PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding synchronization between Squeezebox Server & Mysqueezebox.com

sirozha
2009-11-12, 20:39
Hi,

I have been using a Squeezebox Boom for 5 days now with Squeezebox Server 7.4.1 and iPeng.

Today I realized that apps from the App Gallery on Mysqueezebox.com and plugins in Squeezebox Server are not the same thing. What makes it confusing is that iPeng can install apps and put them in the My Apps menu, and then I can see these Apps in the Squeezebox Server under the My Apps menu. However, when I try to uninstall the apps from iPeng, the behavior is very inconsistent. Even though iPeng says it uninstalled them, they show up randomly in Squeezebox server. Neither are they gone from the iPeng's menu. When I tried to uninstall them from the My App menu in Squeezebox server, they would randomly appear or disappear in iPeng.

Another thing that aggravated me quite a bit was the hard time I was having trying to figure out how to add custom podcasts in Squeezebox Server and then play these podcasts on my Squeezebox Boom, while controlling the playback from iPeng. I found and app called Podcast Player, which I installed in iPeng. However, this app does not seem to have a way to add custom podcasts to the list of pre-configured podcasts. On the other hand, the Squeezebox server has a plugin named Podcasts (not to be confused with the Podcast Player app), which allows one to add custom podcasts by navigating to Squeezebox server settings --> Podcasts tab. However, I could not figure out a way to control the playback of these custom podcasts from iPeng.

I decided to switch my Squeezebox Boom from using the Squeezebox server to using Mysqueezebox.com. Suddenly, I realized that the apps that iPeng saw were the same apps available on Mysqueezebox.com When I tried to delete the Podcast Player app in Mysqueezebox.com, it was gone from iPeng. When I added the Podcast Player add in iPeng it appeared in Mysqueezebox.com. So far so good! Then I clicked on the Podcast Player app in Mysqueezebox.com and saw a place where I could add a custom podcast. It was similar to the Podcast plugin in Squeezebox server. So, I added a custom podcast in Podcast Player app on Mysqueezebox.com, and I was able to see this custom podcast in iPeng under Podcast Player. So, my conclusion is that at least the podcast feature works quite a bit better between iPeng and Mysqueezebox.com than it does between iPeng and Squeezebox server.

Finally, I switched my Squeezebox Boom back to Squeezebox server, but this time I went to Squeezebox server settings and under the "mysqueezebox.com" tab enabled the integration between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com. In this configuration, I was still able to add podcasts in Podcast Player on Mysqueezebox.com and see them using Podcast Player in iPeng as well as to control the playback of these podcasts from iPeng. Then, I proceeded to remove the Podcast plugin from the list of plugins in Squeezebox server, and I was still able to use iPeng's Podcast Player to see and play custom podcasts added in Podcast Player on Mysqueezebox.com. Moreover, when I deleted some podcasts from Mysqueezebox.com, they were gone in iPeng even though iPeng was talking to the Squeezebox server and not to Mysqueezebox directly.

However, I am still a little confused. I see that there are a lot of Squeezebox player settings that can be set both in Squeezebox server and in Mysqueezebox.com. Even though the integration between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com is enabled, the player settings configured in Mysqueezebox.com have absolutely no effect on the way the Squeezebox Boom behaves as long as it is connected to the Squeezebox server. Changes in the player settings performed in Squeezebox server take an immediate effect on the Squeezebox Boom, though.

It appears that this integration works fairly well when it comes to apps available on Mysqueezebox.com except that Podcast Player does not show up in My Apps in the Squeezebox server, but it shows up in both iPeng and Mysqueezebox.com. All other applications are completely synchronized among iPeng, the Squeezebox Server, and Mysqueezebox.com. It also seems like when integration between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com is enabled, the Squeezebox server transparently passes information between Podcast Player in iPeng and Podcast Player in Mysqueezebox.com. However, neither the alarms nor the favorites are synchronized between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com when the integration is enabled. Both alarms and favorites can be configured in iPeng or Squeezebox server when the Squeezebox device is set to be connected to the Squeezebox server. Configuring alarms or favorites in Mysqueezebox.com has no effect on the Squeezebox device when it is configured to be connected to the Squeezebox server.

