PDA

View Full Version : new user - sheevaplug

mweb
2009-11-11, 13:29
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and don't own a squeezebox. I'm considering purchasing several. Since the SheevaPlug device concerns me the most, I posted here.

I currently use a j rivers based system for whole house distribution to 5 zones and am looking for something more reliable and efficient.

My plans are to purchase:
Squeezebox (the one that comes with the duet) for each zone
SheevaPlug - 003-SP1A00 available at globalscaletechnologies.com
ipeng software for iphone for control

Once I get all of the parts, I'll follow the SheevaPlug_Installation_guide someone was nice enough to post on the wiki to install Squeezecenter on the SheevaPlug. Then I'll install the ipeng plugin, download the app to my phone, and complete any necessary library management steps in squeezecenter. I'll also need to configure the IR plugin that I believe is included with Squeezecenter to power on/off my external amplifiers. My music files are stored on a NAS (one that I can't install Squeezecenter on).

My questions are:
1 - I'd like a setup that is very reliable. If frequent restarts and power cycles are required, I'll be unhappy. Is the setup I describe reliable?
2 - Is any knowledge of Linux needed for the setup of the SheevaPlug? I have none, but can follow instructions like those in the wiki.
3 - Are there any components that I'm missing? Is a SD card required or preferable for the SheevaPlug?

Thanks for any advice. Hope they aren't dumb questions. At this point, all I know about the squeezebox setup has been learned from 4 or 5 hours of reading the forum and wiki.

Matt

raven22
2009-11-13, 02:31
my opinion:

1. i can only comment on the sheeva, it is very stable
2. a little bit of knowledge is nice to have, but you will learn quickly since it is not difficult and there is plenty of information and howto's available. Quite a few people are using the plug for their squeezeboxes so you can ask for help here if needed.
3. is not needed but nice to have because it is easier to make a backup (using acronis or other image software) and since flash memory tends to wear out over time is easy replaceble. a 2gb card will be plenty

radish
2009-11-13, 10:03
1 - I'd like a setup that is very reliable. If frequent restarts and power cycles are required, I'll be unhappy. Is the setup I describe reliable?

Should be. In fact, in my experience most problems occur around power cycles, so keep everything up 24/7 and be happy.

There are some other things you should be aware of:

1) You mention using Receivers (the SBR), you also mention the IR Blaster plugin. The SBR has no way of sending IR signals, so that's not going to work. You need an SB2/3/Classic to use IR Blaster.

2) You don't need to install the iPeng plugin to use the iPeng app - they're separate although confusingly named!

3) You can't officially configure the SBRs out of the box without a Controller (that's why they're sold together in the Duet package). There is a command line tool called NetUDAP which will allow you to do it, but it's not supported by Logitech. More info on the forum.

bluegaspode
2009-11-13, 13:20
2 - Is any knowledge of Linux needed for the setup of the SheevaPlug? I have none, but can follow instructions like those in the wiki.
3 - Are there any components that I'm missing? Is a SD card required or preferable for the SheevaPlug?

1) My Sheeva-Plug is not rebooting, its on all the time
2) I think some knowledge is needed, but since now i was able to find all needed information with google. Bit hidden, but here is a short tutorial how I got my SheevaPlug running: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=479998#post479998
3) You should use a SD-Card, as the built in 500MB are not enough for the OS, SB-Server + MS-SQL database with all your songs in it.
2GB is enough though, mine is filled with 1GB now

raven22
2009-11-13, 13:26
1) My Sheeva-Plug is not rebooting, its on all the time
2) I think some knowledge is needed, but since now i was able to find all needed information with google. Bit hidden, but here is a short tutorial how I got my SheevaPlug running: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=479998#post479998
3) You should use a SD-Card, as the built in 500MB are not enough for the OS, SB-Server + MS-SQL database with all your songs in it.
2GB is enough though, mine is filled with 1GB now

Maybe it is time to adjust your signature?

bluegaspode
2009-11-13, 14:28
Maybe it is time to adjust your signature?

Hehe ... as my SD-Card crashed, the linkstation still/again serves as the main server.
I'm still playing around with the sheeva ... wanted to try to connect to my windows share (to write a script which automatically mirrors the music library) - and this didn't work with the original kernel.

Now I installed a new kernel (from the plugcomputer-forums) and am reading about the UBIFS, that the guys from NewIT put on their SD-cards.
Lets see if I'll find the correct boot parametes then :)

raven22
2009-11-14, 01:01
I followed these steps to put debian with ubifs on the nand of the plug. It has some compression since i can put a lot on the plug and it is not full yet.
(SBS, MySql database with 16000 musictracks, webserver lighttpd+php, webmin, tonidosoftware): http://chiana.homelinux.org/~marc/eib_sheeva.html
This is a backup because i run normally from sd-card, installed via the debian installer http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html
So normally the plug starts from sd but when sd not present or corrupt it continues to startup from nand (sort of dualboot)

raven22
2009-11-14, 01:32
found this about ubifs on a sd-card:

Why not jffs2 or ubifs

What about file systems like jffs2 and ubifs, which are aware of flash card wearing?

SD cards, according to SanDisk specs, should have wear leveling logic, which controls the number of writes and remaps blocks as needed. Wear-aware file systems might actually play against the logic of the card and are usually not recommendable.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FileSystem_microSD_cards#Why_not_jffs2_or_ubifs

mweb
2009-11-14, 09:18
Thanks for the useful info. It appears that the 2/3/classic are discontinued. After some more research it looks like I could use the powercenter plugin with some x10/insteon hardware to power the amps on/off. I've read some bad things about the duet controller and since I've got an iphone, I wonder if it is worth buying one. The cost isn't a big issue, but don't want to spend the money if I'll never use it.

Thanks again for the tips.

peterw
2009-11-14, 12:24
Thanks for the useful info. It appears that the 2/3/classic are discontinued.

They may be discontinued soon, but can't you find enough for your needs now???