PDA

View Full Version : Play audio CDs via USB on the Touch...

Hamnberj
2009-11-13, 04:27
Hi!

Is it possible to attach a USB-CD/DVD player to the Touch and play audio CDs?

We got a couple of hundred of cds not ripped yet and my wife wants to listen to them "the usual way" until they alll are ripped!

The idea is to use an old external USB2.0-CD/DVD drive attached to the USB port of the Touch.
Do the squeezebox read the filesystem (ISO 9660?)and play the audio?

/hambergj

bpa
2009-11-13, 04:39
It is not possible with the shipped Logitech.

Are you referring to audio cd (i.e. red book 16bit/44.1kHz) or a CD-rom (iso 9660) which have audio files (e.g. mp3, wma).

Hamnberj
2009-11-13, 05:03
Hi again...

I do mean audio cd (i.e. red book 16bit/44.1kHz)!

Sorry about the mess about ISO9660!

/J

bpa
2009-11-13, 05:33
I have a plugin CDplayer which plays audio cd's on PC's through SBS. To make it work on Touch would require porting the audio cd playing application icedax/cdda2wav. I have plugged a USB cd drive into Touch and there is some recognition of it as a USB drive although I am not sure if there are more CD drivers needed for the kernel.

After that there is the question of performance - is there enough CPU to handle SBS, Touch display and also rip audio from CD.

MelonMonkey
2009-11-13, 09:41
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just use a normal CD player with analog or digital output connected to the same amplifier as the Touch?

For the life of me I can't see the logic in complicating this matter with a USB attached CD drive.

batka
2009-11-15, 10:26
Well, a related question.
I wonder the Touch will read music files (FLAC) from an USB attached DVD reader, that contains a burnt DVD-R disc? So I mean, FLAC from burnt DVD disc, from an external optical drive?

Thanks!

andyg
2009-11-15, 10:30
On Nov 15, 2009, at 12:26 PM, batka wrote:

>
> Well, a related question.
> I wonder the Touch will read music files (FLAC) from an USB attached
> DVD reader, that contains a burnt DVD-R disc? So I mean, FLAC from burnt
> DVD disc, from an external optical drive?

No, only writable drives are going to be supported.

batka
2009-11-15, 10:42
On Nov 15, 2009, at 12:26 PM, batka wrote:

>
> Well, a related question.
> I wonder the Touch will read music files (FLAC) from an USB attached
> DVD reader, that contains a burnt DVD-R disc? So I mean, FLAC from burnt
> DVD disc, from an external optical drive?

No, only writable drives are going to be supported.

:lol:
Writeble drives are perfect! They can read discs as well.

Thanks a lot, that sounds nice!

andyg
2009-11-15, 10:43
On Nov 15, 2009, at 12:42 PM, batka wrote:

>
> andyg;485726 Wrote:
>> On Nov 15, 2009, at 12:26 PM, batka wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Well, a related question.
>>> I wonder the Touch will read music files (FLAC) from an USB attached
>>> DVD reader, that contains a burnt DVD-R disc? So I mean, FLAC from
>> burnt
>>> DVD disc, from an external optical drive?
>>
>> No, only writable drives are going to be supported.
>
> :lol:
> Writeble drives are perfect! They can read discs as well.
>
> Thanks a lot, that sounds nice!

Maybe you misunderstood, only USB memory sticks and hard drives are supported. You can't use CD/DVD drives.

batka
2009-11-15, 10:51
Maybe you misunderstood, only USB memory sticks and hard drives are supported. You can't use CD/DVD drives.

Ah OK! Yeah then I misunderstood indeed!
I thought you mean "writeable" by optical drives that can burn discs.
OK, now I understand, no optical drives by default.

Thanks for clarification!

JohnSwenson
2009-11-15, 18:18
I think the issue is that the server has to write the database file to the external drive. Even if you have a DVDRW drive and disk, the OS still sees it as a readonly device. In order to write to it you have to use special burning software not just normal filesystem writes.

John S.

RadioClash
2009-11-15, 19:26
Well, a related question.
I wonder the Touch will read music files (FLAC) from an USB attached DVD reader, that contains a burnt DVD-R disc? So I mean, FLAC from burnt DVD disc, from an external optical drive?

Thanks!

Why not just transfer those files from the DVD to a USB hard drive?

Hamnberj
2009-11-16, 02:08
Hi again!

It might seem a bit odd to add a USB CD to a Squeezebox. Probably easier to connect an ordinary audio Cdplayer as someone said.

My problem is that i want to make a squeezebox combo with the Nuforce Icon amp which only got a single analog input.
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/crave/hav/63004455/sc002.jpg

The only way to play audio CD's as well as ripped media from my NAS would be using the USB port on the squeezebox.

The Nuforce Icon features a very capable USB DAC so if it's possible to get digital outfrom the Touch via USB to the external DAC the amp would have an unused audio input for a audio cd player.

Of course is the cd player just a temporary solution until all media is stored at the NAs server.

/J

lrossouw
2009-11-17, 23:28
There is a plugin that allows you play a CD over squeeze where the CD is in the drive of the PC running the SqueezeBox server. Not exactly what you are looking for but should do for a stop gap.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47288

Not sure if the plugin is still working etc.

Cheers
Louis

colantra
2009-11-18, 06:15
Wouldn't it be easier to simply rip the remaining couple of hundred CD's - from what I've read it would seem we've got a least a month or longer before the Touch is released!

Hamnberj
2009-11-18, 08:18
Haha... that's true!

"Wouldn't it be easier to simply rip the remaining couple of hundred CD's - from what I've read it would seem we've got a least a month or longer before the Touch is released!"

Probably what I'll do!

/J