PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this device will be replaced soon?

hungarianhc
2009-11-14, 19:38
I'm interested in getting a Squeezebox Boom. I have the radio right now, and I LOVE it. I'd like to move the radio into my bedroom, and put a boom in the living room. My only issue is that with the nice display on the radio, a cheaper device than the boom, I have to think that Logitech will update the Boom in the near future to also have a color screen and support the widget functionality. What do you think?

funkstar
2009-11-14, 20:56
Yes it probably will get replaced. As to when, that's anybody's guess.

There are just too many advantages to the new hardware platform for the not to be a Boom MK2 at some point. Me feeling is that a Boom MK2 would be more like the up coming Touch with speakers, rather than a larger radio. With two speakers a battery option would probably be out of the window, so they may as well have the large screen, faster processor and USB port from the Touch. Making it a truly stand along product.

This is just my opinion though, I have no inside knowledge :)

pfarrell
2009-11-14, 21:10
hungarianhc wrote:
> I have to think that Logitech will update the Boom in the near future to also have a color screen and
> support the widget functionality. What do you think?

I know that Logitech continues the long standing SlimDevices tradition
of never talking about future products. Period.

Additionally, I have no inside knowledge.

But it doesn't take very good eyesight at the tea leaves to see an
improved Boom in the future. What is not at all clear is what you mean
by "soon" and when the future will clear up in the old crystal ball.

My guess is that there will be no replacement Boom before next Summer,
and more realistically, the earliest that one could dream to see such a
thing would be for next Christmas selling season. I would not make a bet
on this happening, but I see ever higher probabilities as we move to
Christmas 2011, and 2012.

Which is only a slightly bit sooner than when the Sun will go cold.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JJZolx
2009-11-14, 21:45
That's a good question. The thing that makes Boom unattractive to Logitech is the older technologies of the ip3k processor and the VFD display, which will make maintenance of the software something of a drag on resources as all new programming will be for the new OS/CPU platform and LCD displays.

Personally, I don't think it will be 'soon'. With the SB3 (aka 'Classic') only being discontinued now, maintenance of that family of code will certainly continue for the foreseeable future, even if nothing really new is added. That means keeping the Boom on the books as an active product will be relatively cheap.

A more interesting question (to me, anyway) is when it does go, whether it will be replaced by a similar large stereo desktop system or simply be discontinued in favor of the Radio. If the Radio is the least bit successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Boom just go away. A revamped boom with LCD display could compete pretty stiffly with the Radio for both shelf space at retailers and overall sales.

snarlydwarf
2009-11-14, 23:39
That's a good question. The thing that makes Boom unattractive to Logitech is the older technologies of the ip3k processor and the VFD display, which will make maintenance of the software something of a drag on resources as all new programming will be for the new OS/CPU platform and LCD displays.

It is an interesting question...

Add in the stability and what appears to be (without seeing sales figures) a very successful product, I can see a "it's not broke, let's not fix it" mood as well.

So, yeah, it is probably not 'hard' to make a boom with a radio core.. but.. then... why mess with what seems to be a solid product?

At some point it'll certainly happen, but I can see why it wouldn't be a huge rush.

Goodsounds
2009-11-15, 00:24
A posting in another sub-forum earlier this week described a reduction of QA headcount and implied a reduction of dedicated software and hardware personnel resources as a result of an internal reorg a few weeks ago. It's an interesting development and maybe there's more to the story? Or maybe not.

The company has an unreleased new product that missed the Christmas sales window. I'm sure management was not happy with that. They also seem to have not yet fully remedied all the issues that led to customer dissatisfaction with the recent new software versions. All in all, it wouldn't seem to be a good time to reduce resources.

These signs don't point to increased investment in new products and new versions of old products. But, it's all speculation, by me and by others.

pic
2009-11-15, 03:28
[...]
Personally, I don't think it will be 'soon'. With the SB3 (aka 'Classic') only being discontinued now, maintenance of that family of code will certainly continue for the foreseeable future, even if nothing really new is added. That means keeping the Boom on the books as an active product will be relatively cheap.
[...]

Very simple question directed to people knowing Slimedevices/Logitech better than me. Do they continue to support discontinued products ? How long ?
Few days ago I bought Boom, I am very, very happy of it and I would like to continue to use it forever :-))
I intended maintenance of firmware and above all, compatibility of Boom with next version of MySB.com and SB Server.

funkstar
2009-11-15, 04:46
Very simple question directed to people knowing Slimedevices/Logitech better than me. Do they continue to support discontinued products ? How long ?
Few days ago I bought Boom, I am very, very happy of it and I would like to continue to use it forever :-))
I intended maintenance of firmware and above all, compatibility of Boom with next version of MySB.com and SB Server.
Well, all previous versions of the hardware players still work with the latest server software, although they don't get updated now.

The SB2 is the same hardware as the SB3, so that has had active support for a long time since being replaced. I can't remember when support stopped for the SB1 when the SB2 was released. But then the number of IP3K based players (SB2, SB3, Receiver, Transporter and Boom) out there would probably warrant a certain amount of support for some time after the last of them is replaced. As they share a lot of the same software, even if there is a single IP3K based player in the line up, they are all likely to benefit from new firmwares.

mherger
2009-11-15, 05:44
> Do they continue to support discontinued products ?

