardware. However, after that I hope Logitech takes some time to consolidate things to avoid further confusion. After the consolidation, you will just have the App Gallery that contains both music services provided by Logitech and third party plugins and applets provided by third party developers.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you here. Are you saying that the 'extras' menu on the players' UI is going away?

erland
2009-11-21, 23:58
I'm not sure I'm understanding you here. Are you saying that the 'extras' menu on the players' UI is going away?

I've no idea, but as I've understood everything will be "Applications" in the future. I suspect we are still going to be able to place applications in various places of the menu structure, like "Extras" or "My Music", because only showing installed applications under "My Apps" will be pretty useless.

toby10
2009-11-22, 06:38
I've no idea, but as I've understood everything will be "Applications" in the future. I suspect we are still going to be able to place applications in various places of the menu structure, like "Extras" or "My Music", because only showing installed applications under "My Apps" will be pretty useless.

And very confusing if both plugins and Apps were both under My Apps.
Let's hope they leave Extras (or some variant of it) alone! :)