PDA

View Full Version : Information overload problem

luuk
2009-11-13, 05:23
Dear all,

I hadn't consulted this website for a few months and recently updated to the latest SqueezeCenter (after a new Vista install). I was used to running SoftSqueeze and remembered I could install it straight from SqueezeCenter. However, I could not find info on this in SC anywhere. So I searched this forum ... HUGE problem. Entering Softsqueeze gives a vast number of hits with the top threads running for many pages and apparently not dealing with Softsqueeze at all. I just don't have the time to go though all of them!! I did discover that SoftSqueeze has now apparently been replaced by SqueezePlay and consulted the WiKi. The download given, however, is the SC download. I have now gone full circle. SqueezePlay is apparently integrated in SC but SC doesn't reveal this secret. The help option is no help either since it just sends me to the general Logitech web pages. This site is no good either since a search for SqueezePlay gives me a vast number of hits in threads that aren't devoted to it at all.

Sorry, but that is not the way to get people to use something that is new. I am desperate and quite annoyed that there is no way of getting quick info on a basic question ... how do I play music on my PC using SC? If SqueezePlay is indeed integrated in SC it is ridiculous that it doesn't show up somewhere obvious like the Home menu.

bpa
2009-11-13, 05:36
I think if you look at the bottom of the SC download page - there are separate downloads for Squeezeplay ( http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.4 )

luuk
2009-11-13, 06:24
Thanks that helps. But ... this option is NOT offered on the Logitech download page for SC, which means that users are dependent on the user forum and people like you to volunteer this info. This forum ought to find a way to address such questions on the forum and SC should address them directly in the program.

aubuti
2009-11-13, 07:13
Thanks that helps. But ... this option is NOT offered on the Logitech download page for SC, which means that users are dependent on the user forum and people like you to volunteer this info. This forum ought to find a way to address such questions on the forum and SC should address them directly in the program.
That's probably because SqueezePlay is still beta software, and as far as I can see they've moved all the beta software off of the Logitech download page. May have something to do with so many cases of people who unknowingly/uncautiously install beta SBS or other software and then complain ad nauseum when it doesn't work right.

aubuti
2009-11-13, 07:39
Also, if you want to go back to SoftSqueeze, see this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62060

jrichardson
2009-11-13, 08:11
Luuk -- Aubuti is 100% correct

SoftSqueeze is no longer supported by Logitech or Squeezebox Server, there for it has been removed from the application. If you still see links to it, please let me know so I can have them removed.

Please follow the link Aubuti provided to the Community Supported version of SoftSqueeze if you wish to use that plug-in.

-------------------------

SqueezePlay Desktop Player (that's the full name) will eventually be it's replacement. It's in BETA currently, and can NOT be listed on the 'official' Logitech download site. You would have to go to the BETA software download site.

luuk
2009-11-13, 13:15
Thanks everyone. I have switched to SqueezePlay (although so far I have not succeeded in getting it to synchronize with the SB; in fact, when I choose synchronize SP goes mute), but please do address the issue of my original mail. How are users who do not (habitually) follow the forum ever going to find out about SqueezePlay?

And more generally, even if they do use the forum, how can they find help without having to wade through vast numbers of pages?

radish
2009-11-13, 13:26
How are users who do not (habitually) follow the forum ever going to find out about SqueezePlay?

They'll find out about it when it's ready.

And more generally, even if they do use the forum, how can they find help without having to wade through vast numbers of pages?
That's what the wiki's for. If what you need isn't there, maybe consider writing it up to help the next person?

aubuti
2009-11-13, 14:03
Thanks everyone. I have switched to SqueezePlay (although so far I have not succeeded in getting it to synchronize with the SB; in fact, when I choose synchronize SP goes mute), but please do address the issue of my original mail. How are users who do not (habitually) follow the forum ever going to find out about SqueezePlay?

My opinion, as just another user, is that users will find out about SP when it is released, because then Logitech will make it easily accessible via the main download pages. Until then, I think it's safe to say that Logitech only wants the more interested users (who may frequent the forums) using SP. A main reason for having a public beta is to get bug reports from users "in the field". If the user doesn't come to the forums, he/she is unlikely to file bug reports. But they might try to contact support, which is not equipped to support beta products.

If you only search on one keyword (eg, SoftSqueeze) you're going to get tons of irrelevant results. If you do a better search -- eg, using both the words 'Squeezeplay' and 'download' -- you'll see something useful in the top few results, such as the thread 7.4 Desktop Squeezeplay builds with Radio/Touch/new Controller UI now available (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67760&highlight=squeezeplay+download).

Btw, while SP should not go silent when you try to sync with SB, you should be aware that sync with software players like SoftSqueeze and SP is not guaranteed. There are too many factors that SBS cannot control, like sound card drivers, for sync'ing of software players to be reliable. You might be lucky and get good sync with SP, but don't count on it.

luuk
2009-11-13, 14:54
Fair point about the beta stage, BUT the inbuilt (in SC) SoftSqueeze support should then not have been abandoned before SP is ready to go.

usch
2009-11-13, 15:13
In particular they should not explicitly advertise SoftSqueeze on their German site "Testen Sie eine Squeezebox oder einen Transporter mit Ihrem Computer - Holen Sie sich die Software" ("Test a Squeezebox or a Transporter with your computer - Get the software"), with a download link to SqueezeCenter 7.3.2 (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html?WT.ac=ps|4464), which immediately redirects to http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/support/download-squeezecenter.html where no player software can be found.

gcurrie
2009-11-13, 16:06
Fair point about the beta stage, BUT the inbuilt (in SC) SoftSqueeze support should then not have been abandoned before SP is ready to go.Why is that?

SoftSqueeze and SqueezePlay aren't products, per se. They are free software.

Why does a company need to support software that doesn't make them money?

SBS is free, BUT it is required for use of their Squeezebox products.

SqueezePlay is a nice add-on, but not required. In fact, from a business sense one could argue that it might hurt sales. I have 6 PCs with Squeezeplay - maybe I'd buy more Receivers if Squeezeplay didn't exist?

It's clear that Logitech SBU - like most companies today - are pretty resource-constrained and need to focus their attention on things that will strengthen their business. As much as I want them to fix and release Squeezeplay, I'd rather see them fix the remaining issues with SBS.

aubuti
2009-11-13, 16:23
Why is that?

SoftSqueeze and SqueezePlay aren't products, per se. They are free software.

Furthermore, SoftSqueeze isn't even Logitech software. It was written by Richard Titmuss back when he was just an SB user. Now that he's employed by Logitech to do much more mission-critical work, the community has picked up the ball for continued SoftSqueeze development. What obligation does Logitech have to make such 3rd party software an integral part of the SBS package? None that I can see.

Also, if I recall correctly, part of Logitech's "abandonment" of SoftSqueeze is that at some point the existing versions stopped working with newer versions of SC/SBS. They weren't going to hold up development of the server software to deal with a software player that they are sunsetting anyway. And it certainly wouldn't help anyone to package a SS that doesn't work.

usch
2009-11-13, 17:15

As long as they advertise it on their website as a free trial version of their $1999 commercial product, they'd better keep that download link working.

funkstar
2009-11-14, 04:00
As long as they advertise it on their website as a free trial version of their $1999 commercial product, they'd better keep that download link working.
Then rather than keeping the links active, they need to remove the reference altogether as jrichardson said yesterday.