Can someone explain the difference between the Squeezebox server plugins and the apps available in iPeng and in Mysqueezebox.com?
What features are supposed to be synchronized between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com when integration is enabled?

Sorry for this long post, but I am going crazy trying to understand how all these pieces work together.

gcurrie
2009-11-13, 00:36
I don't know for sure, but I think the integration is somewhat a 'work in progress.' That would be why you are seeing less than consistent behaviors.

I have noticed that by moving from 7.4 to 7.4.1 to 7.4.2 beta and now 7.5.0 beta, the integration seems to be getting more solid. Possibly work is also being done to MySb.com at the same time.

I just don't think we can count on the integration to be complete at this point. It's worlds better than 6 weeks ago, so I feel it will be there by the end of the year.

bpa
2009-11-13, 00:59
However, this app does not seem to have a way to add custom podcasts to the list of pre-configured podcasts

Did you try adding them in the Podcast app tab on mysqueezebox.com.

I think the intention is that your podcast list is the same whether you are running your player on SBS or mysqueezebox.com.

toby10
2009-11-13, 04:23
Can someone explain the difference between the Squeezebox server plugins and the apps available in iPeng and in Mysqueezebox.com?
What features are supposed to be synchronized between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com when integration is enabled?..........

Plugins are installed and configurable and usable only on your local SBS server on your computer.
Apps are installed on MySB.com but are usable by both MySB.com and your local SBS server.
SBS will always have more customization and configurability options than MySB.com as SBS uses MySB in the background PLUS has all of the features and functions of the full SBS server program.

Current player "integration" between SBS and MySB is basically limited to the player settings (brightness, text size, etc..). Changes made on the web UI for such settings (SBS or MySB) are instantaneous back to the player, but obviously the player must be connected to the apropriate server (SBS or MySB) where you are making the web UI changes.

What I don't know is which server's player settings take precedence. If SBS and MySB have different settings for screen text size, and these settings are "integrated" or shared, do SBS settings prevail over MySB? Or vice versa?

sirozha
2009-11-13, 05:29
Did you try adding them in the Podcast app tab on mysqueezebox.com.

I think the intention is that your podcast list is the same whether you are running your player on SBS or mysqueezebox.com.

Yes, when I add the podcasts in Mysqueezebox.com, and the integration between the Squeezebox server and Mysqueezebox.com is enabled, I can see and play the podcasts in iPeng's Podcast Player app. However, adding podcasts in the Squeezebox server preferences "Podcasts" tab has no effect on iPeng's Podcast Player app - it does not see them. Morevoer, I can uninstall the "Podcasts" plugin from the Squeezebox server and still see in iPeng's Podcast Player app the podcasts added in Mysqueezebox.com.

sirozha
2009-11-13, 05:42

Current player "integration" between SBS and MySB is basically limited to the player settings (brightness, text size, etc..). Changes made on the web UI for such settings (SBS or MySB) are instantaneous back to the player, but obviously the player must be connected to the apropriate server (SBS or MySB) where you are making the web UI changes.

What I don't know is which server's player settings take precedence. If SBS and MySB have different settings for screen text size, and these settings are "integrated" or shared, do SBS settings prevail over MySB? Or vice versa?

From my testing, the player settings (brightness, text size, etc) must be configured on the "server" to which the Squeezebox device is connected - SBS or MySB - regardless of the integration status between the SBS and MySB (enabled or disabled). And that's exactly what is so confusing. The integration should mean that all these settings are synchronized: you make a change in MySB and it should propagate to SBS and vice versa. But none of these settings is currently synchronized.

The integration between SBS and MySB works only for apps, but again, the Podcast Player app installed in MySB and showing in iPeng does not show up in the My Apps list in SBS.

Finally, when the Squeezebox device is connected to the SBS, the integration between SBS and MySB results in the Podcast Player's podcasts added on MySB showing in the iPeng Podcast Player app, but not visible anywhere in SBS; therefore, SBS acts as a proxy between the Squeezebox device and MySB in this case. The SBS's Podcast plugin seems completely useless if you want to use iPeng to control your Squeezebox device. You can uninstall it and the SBS continues to proxy the podcasts added in MySB to the Squeezebox device, and iPeng can see and play these podcasts.