I have my 6 year old SliMP3 right next to me, sometimes sync it up to the Transporter using the Controller.

eganders
2009-11-15, 08:55
In addition to the above, wireless N is finally a ratified spec, so I'd expect to see that change as well.

Obviously, from an aural perspective, replacement of the Boom is not necessary. Nonetheless, I expect Logitech will release a new model this coming year to avoid a sales decline in the Boom's target market.

Why - the VFD display (no TFT), wireless G (No wireless N) and "the new model coming" mentality will collectively conspire to destroy the Boom's holiday sales next year.

Now, whether Logitech will opt to replace the Boom, or simply come out with an additional model in this target area - that's the real question. I personally think the Boom is a very elegant piece. Take the wireless to "N", and I don't see needing a replacement. But, there are definitely some out there who would want a TFT.

iPhone
2009-11-15, 13:02
In addition to the above, wireless N is finally a ratified spec, so I'd expect to see that change as well.

Obviously, from an aural perspective, replacement of the Boom is not necessary. Nonetheless, I expect Logitech will release a new model this coming year to avoid a sales decline in the Boom's target market.

Why - the VFD display (no TFT), wireless G (No wireless N) and "the new model coming" mentality will collectively conspire to destroy the Boom's holiday sales next year.

Now, whether Logitech will opt to replace the Boom, or simply come out with an additional model in this target area - that's the real question. I personally think the Boom is a very elegant piece. Take the wireless to "N", and I don't see needing a replacement. But, there are definitely some out there who would want a TFT.

What is the big deal with "N" other then it is new? "N" is not needed for what Squeezebox is currently doing and until "N" is cheaper then "G" or just the best part BOM wise, I just don't see any move to "N" any time soon. But of course that is my opinion and I am not the one manufacturing Squeezeboxes.

ajkidle
2009-11-18, 09:26
I'm sure some will argue the virtues of an "N-only" network, as has been hashed out countless times on these forums, but in my view a wireless-N Squeezebox is analogous to 1080P on a 42" TV. Total waste. It would be nothing but a marketing tool for Squeezebox, which is not to say it would be without value. For the same reasons that 1080P 42" TVs exist: to the average consumer reading the Best Buy flyer, more is better and newer is better.

As an owner of both a Boom and a Radio, I would be sad to see the Boom discontinued and "replaced" by the Radio. The Radio is great for what it is, but the sonics of the Boom are materially superior.

DaveWr
2009-11-18, 09:42
I don't agree. The ability to move to the 5GHz spectrum would be a major advantage - less crowded, and no microwave oven interference. Many people suffer with their current wireless setups predictability. Just my opinion.

Dave

eganders
2009-11-18, 11:25
I don't agree. The ability to move to the 5GHz spectrum would be a major advantage - less crowded, and no microwave oven interference. Many people suffer with their current wireless setups predictability.

I think the multiple antennas plus MIMO and the algorithms that go with it, will bring the largest "N" gains simply because that's the specific feature that will deliver more signal, more reliably, to Squeeze products using wireless - particularly those on the margins. Still, congested bandwidth is a major issue for some. A second available band to work with will certainly help too.

Some users unfortunately suffer from lousy WAP and Wireless Router products, some due to (ultimately antenna) siting and placement of Squeeze products and WAP's and Routers, plus building materials, etc., and some is due to Logitech's expectations and the reality of end user understanding and knowledge of the preceding and willingness to work on it.

Regardless of the reason, it's clear that Wireless N should bring benefits to some those who suffer the effects of poor signals and related processing while increasing their wireless network's capacity to move data.

From the marketing angle, new sells. Old sit's on the shelf. Also, I doubt that the price difference between G and N will be that great. N products have been out there for quite some time, and production of G chips has to be plummeting.

signor_rossi
2009-11-18, 11:53
I'm sure some will argue the virtues of an "N-only" network, as has been hashed out countless times on these forums, but in my view a wireless-N Squeezebox is analogous to 1080P on a 42" TV. Total waste. It would be nothing but a marketing tool for Squeezebox, which is not to say it would be without value. For the same reasons that 1080P 42" TVs exist: to the average consumer reading the Best Buy flyer, more is better and newer is better.

As an owner of both a Boom and a Radio, I would be sad to see the Boom discontinued and "replaced" by the Radio. The Radio is great for what it is, but the sonics of the Boom are materially superior.

What's wrong with 1080P on a 42" TV? I am asking as Joe Average... :)

radish
2009-11-18, 12:04
What's wrong with 1080P on a 42" TV? I am asking as Joe Average... :)

You'd have to sit no more than about 6 feet away from it to see the difference between that and 720p, most people don't sit that close, and most people don't have perfect eyes!

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

pski
2009-11-18, 15:46
An "N" Boom would be nice.

I think most people using B/G would benefit almost as much (given a "G" network) if they TURN-OFF the "B" radio...

I got a real range boost.

P