PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox server software and headless Windows Home Server

miab
2009-11-13, 00:21
Will running the necessary Squeezebox Server software be a problem on WHS(Windows Home Server)? Or because the WHS is headless would I install the Squeezebox software on another computer in the network and run music from the shared files accessable from that desktop/laptop?

mherger
2009-11-13, 00:44
> Will running the necessary Squeezebox Server software be a problem on
> WHS(Windows Home Server)?

No. You can install SBS through the WHS console.

gcurrie
2009-11-13, 18:27
Windows Home Server works quite well as an SBS host. Since it's meant to be on 24/7 (or close to it) you never need to boot up computers in order to listen to your music.

I'd advise keeping your music library on there as well, it simplifies things greatly (as well as being duplicated if you choose for safety).

Themis
2009-11-14, 00:10
Will running the necessary Squeezebox Server software be a problem on WHS(Windows Home Server)? Or because the WHS is headless would I install the Squeezebox software on another computer in the network and run music from the shared files accessable from that desktop/laptop?
I've been running Squeezebox Server WHS plug-in since it was made, almost a year ago. It works perfectly well.
Just be sure to install the plug-in version, not the standard Windows version (although the latter also works well).

jmpage2
2009-11-17, 15:47
I run the WHS add-in version of Squeezebox Server and can also validate that it works very well.

If you go with the HP flavors of WHS you also get the media collector feature which will automatically pull all of the media files in from your various computers and dump them into the appropriate server share.

This greatly simplifies library management between multiple computers, especially if each machine has different audio files loaded onto it.