PDA

View Full Version : Printing My Playlists

JayLaFunk
2009-11-11, 06:18
Hi,

Is there any way I can copy the track listings of my playlists (M3u) so that I could print them for reference...

At the moment I am opening them up (M3u) with notepad and copying into word but it is very time consuming...

Cheers
Jay

aubuti
2009-11-11, 07:03
You could save a step by printing directly from Notepad, or any other text editor, such as TextPad. Or you could associate m3u files with Word and print directly from Windows Explorer with a right click. You can switch the m3u association back to whatever you normally prefer after printing.

JayLaFunk
2009-11-11, 07:14
You could save a step by printing directly from Notepad, or any other text editor, such as TextPad. Or you could associate m3u files with Word and print directly from Windows Explorer with a right click. You can switch the m3u association back to whatever you normally prefer after printing.

Thank you for the reply

I am using Notepad for the replace option as the m3u file contains some text stuff I don't want in the final print, will use word as you say as that also has the find & replace option, just thought there was an easier solution which would give me the "Artist - Track" that is in the m3u file, copy & Paste then print...

Jay

usch
2009-11-11, 07:19
Maybe this can help:

http://download.cnet.com/M3u-To-HTML-Converter/3000-2141_4-10405114.html

Disclaimer: I didn't try it, I have no idea what it does exactly, I just figured it could be useful.

If all else fails you might be able to write a Word macro that reads the M3U file and reformats it to your needs.

JayLaFunk
2009-11-11, 07:41
Maybe this can help:

http://download.cnet.com/M3u-To-HTML-Converter/3000-2141_4-10405114.html

Disclaimer: I didn't try it, I have no idea what it does exactly, I just figured it could be useful.

If all else fails you might be able to write a Word macro that reads the M3U file and reformats it to your needs.

Cheers, tried that and it gives me a text file which covers my needs, it associates all my m3u files with wma rather than winamp but no problem to turn back after use...

I have found something similar which was easier than what I was doing, copy all the playlists (m3u files) from my NAS to my netbook, open up in winamp then go to misc - misc - generate HTML Playlist, copy and paste from that...

Cheers Jay

Dogberry2
2009-11-11, 08:38
Rather than playing around with the M3U text files and having to do a lot of reformatting, I go right to the server database, using the MySQL Query Browser. That way I can pull the individual fields, export the results to a spreadsheet, and format and print (or email to friends) a readable playlist, including the artist and album each track is pulled from. I'm not currently at my personal PC where my queries are saved, but I think the query I use is pretty much like this:

/* Query to get the tracks in all playlists */
select cast(t2.title AS char(100)) AS "Playlist",
pl.position + 1 AS "Track Number",
cast(tr.title AS char(100)) AS "Song Title",
if(al.compilation = 1, "Various Artists", cast(co.name AS char(100))) AS "Artist",
cast(al.title AS char(100)) AS "Album Title",
tr.url AS "File Path"
from tracks t2,
playlist_track pl,
tracks tr,
albums al,
contributor_track ct,
contributors co
where t2.content_type = "ssp"
and pl.playlist = t2.id
and tr.url = pl.track
and al.id = tr.album
and ct.track = tr.id
and ct.role = 1
and co.id = ct.contributor
order by 1, 2

This gives me the information I want, broken out by playlist name, and with a little formatting in Excel I can print something like:

Playlist: Messin' Around

Track: Song: Artist: Album:
1 Hypnotized Fleetwood Mac Mystery To Me
2 Rub Me Raw Warren Zevon The Wind
3 Rack 'Em Up Jonny Lang Lie To Me
4 Elmira St. Boogie Danny Gatton Hot Rod Guitar
5 Turn It Up Todd Snider Songs For The Daily Planet
6 Mess Around Ray Charles Greatest Hits
7 : : :
8 : : :

The query can be modified to include things like year and genre, if you like. In any case, it saves me the trouble of having to format full-path file names down into just song titles and artists, and lets me fill in other information as desired. I run this periodically (if I've added new playlists, or made significant changes) and export it to a spreadsheet that has the proper formatting already set up; that way it's handy when I need it.

JayLaFunk
2009-11-11, 09:06
Rather than playing around with the M3U text files and having to do a lot of reformatting, I go right to the server database, using the MySQL Query Browser. That way I can pull the individual fields, export the results to a spreadsheet, and format and print (or email to friends) a readable playlist, including the artist and album each track is pulled from. I'm not currently at my personal PC where my queries are saved, but I think the query I use is pretty much like this:

/* Query to get the tracks in all playlists */
select cast(t2.title AS char(100)) AS "Playlist",
pl.position + 1 AS "Track Number",
cast(tr.title AS char(100)) AS "Song Title",
if(al.compilation = 1, "Various Artists", cast(co.name AS char(100))) AS "Artist",
cast(al.title AS char(100)) AS "Album Title",
tr.url AS "File Path"
from tracks t2,
playlist_track pl,
tracks tr,
albums al,
contributor_track ct,
contributors co
where t2.content_type = "ssp"
and pl.playlist = t2.id
and tr.url = pl.track
and al.id = tr.album
and ct.track = tr.id
and ct.role = 1
and co.id = ct.contributor
order by 1, 2

This gives me the information I want, broken out by playlist name, and with a little formatting in Excel I can print something like:

Playlist: Messin' Around

Track: Song: Artist: Album:
1 Hypnotized Fleetwood Mac Mystery To Me
2 Rub Me Raw Warren Zevon The Wind
3 Rack 'Em Up Jonny Lang Lie To Me
4 Elmira St. Boogie Danny Gatton Hot Rod Guitar
5 Turn It Up Todd Snider Songs For The Daily Planet
6 Mess Around Ray Charles Greatest Hits
7 : : :
8 : : :

The query can be modified to include things like year and genre, if you like. In any case, it saves me the trouble of having to format full-path file names down into just song titles and artists, and lets me fill in other information as desired. I run this periodically (if I've added new playlists, or made significant changes) and export it to a spreadsheet that has the proper formatting already set up; that way it's handy when I need it.

Hi,

That looks good, looks what I am after, but way above my league to understand, good you can add what you want exported to a file, I would like Artist/Track/Album/Duration, will try to read up about it...

Cheers
Jay

Dogberry2
2009-11-12, 08:38
Hi,

That looks good, looks what I am after, but way above my league to understand, good you can add what you want exported to a file, I would like Artist/Track/Album/Duration, will try to read up about it...

Cheers
JayJay, as we talked about in PM, I will put together a step-by-step write-up of how I get basic spreadsheet lists of track, albums, artists, playlists, etc. using MySQL and pass it along to you. If it works for you, I'll go ahead and post it here after we get the kinks worked out, so perhaps others can use it as well.

JayLaFunk
2009-11-12, 08:59
Jay, as we talked about in PM, I will put together a step-by-step write-up of how I get basic spreadsheet lists of track, albums, artists, playlists, etc. using MySQL and pass it along to you. If it works for you, I'll go ahead and post it here after we get the kinks worked out, so perhaps others can use it as well.

Hi,

Many thanks...

Jay