PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get SPDIF to a 16/44.1 DAC - Squeezebox Touch or Fit-Pc NetJacked&convert

miab
2009-11-13, 01:52
I think John Swenson has direct experience with this (if your listening:~)

I'm really only interested in sending 16/44.1 into SPDIF of my DAC. I want the best possible(lowest jitter) signal into the Dac and don't mind going through a steep learning curve getting there. I'm now storing all music remotely on a server running Windows Home Server. I recently bought a FIT-PC and before going through set-up for a NetJack based set-up, I was wondering if the new Squeezebox Touch could end up being superior? If I used the Fit-PC I would still have to get the USB out to a SPDIF. I was thinking of a couple of the new Async converter units like the Musiland 01usd but even then how would my Dac communicate in an Async fashion with it? I mean the Musiland (or others like it) might control the signal from the computer but on the other side what happens on the dac end if your only using them as USB/SPDIF converters and not Dac's?

mhaas
2011-02-08, 07:09
Me too have the same dilemma - SB Touch or extra cash on Fit-PC2 (or similar) with USB-SPDIF converter (M2TECH Hiface) and external DAC (Beresford Caiman)?
Anybody compared these two setups? How much difference would you expect? I already own the DAC and the Hiface device, but the player is an old PC accessing the NAS. All is controlled from my android phone (as it would be with the Touch) so the question really is - Touch or Fit-PC2? Any thoughts?
Cheers

garym
2011-02-08, 07:46
Me too have the same dilemma - SB Touch or extra cash on Fit-PC2 (or similar) with USB-SPDIF converter (M2TECH Hiface) and external DAC (Beresford Caiman)?
Anybody compared these two setups? How much difference would you expect? I already own the DAC and the Hiface device, but the player is an old PC accessing the NAS. All is controlled from my android phone (as it would be with the Touch) so the question really is - Touch or Fit-PC2? Any thoughts?
Cheers

the fitpc2i would make a nice SERVER for running SbS. But if you're looking for a PLAYER, I recommend the TOUCH > DAC (or not) > amp/preamp vs fitcp2i > S/PDIF (or USB) > DAC > preamp/amp

mhaas
2011-02-08, 07:58
the fitpc2i would make a nice SERVER for running SbS. But if you're looking for a PLAYER, I recommend the TOUCH > DAC (or not) > amp/preamp vs fitcp2i > S/PDIF (or USB) > DAC > preamp/amp

Thanks garym,
Is your recommendation based on costs?

garym
2011-02-08, 08:06
Thanks garym,
Is your recommendation based on costs?

No, with cost no object, and even if I still wanted to use a DAC, I'd prefer the TOUCH as a player/transport over any PC serving a DAC (even fitpc2i). I have 3 Touch players which I quite like and my main system is using a TRANSPORTER.

JohnSwenson
2011-02-08, 15:05
Neither the Hiface nor the Musiland will work with Linux. If you are going to use a fitpc2 I would not use anything other than linux.

I've just been playing with a HRT Music Streamer II on the Touch (an async interface) and its still very Dependant on whats going on in the computer.

I personally do not like the Musiland, I think the Hiface is much better. The Touch hardware implementation is slightly better than the Hiface.

The problem here is that S/PDIF receivers vary wildly, whats going to work best is the one that matches your receiver the best not necessarily the one that is technically the "best". You can have two S/PDIF transmitters, number one has lower jitter than number 2, but number 2 can actually sound better because it has a better impedance match to your receiver. If all receiver REALLY had a true 75 ohm input impedance this would be a slam dunk, but its not, they vary all over the place.

So unfortunately the only way to do this is to try a whole bunch of different things and find out what sounds best to you.

Personally I would just go with the Touch digital out and hope for the best. You can also try soundcheck's mods, in some situations they do help the digital outs.

I have done a lot of testing different computers (and Touch) with USB out, primarily with a EMU 0404, and found the fitpc slim to be the best. The Fitpc2 was not as good as the slim. The best results were with the slim running netjack2. It was slightly better than running off the Touch. All this was before soundcheck's mods. I'll have to try all this again with the Streamer II.

John S.

mhaas
2011-02-09, 05:12
Neither the Hiface nor the Musiland will work with Linux. If you are going to use a fitpc2 I would not use anything other than linux.

I've just been playing with a HRT Music Streamer II on the Touch (an async interface) and its still very Dependant on whats going on in the computer.

I personally do not like the Musiland, I think the Hiface is much better. The Touch hardware implementation is slightly better than the Hiface.

The problem here is that S/PDIF receivers vary wildly, whats going to work best is the one that matches your receiver the best not necessarily the one that is technically the "best". You can have two S/PDIF transmitters, number one has lower jitter than number 2, but number 2 can actually sound better because it has a better impedance match to your receiver. If all receiver REALLY had a true 75 ohm input impedance this would be a slam dunk, but its not, they vary all over the place.

So unfortunately the only way to do this is to try a whole bunch of different things and find out what sounds best to you.

Personally I would just go with the Touch digital out and hope for the best. You can also try soundcheck's mods, in some situations they do help the digital outs.

I have done a lot of testing different computers (and Touch) with USB out, primarily with a EMU 0404, and found the fitpc slim to be the best. The Fitpc2 was not as good as the slim. The best results were with the slim running netjack2. It was slightly better than running off the Touch. All this was before soundcheck's mods. I'll have to try all this again with the Streamer II.

John S.

Thanks JohnSwenson,
I'd run the FitPC2 with WinXP and Foobar as I already do on an old PC with the Hiface. I also use an Android remote control for Foobar. The sound is great but the PC is too noisy and power inefficient. That's the reason I'd like to replace it with Fit-PC2 and solid state disk for the OS. The idea of using the Touch came later - it would be cheaper, but would the sound be comparably good? I guess I have to get the Touch and try. I was just wondering if somebody already did it. BTW what makes you say the Touch hardware implementation is slightly better than the Hiface?
Cheers

JohnSwenson
2011-02-09, 15:29
Thanks JohnSwenson,
I'd run the FitPC2 with WinXP and Foobar as I already do on an old PC with the Hiface. I also use an Android remote control for Foobar. The sound is great but the PC is too noisy and power inefficient. That's the reason I'd like to replace it with Fit-PC2 and solid state disk for the OS. The idea of using the Touch came later - it would be cheaper, but would the sound be comparably good? I guess I have to get the Touch and try. I was just wondering if somebody already did it. BTW what makes you say the Touch hardware implementation is slightly better than the Hiface?
Cheers

The way the Touch handles its clocks and reclocks the data stream with the clock is done extremely well, better than how the Hiface does it. The raw clocks inside the two are pretty similar, so the Touch will have lower jitter on the output. The details of the actual S/PDIF out are different, as I mentioned before its very hard to say which is "better", different DACs will give the best match with different S/PDIF outs. So some DACs are going to sound better with the Hiface and some with the Touch. Its impossible to tell without actually trying.

John S.