PDA

View Full Version : SB3 funny characters and re-setting HELP!

hurstie1981
2009-11-11, 07:53
Hello,
Im hoping someone out there can help me, but im having a major issue with my SB3.
When i plug it in, it goes through the normal start up screens etc, then it tries to detect my network...asks me to type in the WEP key, and then some of the letters on screen start flashing, and changing into other characters.
When i try and put in the key, its just all nonsensical flashing random letters...then it resets itself.
Ive contacted Tech support, but in the mean time i just wanted to see if anyone else had had this problem.

Thanks

Graham

jrichardson
2009-11-11, 08:11
Have you tried doing the factory and or xilinx reset(s) yet? Does that change the behavior at all.

Does this happen with in a few milliseconds of you plugging in power, or a few minutes later? could be a thermal problem

Check the AC adapter, is it cool/warm/hot/lava-like to the touch? could be an AC adapter issue.

If you feel like taking your unit apart, some times resetting the Wireless Card can solve these types of issue. If the unit is still under warranty, don't do this. if its out of warranty, it may be worth while cracking it open

hurstie1981
2009-11-11, 08:15
Hi, excuse my ignorance, but i dont know how to reset it properly....i have tried holding the brightness button, but it doesn't do a firmware upgrade, merely changes the brightnessvery quickly!
It is covered by waranty, so maybe if a simple fix on here wont work, then it may have to go back!
And i dont think its a power issue, however i do have another squeezebox, so will try that power supply on it.

hurstie1981
2009-11-11, 08:22
Hi, i have just googled how to do both of those resets, and niether work.
It just gets stuck in a re-setting loop...where once it gets to finding network, the screen goes off and it boots up again!!

jrichardson
2009-11-11, 08:23
Hi, excuse my ignorance, but i dont know how to reset it properly....i have tried holding the brightness button, but it doesn't do a firmware upgrade, merely changes the brightnessvery quickly!

Firmware update won't happen till you connected it to a server. Check out the WIKI which has the info you need:

https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox3rdGeneration
or
https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_Reset_commands

It is covered by waranty, so maybe if a simple fix on here wont work, then it may have to go back!
And i dont think its a power issue, however i do have another squeezebox, so will try that power supply on it.

Swapping the AC adapter is a good first start. If that or the reset doesn't help, wait for TS to get back with you for a replacement.