PDA

View Full Version : Touch have Wireless Bridge Functionality?

jt25741
2009-11-11, 22:56
Hi,

As a SB3 user, I have come to heavily rely on the Wireless Bridge functionality to connect my Popcorn Hour, TV and other devices that don't have Wifi and only ethernet. Has this functionality been kept on the new Touch? I certainly hope so :) Thanks for the info.

Regards

radish
2009-11-12, 06:55
I believe so, although I haven't tested it personally.

alfista
2009-11-12, 07:13
See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=458962&postcount=4 for some info on the subject.

808htfan
2010-04-08, 19:05
Hi. Wondering if this is available now that the Touch and SBS 7.5 is out?

Thanks

peterw
2010-04-08, 19:35
Hi. Wondering if this is available now that the Touch and SBS 7.5 is out?

I don't think so. I don't see any options in the firmware for 7.5.0 and this bug hasn't been closed yet: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11150

jt25741
2010-04-08, 21:04
I don't think so. I don't see any options in the firmware for 7.5.0 and this bug hasn't been closed yet: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11150

This is one feature that is stopping me from upgrading.

welom
2010-04-08, 22:38
This is one feature that is stopping me from upgrading.

Until the bug gets fixed: Use the SB3 as deluxe clock/wireless bridge! :-)

Swimmerbird123
2010-04-09, 06:49
Am I right, though, that the Touch's ability to connect directly to a USB drive may eliminate the need for bridging in some cases?

I have my SB3 connecting wirelessly to my network in bridge mode, and then a music server wired directly into the SB3 with a crossover cable. It is a great way to combine the reliability of a wired interface for streaming my music library with the convenience of placing the computer and SB3 near my stereo, not near my router.

But with the Touch, if i understand it right, I should be able just to connect the Touch to my network in the normal (non-bridged) wireless way, and then simply plug a large USB drive with my music library on it into the Touch, and thus have the same streaming reliability as before.

Right?

Swimmer

alfista
2010-04-09, 07:04
I have my SB3 connecting wirelessly to my network in bridge mode, and then a music server wired directly into the SB3 with a crossover cable. It is a great way to combine the reliability of a wired interface for streaming my music library with the convenience of placing the computer and SB3 near my stereo, not near my router.

Well I wouldn't necessarily consider placing the computer near the stereo a convenience, and if I understand correctly your setup is no more wired than if you had used a wireless connection straight from your computer. It still involves two wireless hops even if they use the same endpoints for both.

But with the Touch, if i understand it right, I should be able just to connect the Touch to my network in the normal (non-bridged) wireless way, and then simply plug a large USB drive with my music library on it into the Touch, and thus have the same streaming reliability as before.
Well, there are less networking involved so from that perspective it should definitely be more reliable.

Anyhow, I don't think this in any way negates the niftiness nor the need for the wireless bridge function. While the setup you're running today apparently works, I think it's pretty unique. My guess is that people mostly use the bridge for puposes other than providing the SBS with network access.

Swimmerbird123
2010-04-09, 07:46
I think you misunderstand. There is only one wireless hop - from the router to the SB3. The SB3 acts as a wireless access point. In fact, I needed to turn off the wireless connection on the computer for it to show up properly on the network map. The computer can still use the SB3's bridge for internet access. I can even stream movies from amazon and other sites over the SB3 into the computer and then via HDMI onto a plasma screen, although for HD it is usually better to let the whole movie download before streaming. So, yes, it is a big convenience for me to have this server (a small quiet Dell Zino) near the stereo & plasma TV.

Swimmer

alfista
2010-04-09, 08:36
I think you misunderstand. There is only one wireless hop - from the router to the SB3.
Yes, that I understand, but from a streaming perspective there are two wireless hops as far as I can see. First data from the server to the router (via the SB) and then from the router back to the SB. Exactly the same as if you had used the wireless on the computer.

Nothing wrong about that, just that it's not as "wired" as you seem to think. And nothing wrong with having your server next to your stereo and TV, just that I think it's more common for people to consider it a convenience not having to have the server in the listening/viewing room.

andynormancx
2010-04-09, 08:47
Erm no. His server is plugged into his SB3, so from a Squeezebox point of view he actually has zero wireless hops.

alfista
2010-04-09, 09:12
Erm no. His server is plugged into his SB3, so from a Squeezebox point of view he actually has zero wireless hops.
Well, perhaps the networking of the SB3 is more competent than I give it credit for. My assumption was that both SB3 and server would have the wireless router as default gateway in a setup like this and thus the traffic would pass through the router. Sadly, it's been quite a while since I worked with networks so the details about stuff like this are no longer in the cache...

andynormancx
2010-04-09, 09:34
Bridges normally work by keeping a list of MAC addresses, so that they know which devices are on the local side of the bridge. No default gateway involved for devices on the same subnet.

bigbwb
2010-04-09, 11:04
So what is the consensus, does the Touch offer the bridge functunality like the SB3? I use this feature on my SB3 for my Directv HDDVR box and hope the touch has it too.

awy
2010-04-10, 01:25
So what is the consensus, does the Touch offer the bridge functunality like the SB3?

No

Phileas
2010-04-10, 02:03
His server is plugged into his SB3, so from a Squeezebox point of view he actually has zero wireless hops.

I'm confused. I assumed that the bridge function allowed me to wire a network device to the SB3 and thereby use the wifi connection to reach another network device.

Are you saying that I could use the SB3 as a second wireless access point?

bigbwb
2010-04-10, 06:28
No

Bummer. I imagine there is no chance of it being added down the road either?

alfista
2010-04-10, 15:16
Bummer. I imagine there is no chance of it being added down the road either?
As reported earlier in this thread, it is (or at least was) planned.

bigbwb
2010-04-10, 15:28
As reported earlier in this thread, it is (or at least was) planned.

Thanks guys for the updates. Well in the event it is not implemented, I already ran another network cable for my DVR:)